T Nation

Not Deadlifting

Quick Question:

When I add up all the work I do, by the end of the week, it's just too much. Front Squats, back squats, stiff leg deads alone plus PT formations are kicking my ass.

If I take out standard deads, am I really shortchanging myself? If so, to such a degree that I should rearrange my program to accomodate them?

My goals are nothing spectacular. I'm not a powerlifter and limit strength isn't a big priority for me. In fact, I can't remember the last time I tried for a 1RM.

Thanks in advance.

Keep the deadlift and drop the stiff legged deadlifts, or if you intended to drop them as well pick something else. Deadlifts are a total body workout, burn the most calories, and release the most hormones. The only time one shouldn't deadlift, when attempting to achieve any goal, is when instructed not to do so by a medical professional.

No need to DROP anything or do everything in one week, rotate stuff. various squats dl's etc. Dont ignore any of them. Best of both worlds.

What phil said. You can always add a lower body exercise on an upper body day as well. For instance, deadlift first on back day.

I love the deadlift and I feel it is a must in a program. I love the back squat and feel it is a must in a program. I love the front squat....
To many excercises, to little time. I think all of the lifts you mentioned are good and worth including. However, you can't do them all at once. If you try, and include PT in the mix, you will soon be overtrained and either burned out or hurting.

So here are a couple suggestions.
1) do them all. Day one, squat heavy, SLDL light. Day 2, DL heavy, front squat light.
2) Do one group of lifts for 4-6 weeks, then switch to another. You may find, for example, after 4-6 weeks of not back squatting, doing front squats and deadlifts, when you return to squatting it is stronger.
3) this might get a little complex, but drop the weekly program mentallity. Plan your program around 10 or 14 days.

No, you don't need to deadlift and you are not shortchanging yourself by not doing it. There are plenty of other lifts you can do to substitute. But, in my opinion, it is a good lift, and is worth including at least every other week.