Not Bad for an Old Guy

In the grand scheme of things, I guess 37 isn’t really that old. Most of the cops I supervise, however are in the 20-30 age range. I’m proud to say, or maybe a little embarassed for them, I’m in better shape than most of them. Keep in mind that most of the criminals we are chasing around are in the 15-30 age range, and that never changes. Any older than that, they are either dead or in prison.

I’m glad to hear that alot of other “older” guys are keeping up with the youngsters as well. Keep it up!

I’m in Arizona as well Chris Adams… jesus the cops are pathetic out here… fat, lazy, stupid… I drive by a certain Whataburger and Arbys atleast 2x daily and I see cops at both restaurants ALL day.

[quote]dcfball wrote:
I’m in Arizona as well Chris Adams… jesus the cops are pathetic out here… fat, lazy, stupid… I drive by a certain Whataburger and Arbys atleast 2x daily and I see cops at both restaurants ALL day. [/quote]

Yeah. The biggest problem with being in shape and being a cop is the hours. Finding a healthy place to eat at 2:00AM isn’t easy. I’ll usually pack some protein bars, almonds and some fruit to bring with me so I don’t have to resort to one of these places. If you are not careful, you can really pack on the pounds (the bad ones) in a hurry.

I here you on the food thing i work alot of twelve hour shifts overnight during power plant shut downs try gettin a wide mouth thermos great for chili made with lean beef and anything else you can get in it

Way to run that punk down, my man. Did you beat his ass after you nabbed him? Just kidding. Hey, I’m 38 and am training much harder in the gym and at the track than I did when I was in my 20s.

The reality is that I like seeing how hard I can push myself now that I’m nearing…errrr…40. Also, I KNOW I have to work even harder now if I want to hold onto what I have. I don’t plan on slowing down anytime soon.

Good job! I was just talking to my husband about this the other night as we were watching “Cops”. Must be tough to run wearing a vest and all that gear.

Had a similar experience myself recently. I went out to my local high school to run the bleachers at their new track. After I ran them three times nonstop, I did a couple laps on the track to cool down. While I was getting ready to leave I watched a couple of 18 year olds that had been on the track with me go up and start to run the bleachers. I guess they though if some old broad could do it, they could do it. They made it about half way across and stopped. I chuckled to myself and left. I am currently in my 50th year of life and hope to just keep getting better every year. Just try to stop me.

The good news is that today, much of the equipment is lighter. My first weapon was a 357 mag. Now the Glock is mostly plastic. My first walkie talkie was like a cement block. Now I carry a radio that looks like a child’s toy. Vests have certainly come a long way also. Many departments have gone away from the shiny patent leather shoes to more user friendly boots. Still, after a twelve hour shift you can’t wait to drop it all at the door.

[quote]Sarge131 wrote:
I’m a police officer, and every once in a while on this job you get an impromptu fitness test. The other day, I was involved in a foot pursuit of a robbery suspect. Chases like this normally last 30 seconds or so because help arrives almost instantly. Unfortunately, this time, I was on my own. I chased this kid (20 years old/5’11"/160 lbs) down in a distance of over 3/10 of a mile and had plenty of gas left to wrestle him into a pair of handcuffs.

I’m 37, 5’10", 190 lbs., plus about 25 lbs of gear on my belt. You just can’t put a price on being in shape. I hope all of you “old guys” can appreciate this story.[/quote]

That is good that u can keep up with some one in there 20’s. Im 41 years young and Smoke jumper in Missoula Mt,. every year I have to do a P.T.test that is standard just to be able to jump out of air planes and fight forest fires in the western states.

This test involves 45 set ups,25 push ups,7 pull ups at a full hang that means not pulling back up till u hang all the way other wise it won’t count. Last but not least run a mile and a half in or under a 11 minutes.

This keeps me in tip top shape and I also am stronger now than when i was in my 20’s. I stand 5’8 weigh 175 lbs and work out on the bench with 225 lbs 3 to 4 sets of 5 reps and keep shooting for more. Keep up the good work out there and never say the word old, unless u feel old u will be.

Hey All:

Congrats on the bad guy. I’m with ya brother. 48 years young, Detective. Got my shot last week at a 19 year old. Although I don’t carry the equipment like the road troops, hoping fenses and running through others yards has a certain amount of pleasure.

Up against the wall and spread um.

Nice avaitar Karma!

Good work sarge thats another 10-15 for ya. I would think your assist would arrive faster since your their sarge and they know you could kick their butts.

Nice job sarge. We need more guys leading from the front like you. Can’t tell you how disgusted I am recently with some of the guys I work with. No excuse to be terrified of confrontation because you are weak, out of shape and havent trained a day in your life outside of the police academy and qualifications. We seriously need to get back to hiring more of the bolts-in-the-neck type cops.

Amen to that.

Very awsome for an old fart lol
Ill be 26 ont he first ughhh and have come to find what you said about you can not put a price on it.
Way to go Officer!