Nordic Blood: Climbing And Lifting / Lifting And Climbing

What do you feel is the issue with a hybrid split?

We’re all dead. Progress says we are recovering, but honestly I think we’re just dogheaded enough to grind out another rep beating the log.

1 Like

Well, really all progress say is that you’re capable of doing more. Maybe because you’re stronger, maybe because you’re tougher, or maybe because you’re more accustomed to the program or you just happen to have a better day than last time.

This is a very intensive way of training, as you’re training your body three times a week, going hard and using big movements. Could very well be that the time is not right for this program, or it’s just plain too much for you. (I’m not going to defend a program just because it’s based on an idea I presented: that would be pretty biased)

Glad you gave it a shot, though. Do you feel that you got anything out of it or learned something?

2 Likes

Yeah, full-body workouts are underrated.

1 Like

This is overwhelmingly awesome! I bookmarked it.

Why do you like to suffer so much?

2 Likes

Glad you liked it! And if that still doesn’t ignite a spark, maybe go for some of @kingbeef323 s routines to do something possibles more distanced from your usual cup of tea: Do This Routine Instead of That Dumb One

That looks genuinely disgusting.

1 Like

It’s to drill the movement pattern,

1. Doing controlled submaximal eccentric work (slow eccentrics) improves motor learning and strengthens the body’s capacity to maintain optimal positions during your movements. This will make you more efficient, which means you’ll waste less energy in competition.

Good metric for programming “does this look disgusting? No? It needs more work”. And so the CrossFit WOD was born.

See also my projected final workout for MMS next year which includes, as highlights, a set of 50 back squats at 80kg and 10 x 10 arnold presses as well as heavy deadlifts and complexes.

1 Like

Pretty funny man, that’s similar to how I was planning on approaching training once I wrap up the program I’m doing now.

What was the hybrid split all about?

I don’t know. Exploration.

1 Like

2019-12-25

Trained alone today so trying out the new schema to work out any kinks, did,

A. Bench
6@75
6@75
7@72.5
7@72.5

B. Military press
14@30
10@35
10@35

Started with a push press, come back down to about throat level, and then back up

C. Dumbbell flat press
10@28
6@28
10@20

D1. Rope Tricep pushdown 3x10-12
D2. Pec-deck 3x10-12

And my immediate impression is that when doing the assistance work for three sets then the main lift can be done for five no sweat.

@danteism, how would you reason regarding when it is better to do 3x8-12 on the assistance lifts?

1. When the main is done for 6-8 reps,
  2. 4-6,
  3. 2-4?

Because I feel like I can argue both sides.

I’m thinking that, if you do it during the 6-8 zone then that becomes basically accumulation, and then for the 4-6 it’s an either/or-proposition, and that during the 2-4 zone it’d be ideal to use your main bench/press as one of the assistance lifts to keep training frequency of that motor pattern up (REA). Here’s what my logic guides me towards,

Thinking five sets on all main lifts in all zones now. Maybe 6 in zone 4 and zone 6

Zone 1: sets of 6-8, ACC, 3 sets on assistance 8-12
Zone 2: sets of 4-6, INT, 4 sets on assistance 6-8
Zone 3: sets of 6-8, ACC, 3 sets on assistance 8-12
Zone 4: sets of 2-4, INT, 4 sets on assistance 4-6/6-8 (use your main press/bench as assistance on the other session)
Zone 5: sets of 4-6,???
Zone 6: sets of 1-2, REA, (use your main press/bench as assistance on the other session)

Would you think differently?

1 Like

How’s your climbing going?

Rather than tying the assistance rep scheme to your main lift rep scheme I would think of two things:

1. What is the assistance exercise like in terms of it’s nature? (so, are we talking about a pause squat or a single leg leg extension?)

2. What are we trying to accomplish? (Which would also determine what you pick as your assistance lift in the first place)

Of course your main lift rep scheme will depend on these factors as well.

So, if you want to shift your focus towards hypertrophy, you’d probably want to work in the 5+ rep range, whereas if you were to focus on strength you’d probably want to stay in the 3-6 rep range. If you were trying to demonstrate strength you could even go under that for a couple of weeks.

With assistance exercise you are after four things most of the time:

• Building muscle or retaining it while peaking
  • Improving strength either in your main lift or overall
  • Improving work capacity
  • Hitting the stuff your main work doesn’t

Of course you most likely aren’t after all of these things at once, but the things you do want play a role in your programming. If you want to build or retain muscle you’ll need enough volume for you, probably best done in the 6-12 rep range. If you’re after work capacity the theme is to gradually do more or so the same amount in less time.

If you’re going with the ACC/INT(/REA) type of programming you’ll also need to keep in mind that fatigue masks fitness: during accumulation your performance may even go down a bit due to fatigue, and in intensification as the fatigue goes down a bit and you get more accustomed to heavy weights your performance goes up. In realization you’ll want to get rid of as much fatigue as you can without undertraining.

So, think of what I’m trying to do here, what tool do I pick and how much of it do I need instead of deciding that all of the assistance stuff will be done this way.

1 Like

I’ve been having fun with it, but it’s been pretty inconsistent. Going to need to get in the gym with some regularity the rest of the winter though because I’m planning a trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky.

1 Like

2019-12-26

Climbing, as always, just bad at logging it. Discovered that my pistol squat needs work so will have to find a way to weave that in if I want to (I do) conquer a certain boulder route

2019-12-27

Deadlift 5x6-8
8@130
8@130
8@120
8@120
8@120

Front Squat 4x4-6 (8s eccentric)
4x5@40

Not sure why I didn’t go for sixes, it was more a breathing thing than a muscular thing

Bent-over Row (parallel to floor) 3x10-12
3x12@50

Super strict

Haney Shrugs 3x8-10@75
Frenchies

I’ll alternate frenchies and weighted chin-ups for two months or so.

2019-12-28

Push Press 4x4-6
6@50
6@52.5
5@55
6@52.5

Close-grip Bench 3x10-12
3x12@50

High Incline DB press 4x6-8
4x8@20/h

EZ-bar Tricep extension 3x10-12
Seated hammer curl 3x8-10

2019-12-30

Front Squat 5x6-8
8@70
8@70
8@70
8@65
8@65

Deficit Deadlift 4x4-6
4x6@120

I did this tng, I don’t think I will next time as the goal is to strengthen my pull off of the floor. Might have to use less weight as a consequence

Split Squat 3x8-12
3x8@40

Farmer’s Walk 1@100~40m, 1@110~max distance

2 Likes

2020-01-01

Deadlift 5x6-8
8@130
8@130
8@125
8@125
8@125

Front Squat 4x4-6 (8s eccentric)
4x5@40

Bent-over Row (parallel to floor) 3x10-12
Forgot this exercise completely, did bent over KB rows at home in the PM instead. 3x15, 24kg KB

Haney Shrugs 3x8-10@90
Frenchies
2+1/3

3 Likes

moved into a different apartment

2020-01-03

Push Press 5x4-6
6@55
6@55
6@55
5@55
6@55

Cleaned from floor.

Close-grip Bench 3x10-12
12@50 (too easy)
12@60
12@60
11@50

High Incline DB press 4x6-8
4x8@20/h

EZ-bar Tricep extension 3x10-12
Seated hammer curl 3x8-10

1 Like

So, the calorie tracking app I use, chiefly as a tool to plan my week, has a really gnarly bug.

Let’s say you input 6 eggs as breakfast along with some other items. Then there is a feature of taking that and defining it as a “meal” for easier re-entry on another day.

The bug is that the total calories for the meal before and after that operation might not be the same. Before it calculates the total calories (and macros) correctly, but afterwards it does not. I just saw it report the total number of calories in three eggs go down to 4kcal total.

I’m. So. Close. To. Writing. My. Own. App.

I don’t really need a calorie-tracker as much as a decent meal planner. I want to basically be able to save an entire day and re-use it at some point. I want to be able to sketch out a daily meal plan without attaching it to a specific calendar date.

It’d be nice to aggregate some micronutrient data over the week too, but that’s just a nice-to-have.

Oh, and defining my own meals as in,

Meal 1
Meal 2

With optional labelling to discern between breakfast /snack(s)/lunch/dinner and workout nutrition and review the macro breakdowns for each.

Similarly, I miss having a workout planning app. All the ones I’ve tried are more geared towards adding exercises, reps and sets during a workout but I’d just like to state, tomorrow my goal is this many sets at this weight at this rep range and basically only have to interact with it further if I miss reps or use a lower weight. Exporting into Markdown for the log would be nice. Loading programs from T-nation articles would also be convenient.

And have the app keep track of your best weights for the main lifts regardless of what program you are running.