T Nation

Not Counting Veggie Carbs?

Hi all,

As a FFB who is hugely carb-consious, I received some conflicting advice, even on this site with regards carb counting as part of a healthy weightlifting / fat loss diet.

I have been told that due to their minimal effect on blood sugar levels, I should NOT count crabs from veg which becomes, esssentially, a free food.

I just wondered if this is true and if so, what OTHER carb sources you shouldn’t include in your daily food log.

Fingers crossed that a fresh cream cake I’m craving is good for me too!

Thanks in advance.

[quote]1-packlondoner wrote:
Hi all,

As a FFB who is hugely carb-consious, I received some conflicting advice, even on this site with regards carb counting as part of a healthy weightlifting / fat loss diet.

I have been told that due to their minimal effect on blood sugar levels, I should NOT count crabs from veg which becomes, esssentially, a free food.

I just wondered if this is true and if so, what OTHER carb sources you shouldn’t include in your daily food log.

Fingers crossed that a fresh cream cake I’m craving is good for me too!

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

well depends on your diet and how you react to carbs etc and the veggie itself. Like corn and potatoes are veggies but hell shit poit of carbs.Now Broccili, caulie, lettuce, green beans etc. Youll have to eat a metric ton for them to not only make a carb difference but really a k/cal impact as well.

Such veggies IMO are free game the more the better.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Such veggies IMO are free game the more the better.
[/quote]

Agreed. If you take a look at different veggies using this nutrition label finder:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

You will see that celery has over 1/2 of its carbs in the form of fiber, yet you need to eat A LOT of veggies (like Phil said) for it to make a difference in your calorie intake.

[quote]1-packlondoner wrote:

well depends on your diet and how you react to carbs etc and the veggie itself. Like corn and potatoes are veggies but hell shit poit of carbs.Now Broccili, caulie, lettuce, green beans etc. Youll have to eat a metric ton for them to not only make a carb difference but really a k/cal impact as well.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t consider corn and potatoes to be vegetables. Corn is a grain and potatoes are tubers. Yeah, it might be a nitpicky semantic issue. I tend to group all vegetables into the low-calorie, fibrous, high-micronutrient group. Stuff like corn, potatoes, yams, etc., I consider “starches”.

Personally, I don’t count them (especially green veggies). Maybe only corn, potatoes are starchy carbs. Reasons NOT to count them for me:

  • they don’t spike insulin
  • they contain a lot of fiber
  • they contain a lot of minerals etc.
  • they are very low in calories
  • while cutting, they fill you up
  • They’re overall good for you, and by not counting them I kind of consider it as a free food, which is a good thing because it stimulates me to eat more of them.

Well it seems a common consensus here. Thanks for opinions everyone.

I like that way of dividing veggies into ‘green and free’ and ‘starches or pulses and count-me’.

Good stuff. And simple too - like me.