T Nation

Northern Lights Moving South

I found this pretty interesting: http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/northern_lights_viewing_condit/33834457

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night with my kids. A fire, blankets, and a light show.

One of the things I really want to see.

You see it sometimes where I come from. Only seen it a couple of times but it’s really cool.

It is kind of odd that the map shows poor viewing in Michigan. It is not all that rare to see them in Northern Michigan.

Do you have to be out of an urban area to see them? I’m in St. Paul, MN and I’m thinking the city lights will make it harder to see, correct?

My parents live 20mi out in a suburb I could go to, less lighting, but still some lighting?.actually I am just now remembering going out to see the northern lights one time, it wasn’t super vivid, but we still were able to see them.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
It is kind of odd that the map shows poor viewing in Michigan. It is not all that rare to see them in Northern Michigan.[/quote]

I’m not certain but I think this map is basing the viewing quality on the expected cloud cover tonight. I know that in my area it is expected to be clear tonight and Nebraska is in the good viewing band.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Do you have to be out of an urban area to see them? I’m in St. Paul, MN and I’m thinking the city lights will make it harder to see, correct?

My parents live 20mi out in a suburb I could go to, less lighting, but still some lighting?.actually I am just now remembering going out to see the northern lights one time, it wasn’t super vivid, but we still were able to see them.[/quote]

Not sure if you have to be outside the city to see them but I imagine that the further out you are the better the lights will look.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I’ll be taking a midnight walk up the hill to get above the trees. I really hope I can see them tonight, I’m in the green zone!

At my cottage we get a good view of them over the lake once in a while.