Nordic Blood: Climbing And Lifting / Lifting And Climbing

You got all kinds of little tweaks going on man. Glad to hear the infection has healed.

Dogs are the best.

If it is not a free program I recommend not logging the workouts just as a sign of respect. Of course it would be interesting to see what you’re doing if it’s fine with him

If you got time go ahead, at least I’m always interested in seeing meal planning and such

Indeed, I don’t even post it all because it would sound like “oh, woe is me". Just things that might get in the way of progress (and not all of that either).

This is my natural inclination.

I’ll see if I can swing it today or tomorrow.

1 Like

Do you not use straps for the snatch grip high pull? I do and find you can get away without hook gripping which should help with the sprain on the thumb

Just for the deadlifts. My high pull sucks enough for straps to be a useless accessory. The sprain is in the other direction, my thumb got bent backwards so to speak.

Ah no problem man, wish I could be of more help so.

1 Like

No worries hoss!

Monday, 8th of October 2018

Weight: 76.8 (+0.9kg, been carbing it up)

Did a quick zone 3 lower body workout today. Was in a rush so I didn’t check my MTWs and just went by feel. 60kg high pull, 35 muscle snatch, 110 snatch grip dl (no blocks this time). Felt great.

Foam rolling at the moment. Damn I’ve been neglecting my tissues.

1 Like

Tuesday, 9th of October 2018

Weight: 74.7 (-2.1kg, apparently my body felt as if 3k calories yesterday was inadequate?)

Since I took Sunday off I skipped my neural charge workout and did an upper body zone 2 workout today and it was pretty dope.

It rained a bit this morning, and then it froze over, so obviously I fell with my bike but I’m okay! Hoping nothing will stiffen up in the next few hours. One of the pedals got a bit bent but otherwise, everything seems dapper.

Climbing tonight

1 Like

This is exactly why cycling is absolutely traumatic in Nordic countries

Glad to hear you’re alright though!

1 Like

Trying to get a hold of winter tires but the ones for my bike were out of stock at the moment. Will want to get some as soon as possible obviously. I got lucky today, just a minor scrape.

Me too! Lunch box lid cracked but fortunately, all the glass held up.

2 Likes

Starting Monday, 1996 calories total. 212.5p/161.4c/53.2f

Probably start sipping the intra-workout before leaving for the gym.

Intra-workout: 486 calories (58p/52.2c/2f)
10g EAA
2 scoops whey
48g HBCD
20g maltodextrin (to round out the above, which is “expensive”)

Post-workout: 463 calories (53.1p/49.6c/3.2f)
2 scoops whey
50g rye oats (less fat than normal oats)
50g blueberries
75g pineapple

Lunch: 352 calories (40.8p/29.2c/10.4f)
4g omega-3
40g quinoa
200g chicken breast
Veggies

Dinner: 322 calories (28p/0c/22.4f)
140g salmon
Veggies

Pre bed snack: 383 calories (32.6p/30.4c/15.2f)
25g almonds
200g quark
30g quinoa

1 Like

That’s a huge intra-workout shake
It took me a while to figure out you were referring to cyclic dextrin there and not the flame retardant . At least I hope that’s what you meant.
Cyclic dextrin is supposedly the next best thing after holy water for intra-workout, but it’s so damn expensive.

Overall, that looks like a pretty solid plan to me. It’ll be interesting to see how you’ll react to a lower amount of fat and higher carbs. Are you going to keep training the way it is now?

See it more as a pre+intra shake in one, then it isn’t as big :slight_smile:

I feel as if there is a joke here about keeping the burn at bay. But yes, highly branched cyclic dextrin. And yes, it is stupid expensive. After my malto runs out I’ll be trying some waxy maize https://forums.t-nation.com/t/pre-and-intra-workout-carbs-for-natural-lifters

Sadly, no. I love Look Like a… Perform Like a… and will definitely revisit it later but the Bootcamp has its own workouts planned. It will be nice to try something new though as what I do now is just two workouts with different loads and that can easily become monotonous.

Haven’t talked to CT about sharing the workouts on the log yet so I won’t say anything about them at all.

1 Like

Once upon a time people used to mix waxy maize and dextrose together as they compliment each other as waxy maize has great osmolality but a low glycemic impact whereas dextrose is the other way around

Completely forgot the bootcamp thing, my bad.
Totally agree with thing getting boring if you were to perform only two different workouts from here to eternity.

Cool! HBCD seems cool though, hoping it will catch on in the market more.

No worries.

@danteism are there any fruits that would be extra suitable for pre-workout?

Only fruits I’ve liked to eat before training have been bananas and oranges (I dont eat either of those anymore). If I had to choose from those two I’d go with oranges. Nothing scientific behind that, they just make me feel good and energetic if they don’t make me vomit.

Lately (well, for quite some time actually) I’ve liked to keep carbs to a minimum before training to avoid blood sugar from crashing. You know the feeling when you eat a banana, something comes up and you have to delay your session by an hour. By the time you get to the gym you’ll feel horrible. Yeah, it’ll pass in a while as you start drinking you intra-workout shake but still, it’s not nice.

Also by having a somewhat long period of time without carbs every day seems to keep bodyfat at bay when gaining.

But to answer your question;
When you are on a diet and want to replenish your liver glycogen before a session choose a fruit that has rather lot of fructose in it. Bananas are a pretty good option. (even if I would rather eat oranges)

Yeah, when life happens.

I guess this would work for people that workout later.

Not so much a liver glycogen thing as a “discovered off-diet how nice it is to have something small but solid to digest during the workout”-thing. Or a not be super hungry while exercising thing.

Definitely, if I had to train at night, which I try to avoid, I’d only consume protein and fat during the day. But again, these things are highly individual. I have a friend that likes to eat carbs on his first and last meal and eat protein and fat in between. That would never work for me but he’s doing great with it.

Like half a pound of beef, some eggs and illegal amounts of broccoli? Yeah, I know the feeling.
It does make you feel more secure in a sense. Or comfy, however you want to put it. If it’s solely that just choose the fruit that gives you the best feeling of satiation. Wouldn’t go for something like grapes where it’s really easy to get lost and just eat like a pound of them in one go though.

Haha, if I had the time.

There’s definitely a sweet spot as far as I’m concerned. Especially lately, when I’ve worked out with the Crossfit boys where we usually kill ourselves with some metcon at the end I’m glad I haven’t eaten as much as I could have because I’d just… vomit. But, now that I’ve tried not working out on just liquid workout nutrition I’ve found that dammit it just feels good to have eaten something. If anything, it should help kick start the digestion process.

So, off-diet I just roll with fruit, plums/nectarines. Granola if I run out. But, on diet, every gram counts and then it’s just tough. Trying to go without pre-workout fruit my first week but if I feel that has a negative impact on the sessions then I’ll borrow some carbs from post-workout.

If having fruit helps you perform you don’t necessarily even need to compensate for it as you are also burning more calories. Just see what happens if you only add the fruit before training - best scenario; you still lose fat. Worst scenario; you don’t lose fat and then do the adjustment.