T Nation

Norman Borlaug. Greatest Man in History?

Norman Ernest Borlaug, American agronomist, humanitarian, Nobel laureate, has been called the father of the Green Revolution, and definitive T-Man.

Norman passed away September 12th in Dallas at the age of 95. Most people have never even heard his name, but he is credited with saving over a BILLION lives by the time he was 65.

He is one of only five people to have won the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply. He was also a recipient of the Padma Vibhushan, India's second-highest civilian honor.

Many people clam to want to solve world hunger and create world peace. Norman actually DID something about it. He feed nearly half the world by increasing food supplies to Mexico, Pakistan, India, Asia, and Africa. In 1986, he established the World Food Prize to recognize individuals who have improved the quality, quantity or availability of food around the globe.

I guess its safe to say he is an all around badass dude! So cheers to you Norman. The world will miss you a lot.

There is a lot more to this man. He has been a personal hero for me for about ten years. If you wanna check it out I got most of this info from wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug