T Nation

Not Beginner But Beginner Question

I know everyone says that eating and getting your protein and carbs after your workout for your postworkout is crucial…I know your body builds muscle while you sleep so what if you didnt take your post workout meal? Im aware that it replenishes glycogen but why is it so important since the body not being built till you sleep? Is it stored for later use?

You’re body does not only repair itself while you sleep, it’s doing it all the time.

Drinking a shake pwo is not as important as you think. Just try to eat within an hour or two and you will be fine.

Getting enough protein/food throughout the day is much more important than making sure you eat right after training.

[quote]motherofpearl2 wrote:
I know everyone says that eating and getting your protein and carbs after your workout for your postworkout is crucial…I know your body builds muscle while you sleep so what if you didnt take your post workout meal? Im aware that it replenishes glycogen but why is it so important since the body not being built till you sleep? Is it stored for later use? [/quote]
I’m not really sure what the question is.

Like Other Chris said, your body doesn’t “only” build muscle while you sleep. That’s absurd.

Workout nutrition (before, during, and after training) is important because it’s a time when your body can “use” the right nutrition most effectively, but the rest of your daily meals are obviously important too.

Some people can get away with not having a specific workout shake after training and just eating regular meals throughout the day, but one of the easiest ways to improve recovery and results from lifting is to give your body fast-digesting protein and carbs right around your workout session.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
You’re body does not only repair itself while you sleep, it’s doing it all the time.

Drinking a shake pwo is not as important as you think. Just try to eat within an hour or two and you will be fine.

Getting enough protein/food throughout the day is much more important than making sure you eat right after training.[/quote]

Always heard post workout meal was real important since I always thought the body was not really “building” while its awake so the whole concept of post workout did not make sense to me

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]motherofpearl2 wrote:
I know everyone says that eating and getting your protein and carbs after your workout for your postworkout is crucial…I know your body builds muscle while you sleep so what if you didnt take your post workout meal? Im aware that it replenishes glycogen but why is it so important since the body not being built till you sleep? Is it stored for later use? [/quote]
I’m not really sure what the question is.

Like Other Chris said, your body doesn’t “only” build muscle while you sleep. That’s absurd.

Workout nutrition (before, during, and after training) is important because it’s a time when your body can “use” the right nutrition most effectively, but the rest of your daily meals are obviously important too.

Some people can get away with not having a specific workout shake after training and just eating regular meals throughout the day, but one of the easiest ways to improve recovery and results from lifting is to give your body fast-digesting protein and carbs right around your workout session.[/quote]

well chris how important do you think it is? I do not have the money for protein or anything but I eat solid meal my mom makes. THe reason I asked this question is because i had to run home from the gym 1 and a half away after a workout( my sister fell asleep n my phone died) I was hungry before the gym…Didnt get home 4-5 hours after being hungry. Not only didnt i eat post workout but i ran and burned TOO many calories which makes me wonder if the leg workout was even effective.

not that important, sure fancy supplements and protocols can help but you need to have everything else dialed in first. 3 Lbs Dead animals+enough calories+intense weight training=progress 100% of the time regardless of the time you do it.