Normal if CGBP Stats Higher Than OHP?

My cgbp is 55kg 9 reps
My ohp is 55kg 6 reps

They’re two different exercises, with two different leverages. I’m not sure why you’re wanting to clarify what “normal” is here. It also depends on where you grip for both exercises, like what you consider “close” for close grip bench.

For what it’s worth, I was always better at close grip bench then overhead press. Easily.

yes they are different. Tricep is smaller muscle part. So i thought ohp is supposed to be stronger than cgbp.

So its normal.

My CGBP is 305 but my OHP is about 185

I’m MUCH stronger on close grip than I am on OHP. I thought everybody was.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I’m MUCH stronger on close grip than I am on OHP. I thought everybody was.[/quote]

Same here. The pecs and shoulders assist you in cgbp - for most people, it will be a stronger lift than OHP.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I’m MUCH stronger on close grip than I am on OHP. I thought everybody was.[/quote]

Same here. The pecs and shoulders assist you in cgbp - for most people, it will be a stronger lift than OHP.
[/quote]

Also, the bench (not movement, but equipment lied upon,) is a major support factor.

What on earth would have lead you to believe this wasn’t normal? I have never met someone who could OHP more than they could CGBP. In fact, you’re actualy weird for not having a bigger gap between them.

[quote]csulli wrote:
What on earth would have lead you to believe this wasn’t normal? I have never met someone who could OHP more than they could CGBP. In fact, you’re actualy weird for not having a bigger gap between them.[/quote]

I know this has been said about 10 times by now, but I’ll add my voice to the chorus. My ratio is similar to one posted above; I can CGBP in the vicinity of 300, overhead press about 200.

weirdly, my close grip bench is almost the same as my bench. I reckon if I trained it with any regularity it’d actually overtake it.

Anyone else find this?

I used to do both once a week (each was first lift of workout so I was fresh) and could get about 12 reps on CGBP with my OHP max. Also have been doing OHP consistently for a longer period so if anything that has plateaued and I could get more on the bench.

I also thought CGBP to be more of a higher rep tricep assistance lift so I’m not sure why everyone knows their 1RM on it.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
weirdly, my close grip bench is almost the same as my bench. I reckon if I trained it with any regularity it’d actually overtake it.

Anyone else find this?[/quote]

Yes, and it has always been that way for me. Partially because I do a fair amount of my pressing close-grip, anyway, as I’ve found that to be more shoulder-friendly (YMMV, of course), but even at times where I did more “normal grip” benching, my close-grip was always probably 90-95% of my “regular” bench.

(You could argue that’s because I never really maximized my “regular” bench, and you’d have a point; I never pulled out all the stops for a bench 1RM using powerlifting technique that would have been most conducive to it)

I think it depends on your setup for a “regular” bench (i.e. do you bench in a PL style or more of a BB style), your natural build/leverage, how you train your bench (do you use CG regularly in your training?) and probably a few other things that people smarter than me can point out.