T Nation

Noob in Need of Assistance

Hi I've been watching this site for a while reading the articles that popped up on Facebook and I finally decided to join the community and get myself in shape! Seeing as it's 2015 and I'm making this the year I get my shit together!

So on the main course I'm 22 6'2" and weigh 250 I used to lift a lot back in high school. Stopped afterwards and let myself go. Over the years I had tried dieting before to lose weight but I went about it wrong I lost some and a lot of muscle. I'm aiming to burn off fat first then build up more strength and muscle.

Only thing is I have no clue where to begin I hear a lot of people say diet is key but which diet is the right one for me and how do I decide which is the best for me? Any help is much appreciated!

[quote]GanGan wrote:
Hi I’ve been watching this site for a while reading the articles that popped up on Facebook and I finally decided to join the community and get myself in shape! Seeing as it’s 2015 and I’m making this the year I get my shit together!

So on the main course I’m 22 6’2" and weigh 250 I used to lift a lot back in high school. Stopped afterwards and let myself go. Over the years I had tried dieting before to lose weight but I went about it wrong I lost some and a lot of muscle. I’m aiming to burn off fat first then build up more strength and muscle.

Only thing is I have no clue where to begin I hear a lot of people say diet is key but which diet is the right one for me and how do I decide which is the best for me? Any help is much appreciated! [/quote]

First thing in order is to start a solid training program. Get in the habit of hard training 4-5 days a week and also add some energy systems/conditioning work 3x per week. Focus on cleaning up your diet, making healthy food choices (dumping the obvious crap) but do not start a crazy diet right off the bat. Just make some better food choices and train VERY hard and you will see changes. When the training habits are set, after 6 weeks or so it can be time to think about utilizing a specific diet.