T Nation

Normal T and High Estradiol (Natural)

I m a 23 year old Male from India. In a recent blood work, My Total Testosterone was 771 ng/dl (Range 249 - 836). Free Testosterone was 0.70 nmol/l (Range 0.198 - 0.619). Estradiol is 49.9 pg/ml (Range 8 - 42). Prolactin 17.7 ng/ml (Range 4 - 15.2). Normal LH and low normal FSH.

I have depression, very low drive, mild ED and no body hair. My nipples are too sensitive. I ve been to 3 Doctors, All of them told me that my endocrine system is absolutely normal. They told me that I have too much anxiety and that’s the reason why I have low sex drive and mild ED. But I don’t think I have anxiety.

(Note:
I ve never taken testosterone supplements.
I have vitamin b12 deficiency (180 ng/ml). I m taking hydroxycobalamin shots.
I also have insufficient Vitamin D hence taking vit D tablets.)

I feel that My Estradiol is too high and that its causing all these problems. Or It might be prolactin also. I m confused.

My Girlfriend recently broke up with me for obvious reasons. I m all depressed in life. My productivity at work is getting affected. Please help me.

I have few questions.

1. What might have caused high estrogen in my case?
  2. Does high estrogen cause these symptoms even with high normal testosterone?
  3. Can high estrogen be managed without taking Aromatase Inhibitors?
  4. Is my vit b12 deficiency causing low drive?
  5. What should I do?

Thank you.

B-12 deficiency can be from an absorption problem from low stomach acid which can be from taking heart burn medications. Or from not eating enough meat or eggs.

Are you a vegetarian?

Post all lab work with ranges.

Cholesterol low? Could be linked to Vit-D. You get sun exposure on your skin?

High E2 can from poor estrogen clearance by the liver. Some medications can do that. Also liver conditions/diseases.

Your LH/FSH must be decent.

High E2 might be leading to elevated SHBG.

Elevated prolactin: Watch this to see if getting higher. Concern is a prolactin secreting pituitary adinoma. Elevated prolactin and elevated E2 will both be contributing to breast tissue development. 0.5mg/week Dostinex/cabergoline will lower prolactin.

Anastrozole 0.5-1.0 mg/week will control E2. See stickies for detail. Your levels are too high to be managed by other methods and more cost effective than DIM.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections - general reference for you
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

Thanks for the reply @KSman

I m a non vegetarian. I eat non-veg every other day. I think there is a problem with the instrinsic factor which absorbs Vit B12.

My lab work -

1st June 2017

Urea(Urease- GLDH) 15.0 mg/dl (17-43)
Creatinine 1.15 mg/dl (0.9-1.3)
Cholesterol Total(CHO-POD) 157.0 mg/dl (<200 Desirable)
Triglycerides(Enzymatic) 92.0 mg/dl (<150 Normal)
HDL Cholesterol 44.0 mg/dl (<40 mg/dl Low(High Risk), >60 High(Low Risk))
LDL Cholesterol 110.0 mg/dl (<100 optimal, 100-129 Near Optimal)
VLDL 18.4 mg/dl (0-30 mg/dl)
Total Cholesterol/ HDL Ratio(Calculated) 3.6 (<3.5 Optimal)
Haemoglobin 17.9 gm% (13.5-18.0)
WBC Count 7000 cells/cum (4000-11000)
RBC 5.86 millions/cumm (4.5-6)
Platelet 0.3 million/cumm (0.15-0.45)
Traces of protien in Urine

7th June 2017

Total T3 1.17ng/ml (0.83-2.00)
Total T4 8.43 ug/dl (4.58-12.0)
Total TSH 2.24 uIU/ml (0.27-4.2)
Total Testosterone 904.8 ng/dl (249-836)
Prolaction 17.7 ng/ml (4-15.2 ng/ml)
Vitamin B12 180 pg/ml (174-878 pg/ml)
Vitamin D 25.2 ng/ml (>30 Sufficient)

3rd July 2017

Total Testosterone 771.3 ng/dl (249-836)
Free Testosterone 0.70 nmol/L (0.198-0.619)
Bioavaliable Testosterone 16.4 nmol/L (4.36-14.3)
Estradiol 49.9 pg/ml (7.63-42.6)
LH 5.5 mIU/ml (1.7-8.6)
FSH 1.7 mIU/ml (1.5-12.4)

Abdomen X Ray
Kidneys- Moderate Bilateral Hydrouteronephrosis is seen. Posterior Urethral valves obstruction (Everything else is normal)
Liver- Normal in size and echotexture. No focal lesion seen. Portal vein appears normal. No dilation of intra hepatic billiary duct.

2D Echo
Heart- IVS shows paradoxical motion (Everything else is normal)

In the span of 48 hours before the prolactin test, I had 3 orgasms. So prolactin might not be a problem.

I don’t get enough exposure to Sun.
I have a sedentary lifestyle. I don’t exercise.
I don’t smoke. Drink rarely.
I use Iodised Salt.
I ve not taken any medication other than vit b12 shots.

Height - 183 cm (6 ft)
Weight - 154 lbs(70 kg)
Waist- 34 inch

I don’t have Gynecomastia but my nipples are puffy and itchy. I have fat around my belly and butt. Low Muscular Development. I look like I m 18 even though I m 23. I cry a lot. (Are these because of high E2?).
I get strong morning wood every morning but I don’t feel horny.

The Endocrinologists in my country are useless. They’ve only treated Diabetes/Thyroid problems. They think my E2 levels are normal. Therefore I don’t think I ll get a prescription for AI. Ayurvedic Doctors might be willing to help. What should I do?

Can there be any other problems? Can there be a problem with Dopamine? What test to take for liver function? Is VIt b12 in any way related to E2? Can high E2 be caused by tumours? Should I be worried about my FSH levels being low?

I know for a fact that high E2 can cause anxiety, I experienced it when my E2 was at 52 pg/ml along with blood pressure and BPM spikes. High E2 and prolactin can cause ED and anxiety. High E2 prevents testosterone from binding to your receptors, read link below.

Estradiol: Why You Should Care

Hey @systemlord
Can you tell me more about how you felt when your E2 was 52 pg/ml. Did you have libido? Was your facial/body hair thining? Were you enjoying sexual activity?

Did u use an AI? What dosage? How are you feeling now?

When my E2 was 52 pg/ml I was at the beginning of treatment, 200mg shots every three weeks, then the same dosage every 14 days which was even worse. I was fatigued, anxiety, blood pressure spikes and felt a kind of high in the head and unable to think clearly. I’m not on an AI and am now on 75mg weekly and after three months on this protocol I started feeling sleepy again at night, muscles are getting stiffer, erections starting to improve slowly, but also feeling very warm especially today.

Every muscle in my body is sore as if I had been working out at the gym, which I haven’t. Earlier I was on my computer and I swore it was 130 degrees outside, but when I check temps it was only 76 degrees! My libido is insane as I think about women all day, waiting for erections to match my libido. I have more volume of hair on my head, chest and even have hair sticking out my armpits with my arms at my side!

Your high E2 could be why you feel as though you have low-T since E2 can render testosterone useless to your receptors. I’m not sure high E2 would need to be for that to happen, but is possible you are just sensitive to elevated E2. You need to find a doctor will to treat you E2.

@KSman waiting for your reply.

@KSman can you please help me.