T Nation

Not as Good as You Once Were

Yesterday, I was doing some sprints in the park, when some kid came up to me for a pick up game. I’m 6’4, so I assumed he wanted to see how good he was by challenging a taller guy.(he was 5’11")
I was a very good player in high school,had a good jump shot,handles,and was able to dunk. Only problem, I hadn’t played
serious game or pick up in three years.

Nevertheless, I was going to take this guy to school. The complete opposite ended up happening. He pretty much schooled me, 20-11 was the final score. I had lost my jump shot,and about three steps, I couldn’t even touch the rim anymore. It was kind of bumming knowing that I was able to beat everyone,one on one, but just three years later, now getting schooled by a 15 year old.

has anyone ever had an experience where your reminded or shocked to find out that, Your not as good as you once were? Could be on anything.

I used to be insanely good at video games. I bet there are a ton of 15 year olds that can beat me now.

Every time I sit down at a drum set I’m reminded about how I used to be pretty good. I played for about 10 years seriously, but just kind of got out of it. I bought a practice pad kit recently and could hardly even play the thing. I’m terrible now.

I used to be pretty good at hockey, but now I’m even better.

I use to be awesome at some different games…now I suck lolz

Three years? You weren’t as good as you think you were.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Three years? You weren’t as good as you think you were.[/quote]

I didn’t want to get to specific with the original post but, I’ve gained alot of weight and have had two surgeries, on my wrist and leg. I hadn’t really played since high school. This was the fist time I played competitively. Its amazing how things change.

It’s funny you brought this topic up.

I’m 37, and I start flag football in a few weeks with a bunch of athletic 20-something dudes. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about getting burned.

So I’ve been sprinting my ass off the last 8 weeks. I’ve pretty much dropped my leg workouts/squats/deadlifts, in favor of running 20 hill sprints 3x a week.

My leg strength has certainly gone down, but my legs feel “springy,” more athletic, faster. Hopefully I’m not imagining things.

All that, in order to not get burned in flag football. :slight_smile:

[quote]nomorewar wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Three years? You weren’t as good as you think you were.

I didn’t want to get to specific with the original post but, I’ve gained alot of weight and have had two surgeries, on my wrist and leg. I hadn’t really played since high school. This was the fist time I played competitively. Its amazing how things change.[/quote]

That explains more. I couldn’t figure how you could lose it in 3 years. At 41 I finally recognize I cannot go as hard as I did when I was younger but my mid 30’s were my athletic prime. I wasn’t quite as fast but 40 extra good pounds and lots of experience more than made up for it.

Surgeries suck, but hopefully you can work your way through them and get back to where you want to be.

Don’t ever quit being an athlete!

I ain’t as good as I once was
But I’m as good once as I ever was

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Three years? You weren’t as good as you think you were.[/quote]

Three years is a long time to be out - especially if you haven’t played at all. Hell, I would fall behind my friends because I never played during the summer It’s funny how easily you can lose your quickness (especially on defense).

Good thing is, you get your steps back pretty damn quickly just by playing more. Your jump shot will start clicking with practice - provided you actually were a good shooter before.

I couldn’t dunk, so I can’t speak for that.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I used to be insanely good at video games. I bet there are a ton of 15 year olds that can beat me now. [/quote]

I was once the shit at Halo. I was probably in better swimming shape and cardiovascular conditioning this winter than I ever was in my life, so I’ve lost that. Otherwise, I’m 19 and I’m at my best that I’ve ever been for anything I can think of right now.

I used to eat fist like nothing back in my early Highschool Days. Now…I lost the eye of the Tiger.

I used to be insanely good at video games. I bet there are a ton of 15 year olds that can beat me now. [/quote]

Now it’s all the 7-8 year olds that own everyone’s ass online. If you don’t believe me, just go and play sometime. Even 5 year olds are getting beastly at video games.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I used to be insanely good at video games. I bet there are a ton of 15 year olds that can beat me now.

Now it’s all the 7-8 year olds that own everyone’s ass online. If you don’t believe me, just go and play sometime. Even 5 year olds are getting beastly at video games.[/quote]

That’s because they don’t have anything else to do. One of the few areas where that old stereotype applies in my opinion.

Is it that you got worse, or because he was always better? There is always someone better.

[quote]nomorewar wrote:

I couldn’t even touch the rim anymore.

[/quote]

I had this experience recently, my apartment complex has a run down court and I thought I’d try it out for the first time a month ago, so I’m out there looking at the rim, thinking fuck this looks high, (I used to be able to dunk in HS), so I try a standing jump to try to grab it, no luck… couple step jump, no luck… running start, and I’m still a mile from it.

I felt like shit…till I went inside, got my tape, and measured it…fucking thing is 10’9" high…

I used to run an 18:00 minute 3 mile when I was in the Marine Corps, but could barely eek out 5 chins. I was 5’ 11’ and 145 lbs.

Now, twenty-four years later, I can’t run a solid 3 miles, but have no trouble pulling twice as many pull ups. I’m one inch shorter, 50 pounds heavier and whole lot wiser.

Not worse, just different.

I used to be a pretty good baseball player, now I haven’t even swung a bat in years…I think I’d be struck out by just about anyone right now. :frowning:

I used to be insanely good at video games. I bet there are a ton of 9 year olds that can beat me now. [/quote]

fixed it for you bro.

Whatever, my video game skills are still fire!