T Nation

Noob Needs Diet Advice

I’m a 45 y/o man and a few weeks ago I started lifting to get in shape and lose weight. I need some advice on my diet.

The times in my life I lost weight are all similar:

1. I had a job where I swept floors all day so basically I was walking at a relaxed pace. I think I had a glass of milk or orange juice for breakfast around 6 am, or maybe a bowl of cereal, a can of coke for lunch at noon, and whatever I wanted for dinner at around 5 pm. I wasn’t trying to lose weight but I probably lost a pound, maybe 1.5 a week.

2. Breakfast and lunch like above. For dinner I tried not to eat crap. I stopped drinking soft drinks and walked 6 miles during the day. I was losing weight but I don’t remember how much. I want to say 10 lbs/week.

3. I was working at night and would wake up about 2 pm. I would walk about 1.5 miles and eat dinner around 5. I had whatever I wanted. Around 9 or 10 I had leftovers from dinner about twice a week. I stopped drinking soft drinks. I might have had them with dinner on Friday. I lost 20 lbs. In 3 weeks.

The common theme seems to be, 1 meal a day, no soft drinks, and exercise.

In addition to the above, I tried eating very low carb, 3 meals a day, for 6 weeks, 6 months ago. I lost a pound or 2. Also, I recently did a 30 day juice fast and lost about 50 lbs.

What should I do?

Well, do you just want to lose weight or do you want to be healthy?

Anyone can lose weight by not eating or eating very little, that doesn’t make it a wise decision.
If you have started lifting weights/strength training, then you need to eat well. Eating one meal a day is not a good idea. I guess I should ask:

What are your goals?
What are your current stats (body fat %, height, weight, etc.)?

In any case, if you’re lifting and have started to be more active-- I don’t think you can go wrong with the diet advice in this article: https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/simple-diet

This is great advice. Stick to the plan though, when you’ve been eating between nothing and cereal and coke until dinner, your body will likely have adjusting to do.

If you have yoyoed all your life - it may be worth sorting your breakfast or lunch first and becoming consistent with that before adding more meals.

Been eating 1 - 2 meals for nearly 3 years now. You don’t need 3 square meals a day.

Pick up the ‘Warrior Diet’, and look in to Intermittent Fasting… which you’re (sort of) unknowingly following.
How are you feeling aside from the weight loss? More, less energy? Better sleep?

I like eating 1 meal a day. I seem to have more energy and sleep is fine. I’ll check out ‘Warrior Diet’.

Is it really Intermittent Fasting if you have, say, coffee and/or a banana for breakfast and lunch? From what I’ve read it isn’t. there’s a lot of opinions out there about it though.