T Nation

Not a Beginner, But Trying Something New

I have lifted on and off for 4 years now. When I started I weighed around 190? Couldn't bench press for shit.. i remember that much haha. I'm 18 now weighing in at 152.

But, the point of this post is that I'm trying out a new workout. I have done isolation workouts for the longest time, and my gym teacher (claims he was Mr. NJ's trainer way back) wrote me up a little workout that i requested. I believe I'm about 3 weeks into it, and i wanted to get a little feedback on how it looks.

Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed On
Thurs/Fri Rest

Weight = 60% of Max

x2 8-12 Bench Press
x2 8-12 Incline Bench press
x2 8-12 Bent over row

x2 8-12 T-bar row
x2 8-12 Lawn mower pulls
x2 8-12 Bicep Curls

x2 8-12 Squats
x2 8-12 Lunges
x2 8-12 Standing Calf raises

Leg lifts

Im guessing my results would be strength, and some fat loss. Little bit of mass, but nothing too significant.

If i can provide anymore information for any viewers just say. Thanks.

What are your goals? Strength or Mass? Do you have proper form with the exercises? Why 5 on 2 off? How does it feel to you?

I don't think you'll get a lot of strength

So wait, are those 3 different workouts that you rotate, or all in one workout that you do every day?

No offense, but it looks retarded. Like what I would give a newbie girl who's afraid of lifting weights to break her in if it's supposed to be 3 separate workouts. except I wouldn't give her this workout plan.

If it's 3 separate workouts, the session volume is retardedly low. That wouldn't sufficiently train my blind grandma. If it's 1 workout that you're suppose to do everyday, then I can't really describe how ridiculously stupid (on multiple levels) it is to try that. I have a bruise on my forehead from where I smacked myself after reading it.

If you want something for mass and strength try HSS-100. If you want something for mass and strength try Westside's basic 4 day template. If you want something for mass and strength try WS4SB 2 or 3 by deFranco.

The ONLY thing it has going for it is that it's mostly compound movements, which is smart. The only smart thing about it really.

Your gym teacher is full of shit. Period.

If you have the time and dedication to lift five days a week, go with a bodypart split. For each day, start with a heavy compound movement, then move toward isolation work, then do a closed-chain move as a finisher if you wish. Example for chest day:

Bench press 5x5
Incline DB Press 3x5
Flyes 3x8
Pushups 3x20

Focus on that first movement. As long as that poundage is increasing, you're doing all right. There are six main moves that you should be doing:

Bench (chest)
Squat (legs)
Deadlift (back or legs)
Bent row (back)
Pullup (back)
Military press (shoulders)

All the other exercises are up to you, but start with these.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but it sounds like you want to get stronger. If that's the case, I'd definitely lift heavier than 60% max. I'd also hit each "body part" more than once a week.

I'd buy one of Chad Waterbury's books or Cressey's Maximum strength. You can get them for less than $20 and they tell you abount everything you need to know. It'll be the best money you ever spent.