Not Deadlifting or Squatting?

Hey guys, after my herniated disc I am sorely missing my powerful legs. Not only have I lost a lot of mass from doing no power work in about 7 months, but I really miss the huge power I used to have. I used to squat about 2.4x bodyweight for 15 reps pretty easily, and DL 2x bodyweight - so I wasn’t doing too badly before I got injured.

So with that being said, do any of you guys with ridiculous sprint/start times and good verticals not do squats and deadlifts? If so, what do you do? sled-drags? (There’s currently about 2-3’ of snow still where I am in New York, so I can’t do outdoor sled drags and our sports center certainly wouldn’t be too happy with me destroying their floors). So for those guys out there with some beastly athletic power in their legs - what do you do?

Thanks.

-DTC

I assume you have been told you can’t squat or deadlift. If you believe this, then doing belt squats is your best alternative. You can even do them with a bar! http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=48811&tid=102

you don’t need to do squats and deads to be fast and jump high… there’s a number of por sprinters/jumpers that didn’t lift weights. I don’t know the extent of your injury or how you’r recovery is coming along… but the best way to get faster is to run fast.

You could easily get alot faster just sprinting and doing plyos. (heck this might even be more effective in getting you faster than what you were doing beforem becuase i’m willing to bet that your program was lifting intenstive)…

how’d you herniate by theway?

Hip-belt squats using the hip belt that Ironmind sells would be a good option. Set yourself up so that you’re holding onto something as you squat to help with balance.

An even better option might be to do single-leg squats. I’m talking about the sort where you balance and squat on one foot, then hold your other leg out in front of you in the air. Stand on a box and do these. They will will your quads, hams, and glutes very hard.

Maybe hold very light dumbbells out in front as you squat (in addition to adding resistance, holding DBs seems to help with balance.) Use a weighted vest for progression if you can. I think you’d have a ton of leg strength if you could do these with an 80 pound vest and 20 pounds of DBs.

Whichever of the above you use, maybe assist with something like a GHR or natural GHR for the hams and more glute work? Supplement with sprints and plyos as stated by others.

Maybe on Monday you do some sprints and/or jumps then a few sets of the hip-belt squat for heavy weights for an ME lift and then a couple sets of a GHR.

On Thursday you’d do some more sprints and/or jumps, then sets of single-leg squats, and sets of GHR. That would probably be a solid program to build sprint speed and vert for ANYONE, let alone someone with an injury that prevented them from loading the spine.

What would be great I think would be:

1. Bulgarian Split Squats with dumbbells
  2. Reverse lunges with dumbbells

I don’t know how much loading you can have on your back, but high step-ups have great carry over to speed. The last thing you want is another injury so it may be best to avoid those. Good luck, injuries suck.

If it’s a back issue, I’d definitely recommend single leg squats and flying lunges as well.

There’s also nothing wrong with a few single leg leg presses.

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried the belt squats today and it worked out pretty nicely. Just even with 250lbs or whatever the machine max is, it still seemed incredibly easy.

So what I started to do was use add weights onto the belt, inbetween the pulley hook-on and my waist. That way I had resistance coming from about a 30degree angle in front of me, as well as gravity pulling the weights straight down to the ground - it worked out pretty nicely. I’ll try lunges and the bulgarian squats next time I go.

As far as GHR goes - I definitely am not recovered well enough to do those yet, but doing eccentric natural GHRs might be okay - so I’ll give those a try.

Again, thanks guys.

-DTC

hey bud, go to a good resistance band site such as www.jumpusa.com and get one and u tie it to a pole with a towel in ur house(mine is in my basement) and then put it around ur waist, then sprint. do plyos like weighted knee tucks, lunge jumps(argh!),ankle hops,etc. i use a 100lb resistance band(i am 16, squat 320) go here for article on it RossTraining.com - Band Sprints

[quote]metallica76660 wrote:
hey bud, go to a good resistance band site such as www.jumpusa.com and get one and u tie it to a pole with a towel in ur house(mine is in my basement) and then put it around ur waist, then sprint. do plyos like weighted knee tucks, lunge jumps(argh!),ankle hops,etc. i use a 100lb resistance band(i am 16, squat 320) go here for article on it RossTraining.com - Band Sprints
[/quote]

i wouldn’t go to those sites.
try charliefrancis.com

to the original poster, you can definitely get stronger without squats and deads. they are just two exercises! Some advice here on doing 1 legged exercises are great. Bodyweight 1 legged squats, natural GHR are all excellent if you cant afford to load the spine

lol, u obviously don’t know much if u don’t understand the highly effective methods at rosstraining.com. i have used band sprints myself and now i am the fastest one on my baseball team, i haven’t ran a 40 yard timed sprint, i guess from seeing other people run it that it would be about a 4.7 and i have only used band sprints for the last 2.3 months, along with plyometrics and max strength and conditioning sessions consistently since last october

lol, u obviously don’t know much if u don’t understand the highly effective methods at rosstraining.com. i have used band sprints myself and now i am the fastest one on my baseball team, i haven’t ran a 40 yard timed sprint, i guess from seeing other people run it that it would be about a 4.7 and i have only used band sprints for the last 2.3 months, along with plyometrics and max strength and conditioning sessions consistently since last october[/quote]

Did you know the guy you just accused of not knowing anything (digitalairair) has a standing vertical of 40", a broad jump of 10’6", and can squat over 2.5x bodyweight for reps?

You have a big mouth for a 16 year old, and would probably do better to listen and learn instead of insult.

You have two eyes, two ears, and one mouth. Use them in that order.

i don’t care what he can squat or jump, the information i posted was valid and worth reading

i don’t care what he can squat or jump, the information i posted was valid and worth reading[/quote]

Ok, I’ll get some bands from jumpusa and start doing band sprints too after you actually ran that explosive hand timed 4.7 40 and post a video of it. Until then, ill stick with Charlie Francis.

I tried going to the charlie francis site and there were 3 articles there.

Go to the forums. That’s where the information is at.

www.charliefrancis.com/community

there are more things in that website than just bands, i use those and i ihaven’t used them that long, but i have improved greatly.the only reason they are on that site is because ross enamait(the website manager)

has tested and used them and wouldn’t recommend them if he hadn’t benefitted from them, he mentions many more things to do to help with speed/explosive strength, and all around development such as max strength, anarobic and aerobic conditioning, explosive strength,etc. 25 dollars is very cheap for his informative books, all i am saying is give this website a try along with charliefrancis.com

one legged squats, and glute ham raises and other strength exercises are also in his books, they both have benefitted me, along with other exercises in his 2 books. it did take me about 2.5 months to get use to the balance and movement of the one-legged squat. and i can almost do an unassisted glute-ham raise(very little push-off with hands)both are great movements, i like the charliefrancis site, but rosstraining is also one u shouldn’t miss out on

It’s not that anyone is saying Ross’s info is bad, it’s just that Charlie Francis has a lot of information that is sprint specific.

If I wanted to get faster, I’d go to someone who specifically makes people faster for a living and does so at an olympic level.

ok i understand, but for future references u can’t go wrong with rosstraining.com, the man obviously practices what he preaches(he preaches from experience and from books he has read)if u don’t believe me watch these 3 of his training clips. many of these movements are very humbling and i have yet to see anybody else(though there probably are people who can do them, but not many) do a one-arm wheel rollout and some other things he does just goes to show what self dedication, consistency, and training hard, but smart, can do. The human body can achieve much more than what most people realize/think.here are the vids

oh yeah and the dumbell he uses in the first vid for bench and snatch weights 125lbs, not bad eh?