Nordic Blood: Climbing And Lifting / Lifting And Climbing

First things first: Beard looks rad!

Grip is quite wide, not necessarily a problem.
Your stance is very close and that I would consider a problem (smaller base, less stability).

Thank you. I forgot to mention it in my post but I know I donā€™t start the press off of my clavicles. Iā€™ve found my problem shoulder has fewer issues when I keep the ROM like this. Basically I aim for the Adamā€™s apple and go from there. To be perfectly frank, Iā€™ve found that it just gels better with the length of my forearms. I have long arms overall, and never been fantastic at pressing in any direction.

Will try a wider stance!

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say the ROM is problematic at all, unless we are talking about a press with leg drive but then you would alter the elbow position and donā€™t encounter the same problems.

Thatā€™s absolutely true.

How do you set up to stack your forearm under the bar for best force transfer? Iā€™ve seen some videos where people show themselves setting up the bar very low on their palm but then I canā€™t grasp the bar (thumbless or not)

2021-10-26

AM: Bouldering, no videos but did a few sends Iā€™m really happy with. Will try and repeat tomorrow!

PM: Continuing my pulley rehab. I have three weeks ahead of me of two grip types (open-hand/half-crimp) with a 2x/weekly frequency.

Hangboarding 20mm edge
4 sets of 7 seconds for three-finger open hand (-16, -12, -16, -16)
4 sets of 7 seconds for four-finger half crimp (2 sets of -24kg, 2 sets of -20kg)

Not sure how to load progress this. I was doing -18 for 30 seconds on the open-hand before and -12 was too aggressive.

Forearm stuff! Iā€™ve reduced the load and do some wrist curls every day now at a very low intensity and that feels a lot better.

2 Likes

2021-10-27

AM: Centurion Walk 30 minutes

PM:

A. Front Squat (ss: abs)
20 ab-wheel
5 @ 40

8 decline leg raises
5 @ 50

3 @ 60
2 @ 70
1 @ 80
1 @ 90
1 @ 95

3x3 @ 85

Note: I do ab-wheel with my legs pinned nowadays so I warm up my hamstring simultaneously. Makes it slightly easier on the abs though.

However, Iā€™ve gotten so good at activating my abs now that it was too fatiguing (today) to continue doing those sets during the ramping

B. SSB Squat
3x10 @ 80
1x9 @ 80

Iā€™ve moved 4 forward on this, I was aiming for 5 forward / 3 back. I also feel as if I want to add a bench on this one and focus more on sitting back. Iā€™ve been squatting very quad dominantly. But, hey, I missed a rep so back I go!

Did two more sets of ab-wheels here! (60 reps total during the entire training session)

C. Backwards sled-drag
1 sets of 45s-1m of work @ sled+60
3 sets of 45s-1m of work @ sled+80

**D. Cable Pull-through **
4 sets, these werenā€™t great

Conditioning (Deck of Doom - Faces 10 reps/Aces 11 reps)
25 minutes, 5 cards left

My brain was shot and I ended up doing burpees on two different color cards (initially ~10m) so I didnā€™t get the ā€œrestā€ that Iā€™d otherwise get from swings. Confident that the next time I do this Iā€™ll get the entire deck unless I get really unlucky with the shuffle.

4 Likes

2021-10-28

AM:

@dagill2 today I got it!

PM: will hangboard later. Forearm rehab.

2 Likes

2021-10-28 cont.

Did not do any hangboarding, fingers felt funky

2021-10-29

AM: Just Run Week 4 Day 2

Mp 4x8@45 (FINALLY!)

Barbell Seal Row 3@50,60,70, 3x5@60
Parallette Push-ups 10/set (60 total) with a weighted vest

after that I have no idea.

2021-10-30

Rest day :open_mouth: Hands felt funky and I skipped climbing.

But I did end up going to a festival and dancing for an hour or two.

2021-10-31

Ramped A. together with sumo deadlift (did a single at 140) and did one leg extended decline leg raises for 4 sets of 8.

A. High Handle Trap-bar Deadlift

2 @ 177 (PR!)

Back-off sets
3x4 @ 157

Drop-set
31 @ 132
15 @ 112
15@ 92
26@72

B1. Single-leg KB RDL
4x12 @ 16 kg

B2. Split Squat
4x?

C. Shrugs 4x6-8
D. Walking Lunges 100

2021-11-01

AM: Just Run Week 4 Day 3

MP
3 @ 50
3x5 @ 45

BB Seal Row, ramp to 3 @ 70, then 3x5 @ 60
Dips 5 sets of AMRAP

DB Row 3x7 (12s pause, 10s pause, ā€¦ 2s pause, no pause in the contracted position)
BTN Press 3x10

Reverse EZ-bar curls supersetted with long handle tricep pushdowns

3 Likes

2021-11-02

AM: Bouldering, felt good, solid

PM: Hangboarding

Hangboarding 20mm edge
4 sets of 7 seconds for three-finger open hand (-14 kg)
4 sets of 7 seconds for four-finger half crimp (-20kg)

2 Likes

2021-11-03 Squat Focus

AM: Centurion Walk 40 minutes

PM:

A. Front Squat (ss: abs 23, 16, 13 ab-wheel)
5 @ 40
5 @ 50
3 @ 60
3 @ 70
2 @ 85
2 @ 95 (PR!)
3x4 @ 85

B. SSB Squat to 16 inch box
4x10 @ 65

did some more ab-wheels here with legs pinned and doing essentially a nordic regression. Calves kept cramping. Canā€™t quite figure out why, maybe because Iā€™m pushing my calves so hard into the ā€œbarā€.

C. Backwards sled-drag
4 sets of 1m of work @ sled+85

D. Sled pushes
4 sets of 1m of work @ sled+35

Tried long full strides focusing on glute contraction but felt it mostly in my calves. Any tips?

Conditioning
1-2-3-ā€¦-10-9-ā€¦-2-1 push-up ladder. Forgot to time it. Parallettes.

3 Likes

Congrats on the PR, my man!

1 Like

Thank you! With the exception of the overhead press I feel like Iā€™ve been PRing for a month. Feels gratifying!

Like the way your training is looking!

1 Like

nice pr

1 Like

Cheers mon frĆØre!

1 Like

Good work.

Why the front squat?

My elbow wonā€™t suffer a back squat at the moment :slight_smile: So itā€™s front squats and SSBs.

1 Like

Probably better movement choices. Doesnā€™t mean I like them though.

I have an affinity for the back squat so I would be very happy to get back to it. Itā€™d be interesting to see if that lift thrives on this progression model that Iā€™ve fallen into as well as the other lifts.

That said, looking forward to that single of 100kg front squat.

1 Like

Always fun to hit new plate barriers. It can be hard work on lifts you train a lot, so itā€™s nice to break into something else for a while and remember what that feels like.

For sure. Next time you plateau I highly recommend trying out the progression model Iā€™ve been doing. I donā€™t think, from your training history, that I remember you doing anything quite like this.

Here are the keypoints:

• Ramp to a 1, 2 or 3RM.
    • Next session, add one rep.
    • Or, if you hit 3, increment weight and start anew at 1.
  • 3 back-off sets at ~90% of the weight you used that day.
    • 1RM: sets of 3
    • 2RM: sets of 4
    • 3RM: sets of 5

I start at about 40-50% and work up in suitable increments. At 40-50% Iā€™m doing something like 5 reps, and as I get closer to my RM goal I do the same number of reps as I have as my goal.

1 Like