Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

I call this time of year plague season for a reason, and typically put some form of contingencies in place to account for an increased level of absence at work. This year I doubled up on that as I expect the first plague season post lockdown to be like other years but more so. I even saw my first “NHS hits record levels of bad things” headline the other day, several months before expected.

TL:DR; late October is always bad for sniffles, snuffles and other baddies.

2 Likes

Painfully sore!

1 11" deadlift
4 x 6 @ 157,5 kg

2 snatch grip rdl
4 x 8 @ 105 kg

3 lat pull down
4 x 12

4 hip thrust (5 sec. Ecc.)
4 x 6 @ 110 kg

5 bulgarian split squat
3 x 10 @ 22,5 kg db

Notes:

• in one word: Pain. Ouch.
  • I feel like my workouts read easy when written down but damn I’m sore, haha.
4 Likes

??? Uhh??? Nope!

You’re really not supposed to sleep in the sauna, mate.

4 Likes

@anna_5588 haha good to know. It just looks like not much written down. It adds up though and my coach said that the accessories seem to do the trick and I shall “…keep dying away” :smiley:

@Cyrrex I don’t do what society tells me. If I’m naked and comfortable, I’ll sleep wherever I am.

4 Likes

This made me tingle

3 Likes

Fatigue from last week isn’t out of the system yet. Work still crazy but got a solid nap in today! That helped immensely.

1 oh squat
4 x 6 @ 60 kg

2 deadlift
4 x 5 @ 175 kg

3 log lift (clean once)
6 x 2 @ 101 kg

4a seated cable row
4 x 12

4b db windmills
3 x 8 @ 17,5 kg

Notes:

• solid but fatigued. Pulls felt good technically.
5 Likes

Woke with a bit of a stiff back. Everything was tight and a bit ouchie today. But training went well. Just a little too much stress. We got water damage on top of things. Well watcha gonna do.

1 pause squat
3 x 4 @ 130 kg

2 bench press
4 x 5 @ 107,5 kg

Felt surprisingly strong here today.

3 seated box jumps
5 x 3

4a ring pull up
4 x 4

Only possibility to so neutral grip. But hard.

4b ghr
4 x 4

3 Likes

No reason to brag, mate, it happens to lots of us.

1 Like

But … Does it though… Does it really?

Spa night tonight. Had no company sadly but very relaxing.

1 Like

Just not as often :wink:

1 Like

Not often. Definitely not often enough.

2 Likes

Stop being gross, guys, there are young people reading some of this.

2 Likes

Well today it happened… I just gave up. I don’t want to make all that many excuses, others have it harder, are more fatigued and so on. I have been operating too close to the limits of my recovery abilities lately. External stress was too high for my training pensum. I have trained harder in the past, I know this would work normally. It is what it is. I knew going in that top set would be a close call with how I felt leading up. Had on and off achy back and tightness everywhere in my body the whole week.
Taught the 2nd part of my little seminar beforehand.

1 deadlift

3 @ 140 kg
3 @ 170 kg
1 @ 195 kg
1 @ 210 kg
2 @ 220 kg - a real ‘on paper’ PR
1 @ 220 kg

Should have been a triple and I KNOW I can hit that. I will next time! I was nervous and full of doubt approaching the top set because I knew how fatigued I was and how hard this would get. That’s not how a winner approaches the bar.

2 log lift (clean once)
2 x 5 @ 96 kg

Stopped here. This was terrible.

I messaged Paul and asked him to take out log lifts for now. I am making zero progress currently and it’s taxing my back too much with all the deadlift work. I think a less taxing press like push jerks is better for now while we push the deadlift.

3 push jerk
Just messed around a little. Haven’t done this for a while. Did 120 for 3 and 4.

4 bent over row
3 x 10 @ 85 kg

5 cyclist squats
1 x 15 @ 70 kg

Stopped here. Had two sets of squats and abs left. I was just completely done mentally. I’m not proud of it. My back felt like two steel beams surrounded by cement.

I might skip tomorrow’s workout, depending on how I feel and then attack next week better recovered, with the right attitude and some god damn rage!

5 Likes

Sorry to read that you’ve felt so blah. Did you properly rest after both of your recent comps?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about having a day off. I took a little over a week off at the start of the month and it was all because of external stress. Sometimes you just know you are done and need to take a break.

1 Like

@Bagsy I would think so, yeah. I think the main point of interest is the stuff that’s actually happening outside of training but I could be wrong of course.

@simo74 yeah that’s true. I’m not worried about missing out on something by skipping a session. It’s more of a mental thing for me because I usually never let myself skip sessions and make excuses. I still went with it and stuck to my decision.

2 Likes

Well, either way, hopefully your weekend is relaxing.

1 Like

Thanks man, I needed that today.

1 Like