T Nation

Noob Here - Couple of Questions

Getting started, I started my journey from a fat 254 pound 5 foot 9 blob and lost weight through a ketogenic diet down to 158 over the last year. It felt great doing this but I was frustrated that even at 158 I still had a slight gut and man boobs.

Currently, I am sitting at 179 and the goal is to get 'ripped' hoping to stay around a 30/31 inch waist but to have a nice physique. I have poked around T Nation for a while, so I will post pics of my current diet and workouts I have done in these first two days below...Feel free to critique and/or give any words of advice you may have. (Note: I have no clue how to add multiple pics to a single post, apologies for multiple posts to get all of the pics on this post)

This is my current diet as of yesterday:
Only thing unaccounted for is 1 krill oil in the morning and Gotu Kola at each meal (recommended my Charles Poliquin for firming up after losing weight)

Second page of diet

This is the first day of workouts my buddy put together for me… The second day was similar but with chest focused workouts (don’t have them written down) and I will be getting more from him as I continue to meet with him, but I believe it is called a 5x5 .

Lastly, this is what I would like to look like, more or less Any advice, guidance, or critiques are more than welcome…I will be posting the other workouts as I receive them. My main question, given the information I posted, is my diet okay to achieve that kind of body and I am also willing to take any and all recommendations. Thank you:

Congratulations man, I’ve always got respect for anyone who has the dedication and willpower for this kind of transformation.

Thanks, man! It was definitely a struggle but a worthy one.

Awesome transformation man definitely something to be proud of. Diet looks to be in check and obviously worked for you so the focus now is on the workouts. I would ditch the workout your friend made and opt for something tried and true made by a professional. Look into the 5/3/1 program here on T-Nation, its easy to follow and has sound principles behind it. Plus you can find success stories all over these forums of people who have used it.

Sounds like you have the diet in pretty good order so I would get on a training plan that works for you. 531 is a good choice and is very adaptable, you could do a push/pull/legs split or an upper / lower split etc lots of choices. Whatever you do choose just commit to it and you’ll see the results.

Another vote for 531 simply because of its track record and how many variations it has. There’s going to be one to suit you.

Also great work on the transformation.

Diet’s not really my strong point, but…

Looks good overall. Protein intake might be a little overkill. May not be a bad idea to reduce the protein just a little and eat a little more fruits, nuts, etc. Certainly wouldn’t hurt to start tracking fats and fiber too. But hey, you made some fantastic progress with the weight loss, so you definitely figured out what works for you.

I’m going to take a slightly less popular opinion here and say that I’m not a big fan of 5/3/1. Doesn’t mean that it won’t work for many people, but it’s not for me. If you’re still pretty new to lifting, I think GreySkull LP with an upper-body focused plug-in (e.g. “arms plug-in”) would be a great place to start.

that routine your friend gave you is not good. I’ll cast another vote for 5/3/1. Do yourself a favour and get a copy of the original ebook. The guy who wrote it has fucked around with it a bit since the first edition and I don’t think it’s as good, so make sure it’s the original.

Congrats on the weight loss! I love hearing about people taking charge of their health in the way you did.

[quote]youngexec14 wrote:
Lastly, this is what I would like to look like, more or less Any advice, guidance, or critiques are more than welcome…I will be posting the other workouts as I receive them. My main question, given the information I posted, is my diet okay to achieve that kind of body and I am also willing to take any and all recommendations. Thank you:[/quote]

It’s pretty vital at this stage to change this “goal.” You’re not that model, so you’ll never look like him. You have different structures, proportions, etc. Best to focus on improving YOU one month, one week, one day at a time. Plus, his level of leanness is not really maintainable. I guarantee he’s only that lean for maybe 3 days at a time after a strict regimen of water manipulation and diuretics in time for his photo shoot. It’s important to find a balance of being happy with how you look but also how you feel.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Lastly, this is what I would like to look like, more or less Any advice, guidance, or critiques are more than welcome…I will be posting the other workouts as I receive them. My main question, given the information I posted, is my diet okay to achieve that kind of body and I am also willing to take any and all recommendations. Thank you:[/quote]

It’s pretty vital at this stage to change this “goal.” You’re not that model, so you’ll never look like him. You have different structures, proportions, etc. Best to focus on improving YOU one month, one week, one day at a time. Plus, his level of leanness is not really maintainable. I guarantee he’s only that lean for maybe 3 days at a time after a strict regimen of water manipulation and diuretics in time for his photo shoot. It’s important to find a balance of being happy with how you look but also how you feel. [/quote]

First of all thanks so much to everyone that posted! I appreciate that it is true that this person probably only did look like this for 3 days, etc. Thank you for bringing that perspective to my eyes, and I will certainly be running with it. As well, I will be looking into the 5/3/1 everyone has mentioned, seems like the resounding win for most people here. Cheers!

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

It’s pretty vital at this stage to change this “goal.” You’re not that model, so you’ll never look like him. You have different structures, proportions, etc. Best to focus on improving YOU one month, one week, one day at a time. Plus, his level of leanness is not really maintainable. I guarantee he’s only that lean for maybe 3 days at a time after a strict regimen of water manipulation and diuretics in time for his photo shoot. It’s important to find a balance of being happy with how you look but also how you feel. [/quote]

First of all thanks so much to everyone that posted! I appreciate that it is true that this person probably only did look like this for 3 days, etc. Thank you for bringing that perspective to my eyes, and I will certainly be running with it. As well, I will be looking into the 5/3/1 everyone has mentioned, seems like the resounding win for most people here. Cheers!
[/quote]

Good call. I don’t think I’ve come across a program with a better overall success rate than 531. Plus, there are so many iterations of it now that Jim Wendler has created it is almost impossible that there isn’t one which will suit you.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Congratulations man, I’ve always got respect for anyone who has the dedication and willpower for this kind of transformation.[/quote]

I second that. Looks like you’ve done a great job.

But yea, your exercises suck ballsacks
Live your life at the gym in the squat rack, pull up, and dip bars.

Quarantine the smith and machines. There is a time and place for them, and not for you currently.

You’re doing a very good job. Very motivated. Diet is very well organized. Keep us posted on performance