T Nation

Nordic Blood: Climbing And Lifting / Lifting And Climbing

Yes it looks like the anterior scalene. Loving the beard!

Fun looking problems on that wall.

2021-10-13

AM: Centurion Walk 30 minutes

PM:
Ramp to 2RM at 90kg front squat (PR!)
Decline leg raises and ab-wheel alternating during ramping

4x10 @ 70 kg SSB

Leg extension 3 normal sets, one 6-8-10 drop set
Cable Tate Side Bend (ss: cable pull-through) 3 or 4 sets

An otherwise overactive day. Think I clocked 17k steps at the end of the day, work, errands, social, meetings.

2021-10-14

AM: Bouldering
PM: Hangboarding, -18 kg, 4 sets 30 second hangs, 2 minute rest. 3 finger drag
Wrist curls with finger roll, high reps, 3 sets.

4 Likes

That is some awesome bouldering man. Making me miss it.

1 Like

2021-10-15

AM: Just Run Week 3 Day 1

Finally back to running after waiting out my achilles for two weeks.

PM:

Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm-up

Overhead Press (ss: PNF stretch wide split)
8,8,8,7 @ 45

DB Savickas Press 3-4 sets (ss: PNF stretch pike)

Hammer Row (ss: delt machine) 3-4 sets

Prone Trap Raise 3x6 with 6 second contraction (ss: psoas cable thing)

I really feel like my training is missing something. It’s not exactly chasing any goals or well-aligned in enhancing attributes and abilities I care about. It is the way it is to work around nags and injuries and I’m progressing, sure, but I feel like I want to change some things to feel like the time I spent in the gym is more purposefully invested. Stretches were a nice addition along that dimension though!

3 Likes

2021-10-16

Lead for a few hours. Brought lunch to the climbing hall even. Had intentions on being there for an hour or two after lunch but I left after emptying out my thermos.

Cut the session short because at one time my finger went from being bent to being straight very forcefully. It’s hopefully fine. My A4 pulley was giving off some sensations I didn’t particularly enjoy after that happened while just closing my hand on a Theraband ball.

Tried to reason with myself that if I wake up tomorrow and I do indeed feel injured I’ll appreciate it if I packed up my gear and went home, causing no further damage, making recovery as short as possible. For once, I listened to myself.

With luck and good fortune it’s a nothing-event and has no impact on the upcoming training week.

No hangboarding even though it was supposed to be the final session of long duration hangs. I’ll postpone that until I know for sure that I came away from this unscatched

2 Likes

2021-10-17

Sumo deadlift, up to 1@130
Conventional deadlift, up to 3@140

High-handle Trap-bar Deadlift
3@142,
3@172 (PR!),
3x10@142

Romanian Deadlift, 3-4 sets of slow eccentrics. Not too heavy.

High-handle Trapbar Deadlift (again!). Drop-set
21@112
10@92
18@72, 12 breaths, 9 reps, 5 breaths, 4 reps

45 Deg Back Extension 3 sets

Lying leg-curl, 5 sets of 40 seconds work with 30s rest inbetween.

DB Shrugs super-setted DB curls

@T3hPwnisher high-rep trap bar stuff is the bees knees!

7 Likes

Absolutely dude! The best/worst part is, you keep digging and finding reps, haha.

1 Like

2021-10-18

AM: Just Run Week 3 Day 2

PM:
Military Press & Some BPAs and banded no-moneys
Ramp to 1RM at 55 kg
3x3@49

Abwheel 20,20 during ramp
Abwheel, another 20 during back-off sets

Ring Dips 4 sets AMRAP (ss: Barbell Seal Row w 4 second pause at the top)

Abs drop-set 3 sets
Cable crunch AMRAP
Machine crunch AMRAP
Swiss-ball crunch AMRAP

Mechanical drop-set delts 3x8-10 per exercise
Lateral Raise → Front Raise → Arnold Press

Tried some PNF stretches again but was too cold. Will find a better place for them in my training week.

Feels great to run again after a two-week hiatus from the achilles tendon sprain I got while doing hill sprints. If anyone reading routinely does hill sprints, did you have an acclimation period and how did that look?

4 Likes

Which ones and why?

Same as this session,

Reason: splits in the future

2021-10-19

AM: Bouldering
PM: Final session of the first four week block of a pulley rehab program from the book Climb Injury-free by Dr. Jared Vagy

4x30s, 2m rest, 20mm edge, three finger drag

Then 6 sets of isometric hangs (3 sets of 90 deg and 3 sets of 120 deg alternating) 45 seconds, final set to failure (back muscles)

Additional forearm stuff while hanging out on the couch

Here’s a apprehensive dyno thing from the morning

4 Likes

It’s been a while since I logged. Here’s a bunch of stuff mostly from memory.

2021-10-20

A. Front Squat
Ramp to a 3RM at 90
Back-off 5,4,4 @ 81. Tried getting back under the bar to get 5 on the final set but failed.

Starting to drop my elbows a bit low now. Might be coming up on a plateau or weakness. Probably need some tempo work. Will forge ahead and see what happens. If I need it I’ll do it during my back-off sets and keep the ramp.

B. SSB
4x10 @ 75

C. Leg-extension
3 normal sets, 1 set of 21s.

D. Leg curl
40-30-5 (40 seconds of work, 30 seconds of rest, 5 sets)

Tried some Tate side-bends for obliques but it affects my shoulder in a bad way so cutting that for now.

2 rounds of (9m 45s total)
10 KB Swings (24kg)
2 ring dips
15 swings
3 ring dips
25 swings
5 ring dips
50 swings

I think that’s all I did.

2021-10-21

Decent bouldering session in the AM. No hangboarding PM but forearm rehab stuff. Will upload videos soon.

2021-10-22

AM: Cardio (Just Run Week 3 Day 3)
Surprised by sleet. Need to find ice-spikes or something.

A1. Military Press
8, 7, 8, 6 @ 45. I missed the second set because I tried to be cute and shrug the weight at the top. I miss cleaning the bar, and want to get some trap work “for free” but my elbow isn’t ready for that yet.

A2. Decline Leg-raises (1 leg straight)
4 sets of 7 reps maybe?

B1. Parallette push-ups w 30lbs weight vest
5x8-10

B2. Cable Lat Row
15@21.25/h
12@23.75
10@26.25
AMRAP @ 21.25

C1. Cable Lateral Raise
3 sets

C2. Prone Y-raise
3 sets

D. Multi-press Complex

D1. Seated Muscle Snatch (seated to avoid using the lower body) or Barbell Cuban Press
D2. Behind the Neck Press, Snatch Grip (seated)
D3. Behind the Neck Press, Clean Grip (seated)
D4. Savickas Press (military press seated on the floor with extended legs and no back support)
D5. Bradford Press (standing)
D6. Push Press (standing)

5 reps for each exercise, 3 sets, 90s rest.
2 sets Oly-bar
1 set 10kg bar

2021-10-23

Lead climbing from 9-14. Plenty of routes <7a

No hangboarding, tried a bodyweight hang on a 20mm edge but couldn’t hold it. So will have to take weight off to continue my rehab protocol.

2021-10-24

A. High Handle Trap-bar Deadlift
5 @ 72, 92, 112 kg
3 @ 132, 152 kg
1 @ 172, 177 (PR!)

Back-off sets
3x3 @ 157

Drop-set
30 @ 132
12 @ 112
40 @ 72

Super-setted with abs:
Abwheel

Windshield wipers

B. Single-leg KB RDL
4x12 @ 16 kg

C. Ez-bar curl 1x100
D. Concentration curls 2xAMRAP

5 Likes

I was absolutely gutted for you missing that mate. Really thought you had it.

Vimeo? Balls. Thanks for highlighting that.

1 Like

Hopefully the profile change will roll out quickly!

5 Likes

All sorted.

Man, I miss bouldering.

Getting seriously strong again in here! Quality stuff mate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you my friend. Still can’t conventional but found plenty of exercises to progress on. Did some back-work today that I feel relayed to me that I have to have at least one back exercise with progressive overload. I might have been doing too much back-stuff.

1 Like

2021-10-25

AM: Just Run Week 4 Day 1

PM:
MP, failed 1RM at 55 (which I’ve done previously)
Did several sets of 2s at 50kg.

Dips AMRAP 5 sets
Seal BB Row tempo-work 5 sets

Triceps hell (Overhead Triceps Extension + Rope Triceps Pushdown) 5x10 per exercise

Lateral Raise → Front Raise → Arnold Press 3x8-10

Did some banded Y-raises which were the bees knees for my lower traps. Weaved that in as I was ramping up. Comparatively killer to the prone stuff I’ve been doing on a bench with DBs (the 6s pause at the concentric).

I’m not too concerned about missing a repeat performance here. To be honest, life has been very stressful on a personal level the last few weeks and that I’ve been able to progress at all has been delightful. Stalling a bit on the press feels okay. Had company in the gym, no music, a string of nights with too little sleep and nocturnal panic attacks — eventually I was bound to not PR each session ^^.

The press is the one lift I have right now I feel I need to invest more in on a technique/cueing basis. If anyone wants to chime in, feel free to. Here’s one of the sets of 2 which feel solid but moves slow, and how I failed at the 1RM.

I’m honestly unsure about every quality of this lift. My grip width, my bar path, etc. The only thing I trust that I’m doing right is squeezing my glutes.

Since I press twice weekly I’ve fallen into having one day be more intense and the other be higher volume (double progression on the other session). I’m considering making today a push press day or a log press day.

2 Likes