Nordic Blood: Climbing And Lifting / Lifting And Climbing

The stick with the rope and a weight attached?

To be clear, I’m not doing adhoc forearm work, I’m specifically trying to load a fucky tendon

I’m just said he himself didn’t label it the Centurion Walk. If he does do the AMA I’m letting him know.

1 Like

Good idea long-term, but for now I want to follow the progression outlined in the video. However I found the instructions unclear. He says to continue building up to a 5RM but that’s possible to do within set 4-5. My “literalness” does not like ambiguity

1 Like

Gotcha. I initially watched the video without sound, so didn’t realize there was a prescription involved.

And now that I’ve watched it with sound, I agree. He’s basically saying build to a 5RM with the parameters he lays out in the video? Ergo, your last two sets in his prescription should equate to your 5RM. That’s mighty bold to assume that everyone’s 5RM will be BW + X weight.

2021-09-30

Couch to 5K Day 2 Week 2

Kneesovertoesguy Zero Week 2 (maybe 3 actually?) Session 2

Hangboarding Session Week 2 Session 2 (out of 3)

Bouldering 90 minutes or so.

DB Supination/Pronation 3 sets

3 Likes

Really good to see you back logging with a solid plan mate.

I haven’t been contributing much because I’m not smart at these rehab things, but I’ve been following along.

1 Like

Glad to have you around. Been thinking about emailing you but it’d be a lot to write out so I keep postponing it.

Also, not much of a plan. Just been alternating lifting, climbing, and cardio. Some days I ended up with three square training sessions per day which feels a bit beyond be too be honest. I’ve been lucky to have it pan out for as long as it has.

Yesterday was meant to be deadlifts but I was too beat up, and didn’t do that session today either. Decided to sit down and plan out my week, which I’ve been apprehensive about doing as I’ve quite enjoyed just going willy-nilly but after I wrote out how the days would have progressed even if I had made it to the gym yesterday I realised that “system” would eventually result in too much activity bunched up at the same time. There are some changes I’ve wanted to do, so I’m hoping the “plan” that I’ll explore going forward will work just as well and hopefully even better.

2021-10-01

10K steps and wrist curls

2021-10-02

Couch to 5K Week 2 Day 3

Hangboarding Week 2 Session 3 -22kg, 4x30s, 2m rest hang three finger drag.

Forearm stuff (DB Supination/Pronation)

Kneesovertoesguy Zero Program. I genuinely don’t know what week I’m on. Let’s pretend it was the third session of week 3 and work from that.

Tomorrow is deadlifts and conditioning.

4 Likes

No pressure mate, I’m here to help, not to be another chore.

2021-10-03

Trap-bar deadlift (ss: decline leg raise)
5@80/10
5@100/10
3@120/10
3@140
3@130/10
3@150/10
3@170
3@180
3x5@160

RDL 6s eccentric (ss:ab-wheel)
4x6 @ 90

Finger roll
10@50
2@80+10@50
3x12@50

Fell really short of the intended workout there. Weakness identified!

Back extension 4 sets. One set at 20, the rest with 12.5 I think, Maybe 15. 8 or 12 reps. No idea. Short rest.

Leg curls 3 sets to failure. One 6-8-10 dropset, one set of 21s, one set of double contraction.

L-sit/pike leg raises 60 seconds of work.

Edit: also did a lot of banded no moneys

2 hours later, running in hills. Did 12 or so, wish I did 8 or 10, my calf is a bit upset. Might have to adjust for that during the week, we’ll see. Appetite is plenty stimulated tho!

3 Likes

2021-10-04

Military Press
10 BTN Press (bar)
5 @ 30
5 @ 35
3 @ 40
1 @ 45
8,8,7,6 @ 45

good! Recouped some reps there, yay

Seated DB Savickas Press
4 sets

Iso-lateral Row thingamajig (ss: lu raises)
4 sets, final was a 6-8-10

Biceps and triceps 4 sets

Calf still a bit buggy, walked plenty. Hoping it is not tendonitis and just a tweak

Plenty of external rotation work, alternating bands and dumbbells. Definitely have better endurance in my “healthy” shoulder.

2021-10-05

Early morning bouldering. Will hangboard PM.

Calf less tweaky but not fine yet. Hoping I can run on it Friday. I’ve found running helps with my mind so keen to get back to it. I’ll drop frequency a bit, down from 3x steady-state to 2x, keeping that 1x hill running.

Also, can’t continue with kneesovertoes while I wait this out in case it is tendonitis. Will bring that back into rotation asap. I’ve really grown to like training my muscles in the way that program is structured — targetting the muscle in a shortened position (usually higher reps) and a long position with a higher load and fewer reps. I’ve found it makes me “feel” stronger climbing in a way that weightlifting has not afforded me. I feel more confident in awkward positions. If my elbow was up to snuff I’d be really keen to explore training just with bodyweight for a while and get a break from the weight room.

Elbows (yeah, both) don’t seem to like it that I’ve “smeared” the exercises out on different days. So, I think I’ll have to revert to doing those exercises together on the same day. The finger rolls felt worthwhile so most likely on that day then.

4 Likes

2021-10-06

Front Squat
5@45
3@55
3@65
3@75
3@85 (ramp to 3RM)
3x5@77

SSB
4 sets of 10 @ 65kg

Leg extension 2 regular sets and one final 6-8-10 dropset

Hip thrust 1 set at 100kg, 2 sets at 80. Using a shorter ROM to maintain tension on the glutes throughout as per a Eugene Tao video.

Conditioning: 1, 2, … 10, 9, … 1 push-ups on parallettes.

During my warm-up sets I weaved in decline leg raises, and some different regressions of a dragon flag.
Decline 12,
Adv tuck 3 / Alternating straight legs 3 / Adv tuck 3
Adv tuck 5
Decline 9

And did the Diesel Crew shoulder warm-up before I even touched the bar to continue and hammer my upper back perpetually.

Was fretty yesterday so tried to do a handstand workout. In the past, years ago now, I injured my right Achilles so I’ve become very accustomed to falling back down on my left leg. Even though I consciously decided to omit fall training leaving an ordinary handstand I ended up landing on my left (current wonky calf). I feel the pain of that today haha.

Decided to not do any finger rolls today, I’m reverting to keeping the stress on the flexor tendon on fewer days as that was working better for me. The best thing I’ve ever done for my elbows was using the Theraband Flexbar daily however the torque it produces really doesn’t gel with my fingers. After a few days of using that tool my fingers start popping when lifting things like plates and stuff (and while using the tool). I like that I feel as if my mitts are recovering (the pulleys that is) so I don’t want to include that tool. Maybe I could use it fewer days, idk.

5 Likes

2021-10-08

Trying to train chest

Ring Dips 8, 6, 6, 4, 2
I reckon I was premature in re-including these. It is odd, doing daily push-ups was by far the thing that kept my shoulder the happiest. Might have to re-start that and ensure I routinely incorporate no moneys and external rotations

Incline DB Presses are a no go

Cable presses are a no go

DB Squeeze press is a go!

Superset hammer row & overhead triceps extension 4 sets
Superset lat pulldown & delt raise machine 3 or 4 sets

Tried to do some abs but they were fatigued still, did not manage to get near my expected number of reps.

I’m really intent on being able to include dips as I end up having to do that movement while mantling anyway. I’m fine with not benching, but dips I do want to do. Will continue working on my posture. Slipped a bit from daily thoraic extensions over a foam roller but I saw progress with that. Also, the DB Savickas Press has really helped my posture.

5 Likes

2021-10-09

AM: Ladderstyle climbing, 7-8s per hold, 45 degree overhang. Averaged 45s of work per arm
5 sets, maybe 6. Not sure.

Kept the elbows somewhere between 120 and 90 degrees. Some people in the climbing community swear that this is rehabilitory citing Keith Barr, Ebonie Rio, and Jill Cook. I’ve not checked the studies myself. Other ways of programming include hanging isometrically at these elbow angles for 30-45s.

PM: Hangboarding. I’ve now done, in total, 3 sessions at -24kg, 4 sessions at -22 kilos (forgot to remove the two 1kg plates), and 2 at -20 kilos. Feeling like I have the capacity to hang for longer or with less weight removed during my sessions now. I have one more week to go of these long duration hangs before reducing training frequency and increasing intensity.

2 Likes

I feel like doing abs 2-3x/wk is starting to pay off (flexed obv)

Also, can someone help me figure out if the muscle that is protruding here is the scalene? That strand of fibers right very often feels like the culprit in my shoulder woes.

For reference, it is not present at all on the other side,

Yes, I grew a beard.

4 Likes

A ginger beard no less. Like a true berserker.

2 Likes

2021-10-10

Meant to be deadlift day but I happened to find myself in a gym with a trap-bar, sure, but bumper plates so wide the heaviest it’d carry was 90 kilos added (120 kg total).

So,

A. Front Squat, worked up to a single at 90 kg (PR), 3x3 @ 80
B. Trap-bar deadlift, 26 @ 120 kg, and immediately after 30 @ 80 kg.
C. Back extensions, some weight, 3 or 4 sets.

Interleaved with the ramping on A was 15, 12, 11, 10, 7 decline leg raises and 3x8 ab-wheel roll-outs.

Edit: Did shrugs with the trap-bar too!

8 Likes

Awesome!

2021-10-11

AM: Bike 8km
Food

Then, work
Food

Then, errands, another 9km on bike

Lifting, so, not adequately fed. Decided to go off-script to not miss reps

Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm-up

Log Press ramp to 2RM at 55 kg. Tried a single on 60 and did not get it
then 2 reps of 45 EMOM for 10 minutes
21 reps with the log (30kg)

Some no-moneys during the ramp

High Incline DB Press 3 sets

Iso-lateral Rowing 40-50kg/hand 4 sets of 6-8

Mechanical drop set, lateral raise, front raise, arnold press 3x8-10.

Triceps Hell 100 reps total

Then prone Y raises 45 degree bench, 6 second pause at top, 4 second eccentric 3x6.

3 Likes

2021-10-12

AM: Bouldering

PM: Hangboarding
Final week of long duration hangs, -20kg (next session -18!), 4x30s
Eccentric wrist curl w finger roll 15,12,? @ handle+7.5+collars

Isometric hangs
90 deg 45 seconds
120 deg 45 seconds
90 deg 45 seconds
120 deg 45 seconds

Saw a sport physiotherapist today. Everything I’m doing for my elbow is on point. My problematic shoulder lacks some internal rotation

5 Likes

Videos from yesterday

4 Likes