Noob ?s About Big Lifts

OK, I know you’ve heard most of these symptoms before and I think most of them are normal, but perhaps the last one is a cause for concern, please let me know.

When really pushing myself on some compound lifts (front squat in particular), my face gets super read, my eyes become the same red, I feel I shouldn’t exhale until the lift is finished or I’ll collapse, and I experience a minor hearing loss.

Should I be exhaling more before I complete the lift? I seem to be only able to exhale a little when under maximum tension before the lift is finished… perhaps this would equalize my ears.

Also, I’m all cool with veins popping out of my arms as I get stronger, but I’ve got one, the stereotypical one that shows on my forehead when lifting… perhaps I should exercise with a bit less intensity and save that last maximal effort rep for another time or somehow manage to exhale more and keep the head pressure to a minimum?

I feel rather silly posting this, but the blood-red eyes, minor hearing loss, and forehead vein are all a bit worrisome.

Thanks,
Ritchey

Good intensity!

Don’t let any air out when squatting.

I dont know about breathing front squats but you could do it with back squats wait until your at the top take a few breaths and hold your breath again

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

I assume you mean when actually going down and up with the weight, not inbetween reps. Why is that though? Aren’t you typically supossed to exhale on the concentric (I think that’s what it’s called) and inhale on the eccentric of most exercises? Why is it different for squats?

you gotta keep a tight core pluss if your fighting a weight you need all the air you can get so exhaleing isnt the best idea

[quote]Dan5290 wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

I assume you mean when actually going down and up with the weight, not inbetween reps. Why is that though? Aren’t you typically supossed to exhale on the concentric (I think that’s what it’s called) and inhale on the eccentric of most exercises? Why is it different for squats?[/quote]

Try exhaling under a max weight and get back to me. you won’t like it, I promise.

To the OP,

What you’re getting is “normal” for many people during very heavy workouts. Don’t sweat it. In fact, don’t really change what you’re doing. You’re getting good tension. Exhaling a little, as you said that you were doing is ok, some people feel better and tighter with a very small exhale. But in general you’re doing ok.

[quote]Dan5290 wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

I assume you mean when actually going down and up with the weight, not inbetween reps. Why is that though? Aren’t you typically supossed to exhale on the concentric (I think that’s what it’s called) and inhale on the eccentric of most exercises? Why is it different for squats?[/quote]

Keeping your breath in your belly helps to stabilize your torso and spine, helping to keep you upright. Not a big puffy chest full either. You have to practice breating deep in to your abdomen, then tightening the abdominal muscles.

It is different for squats and deads because it is very important to keep from collapsing under the load.

Take breaths between reps.

But basically, I never exhale during the lift. I turn bright red, I’ve burst blood vessels in my eyes n’ shit.

It happens.

The hearing loss part flips me out a little. I get the red eyes, bulging blood vessels and even broken blood vessels like under my arms sometimes (not for legs), but not hearing loss.

I can only guess that maybe you’re putting a bunch of pressure on your ear drums from the straining. I hope somebody else knows more about this, I’m curious now.

Im not sure how to explain this but it works for me. To avoid the hearing loss, try holding your breath at the lowest point down your trachea as possible. So that means your mouth can stay open while holding your breath. That way, the tube connecting your throat and inner ear wont be affected.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I’ll try holding my breath at the bottom of my throat and see if it helps, seems to make sense at first look.

I’m glad to know that what I’m experiencing is normal; I’ll keep up the intensity and take a full breath in the up position. I usually inhale on the way down, hold going up, then exhale at the end of the movement before going down again.

As to the concern about how much air I’m inhaling, I’ve read about 70% of lung capacity is optimal so that’s what I do.

Busting vessels in your eyes… damn! How long does that take to clear up?

Thanks again!
Ritchey

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
The hearing loss part flips me out a little. I get the red eyes, bulging blood vessels and even broken blood vessels like under my arms sometimes (not for legs), but not hearing loss.

I can only guess that maybe you’re putting a bunch of pressure on your ear drums from the straining. I hope somebody else knows more about this, I’m curious now.[/quote]

Yup happens. Then recently popped the membrane in the ear the one that blocks water etc. no real pain is much the same as the vessels in eyes borsting etc.

I know several this has happened to, get a little trickle of blood and thats about it for signs. It now feels like someone puts cotton in right ear after a very hard lift. Havent tried it yet but know other who can now blow bubbles thorugh there ears under water.

Phill

[quote]Ritchey wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback!

I’ll try holding my breath at the bottom of my throat and see if it helps, seems to make sense at first look.

I’m glad to know that what I’m experiencing is normal; I’ll keep up the intensity and take a full breath in the up position. I usually inhale on the way down, hold going up, then exhale at the end of the movement before going down again.

As to the concern about how much air I’m inhaling, I’ve read about 70% of lung capacity is optimal so that’s what I do.

Busting vessels in your eyes… damn! How long does that take to clear up?

Thanks again!
Ritchey[/quote]

I wish broken blood vessels would last longer it looks bad ass