T Nation

Norwegian Elkhounds

My wife and I are looking at getting a dog and this breed seems to fit our lifestyle. I like the look but have heard they constantly bark this seems like a bad idea.

Also the alaskan klee kai(mini huskie) seems appealing does anyone know any breeders in the northwest OR/WA/ID? How hard are Akitas to deal with, an aquaintance of mine had good luck with his but I have read on line that they are very moody, hating strangers and other animals which sucks because that is our favorite.

How about a beagle? They are really really good pets. I take care of about 15 beagles right now and they are the nicest, calmest breed I have seen.

If barking is the only problem, it can be discouraged by training with a bark collar. Akitas (and Asian dogs in general) tend to be very aggressive with strong prey drives, so if you have kids or other pets they might not be a good idea. Last, northern breeds have a very strong digging instinct, so if you like your lawn keep this in mind. They also like to dig under fences and escape – the major reason I didn’t get a Malamute.

I have an akita/boxer mix. I’ve heard him bark maybe four or five times in the past two months. And when he does, it’s only once, he doesn’t bark repeatedly. He’s definitely on the aggressive side of playful, he loves to chase and tackle other dogs, and has a thing for making them submit. Doesnt’ try to hurt any of them, but he’s on the rough side. When I am playing with him, he will grab my hand or arm once in a while, but not enough to hurt or puncture. yelling at him when he does it has been working well. He seems to like everyone, though little kids seem to make him a bit nervous.

I grew up with norwigien elkhounds great dogs very loyal and protective of the family. Great with kids mine were like nana off peter pan always watching out for me. I prefer female dogs to male
dogs the males are a little yappy. They are known as the viking dogs the do well in smaller yards and have been known to take down elk.

i’m watching a friend’s akita for the weekend and have to concur that she’s defintiely been a bit “aggressive” towards our two dogs. she seems to have dominance issues, but that could be from how she may have been trained/rasied.

either way, and i mean this in the most literal sense of the word, our dogs are sure to breathe a sigh of relief when that bitch is gone.

[quote]xalfred wrote:
My wife and I are looking at getting a dog and this breed seems to fit our lifestyle. I like the look but have heard they constantly bark this seems like a bad idea.
[/quote]

Friends of ours have Norweigan Elkhounds. GORGEOUS animals. Just beautiful. And those dogs never barked unless there was someone approaching the home. Definitely not constantly! They were well trained animals with superb owners.

This link may help: http://www.neaa.net/do_you_really_want_to_own.shtml

I would avoid Akita’s…definitely aggressive compared to most breeds.

Please consider a rescue dog or animal shelter puppy…

Good luck!

Elkhounds are outstanding dogs. THey are really intelligent, loyal and really courageous. They are way ‘safer’ than an Akita(which I also love) in terms of training and around kids, etc. The main drawback of an Elkhound is a serious amount of shedding. Hair everywhere. Otherwise, awesome.

People, stop being silly. Get a Siberian Husky.

[quote]Murphy the seal wrote:
People, stop being silly. Get a Siberian Husky.[/quote]

Agreed, I have one and I lover her to death. One brown eye one blue eye. She’ll be 4 this October.

She doesn’t bark much at all, she kind of talks (sort of a “woo woo woo” thing she does when she’s happy or upset).

She’s not aggressive but freaking loves to play and chase and run, damn that dog can run. And believe it or not she loves to swim too, always in the water just paddling around for no other reason than to be out there paddling. It’s hilarious… When it’s time to chill out she’s all about it, just hanging on the back porch or in the yard with me when I BBQ or whatever. But when it’s time to play she’s 100% fun, Huskies know how to have a good time for sure. Ok, enough about her, I could go on for days about my pride and joy…

As far as Elkhounds go, I’ve been around a couple and they are fantastic animals as well, but they are plenty vocal and have a protective streak towards things they deem theirs. Otherwise they are pretty cool.

Now, as for Akitas, I think they look awesome. I’ve always admired their musculature, posture, range in colors, as well as their coats. However, aesthetics is where my admiration begins and ends. They are aggressive and very protective. They make a good guard dog sure, but in order to get one your family unit should already be intact, meaning that you should already have all the kids that you plan on having as well as friends and family who come over to the house.

As a puppy an Akita will be more apt to approve and accept guests, neighbors, children, and the like than an adult. Some friends of mine had one, a female, who wouldn’t allow friends of the children into the house. They are that protective. It’s not their fault, it’s just what they were bread to do… It’s so vital to pick a breed that matches who you are, your lifestyle, your family, and the specific needs that you want a dog to fulfill.

GAINER

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1124122029315.seiko.jpeg

My boy, now in doggy-heaven.

My boy, now in doggy-heaven.[/quote]

So elegant.

I love huskies.

My boy, now in doggy-heaven.[/quote]

Simply a beautiful dog, Murphy. I am super-partial to huskies after having gone to UConn. The school’s mascot is an all-white husky (although I wonder if that actually exists or if it is just a samoyed) with blue eyes.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Murphy the seal wrote:

Simply a beautiful dog, Murphy. I am super-partial to huskies after having gone to UConn. The school’s mascot is an all-white husky (although I wonder if that actually exists or if it is just a samoyed) with blue eyes.[/quote]

Naw Kuz, they’re out there… Takes a little research but all-white ones are available…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Murphy the seal wrote:

Simply a beautiful dog, Murphy. I am super-partial to huskies after having gone to UConn. The school’s mascot is an all-white husky (although I wonder if that actually exists or if it is just a samoyed) with blue eyes.[/quote]

GO HUSKIES! My son had a little t-shirt & shorts outfit w/ UConn Huskies across the chest. It’s size 6-9 mos. lol! I plan to dress the new baby in it, too. :smiley:

Norwegian Elkhounds are great dogs. great choice. I had one when I was younger.

Me Solomon Grundy

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
Murphy the seal wrote:
People, stop being silly. Get a Siberian Husky.

Agreed, I have one and I lover her to death. One brown eye one blue eye. She’ll be 4 this October.

She doesn’t bark much at all, she kind of talks (sort of a “woo woo woo” thing she does when she’s happy or upset).

She’s not aggressive but freaking loves to play and chase and run, damn that dog can run. And believe it or not she loves to swim too, always in the water just paddling around for no other reason than to be out there paddling. It’s hilarious… When it’s time to chill out she’s all about it, just hanging on the back porch or in the yard with me when I BBQ or whatever. But when it’s time to play she’s 100% fun, Huskies know how to have a good time for sure. Ok, enough about her, I could go on for days about my pride and joy…

As far as Elkhounds go, I’ve been around a couple and they are fantastic animals as well, but they are plenty vocal and have a protective streak towards things they deem theirs. Otherwise they are pretty cool.

Now, as for Akitas, I think they look awesome. I’ve always admired their musculature, posture, range in colors, as well as their coats. However, aesthetics is where my admiration begins and ends. They are aggressive and very protective. They make a good guard dog sure, but in order to get one your family unit should already be intact, meaning that you should already have all the kids that you plan on having as well as friends and family who come over to the house.

As a puppy an Akita will be more apt to approve and accept guests, neighbors, children, and the like than an adult. Some friends of mine had one, a female, who wouldn’t allow friends of the children into the house. They are that protective. It’s not their fault, it’s just what they were bread to do… It’s so vital to pick a breed that matches who you are, your lifestyle, your family, and the specific needs that you want a dog to fulfill.

GAINER

[/quote]

Lets see some photos!!!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1124189343899.P1010130_(Small).JPG

My REX…

R.I.P.

I’ve posted this before a long time ago, but I’m proud of our “son”, so here it is again.