NorCal Strongman, April 9th

Whats up all!!

I’m going to enter this competition without any previous strongman experience. I post this to ask the veterans where i should aim my focus over the next month as I have no access to an 800lb tire, nor a 340lb concrete ball. Any input is appreciated.

I’m doing this because I think it would be an awesome experience for me, but also to put my hard work in the gym to the test.

link: http://norcalstrongman.com/index.html

Wow, good luck. as for training, i would seriously suggest doing a lot of high pulls (power stairs), clean and jerk (epecially if you have a log), squats, 2-barbell (not a typo) DLs for farmers walk, DLs, crucifix (w/ dbs), and sled dragging.

Do you have access to anything at all? I know there are some gyms out there in cally that cater to strongman. You can go to nastrongman and find a gym close to you, they’ll be glad to welcome another brother.

[quote]mizzou_eng wrote:
Do you have access to anything at all? I know there are some gyms out there in cally that cater to strongman. [/quote]

thanks for the support man!..i actually got an invite to come work out with a crew in Richmond, which i’ll surely do at least a couple times…but its like an 1.5 hours away.

you think my neighbors would look at mr funny pullin’ my SUV down the street?

\m/

Who gives a fuck…I doubt you seriously do!

Will they look at you funny? Yes, they will. They will look on from their bark-a-loungers while guzzeling down McD’s, or driving by in their cars in awe.

True story: I was pulling a sled down the side of a road my gym is on, not a lot of weight, maybe 150#. As I finish my last 50 yard run, this 300# lady pulls up in her POS 1970’s dodge van. She proceeds to somehow pull herself away from her McD’s (no BS here) and say “SO… what in GODS name are YOU DOING???”. I tell her I am training and getting into shape for strongman. She says “WELL… looks like YOU AREN’T doing enough!!”. I laugh in her face, say something to the effect that shes never done a day of working out, yada yada, gonna die of a heart attack, yada yada, go to h$!!.

She then has the audasity to turn to her son (who I thought was a dog (literally)) and say “SEE!! Those meat-heads are nothing but rude and vulgar @$$es, and thats why you can’t go to the gym!”

Poor kid, maybe he’ll get lucky and I drop a tire on her.

You could use a large sand bag in place of that concreat ball. I use my sand bags about 250lbs, for a stone type events. Also if you have a farmers walk event you can use tricept bars at the gym and load them up for walks or farmers deads.
Good luck
Will42

First of all, good luck with your contest. I hope you do well.

Secondly there is a pretty easy and effective way to help train for the stones without actually using them. Set up a barbell like your going to deadlift. Place one 45 pound plate on one side and put 3 or 4 45 pound plates on the other. Then straddle the bar facing the heavy side. Simply bend over and try break the plates of the floor. Think of it as a bear hug. That will help tremendously with your starting strength on the stones as well as give you some technique practice.

The last thing I would try to add are Zercher Squats, Zercher Good Mornings, and Zercher Deadlifts. These lifts will not only help you with the stones but also give you a very good idea of what the Conan’s Wheel is going to feel like.

Have fun!

You know what the Zercher is?? Cool! Only about 20 people in my Missouri know that lift. I assume you will be lifting in the IAWA postal?

I forgot about bearhugs, those help out a lot too. If you really want to train for stones, go find some construction site where they are clearing rocks, find a descent sized stone, and BAM! you got a trainer. (thats what I did for H-stone trainging)

Good luck!

Yoy are more than welcome to give Diablo Barbell a call. We’re in Concord and have some strongman equipment, plenty of sleds and lots of metal!

[quote]mizzou_eng wrote:
You know what the Zercher is?? Cool! Only about 20 people in my Missouri know that lift. I assume you will be lifting in the IAWA postal?

I forgot about bearhugs, those help out a lot too. If you really want to train for stones, go find some construction site where they are clearing rocks, find a descent sized stone, and BAM! you got a trainer. (thats what I did for H-stone trainging)[/quote]

I don’t have any plans to compete any time soon. Thanks for asking though.