Noob ? About Fish Oil

OK, I’ve heard a lot about “Fish Oil” here at T-Nation, both from members and authors. HOWEVER, I still have no idea exactly what “Fish oil” is, what are its benefits/what does it do, where do I get it, how often should it be taken, and in what quantities/under what circumstances?

Plz help me out understanding what it is.

thx in advance!

Fish oil is one of the best supplements you could ever take. It:

-helps blood, brain, and heart.
-pretty sure it lowers blood pressure.
-reduces inflammation in blood.
-lowers bad cholesterol, increases good cholesterol.
-speeds up metabolism.
-stops build-up of fat deposits in arteries.
-speeds up weight loss because it activates fat-burning enzymes.
-provides awesome resistance to stuff like flu, cold, etc.
-increases energy and concentration.
-also helps fight diseases/bad shit like depression, cancer, ulcers, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, etc.

I’d pick-up Flameout right now if I were you. It is the best Fish Oil product on the market and has added anti-inflammatory response.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
It is the best Fish Oil product on the market and has added anti-inflammatory response.[/quote]

Added anti-inflammatory response?

What exactly is that?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
PB Andy wrote:
It is the best Fish Oil product on the market and has added anti-inflammatory response.

What exactly is that?[/quote]

In other words, something that takes away inflammation (swollen/painful). So, for a guy like me who’s had two shoulder surgeries, it might have a similar effect to Advil (an anti-inflammatory), MINUS the possible negative side effects of Advil.

I was able to get off of Mobic and Advil (for the swelling and aching in my shoulders) because I began taking healthy doses of fish oil (3-4 grams of combined DHA and EPA a day). It was not until I started using a higher dose (as previously mentioned) that I was able to get off the anti-inflam’s and stick with fish oil.

[quote]youngun wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
PB Andy wrote:
It is the best Fish Oil product on the market and has added anti-inflammatory response.

What exactly is that?

In other words, something that takes away inflammation (swollen/painful). So, for a guy like me who’s had two shoulder surgeries, it might have a similar effect to Advil (an anti-inflammatory), MINUS the possible negative side effects of Advil.

I was able to get off of Mobic and Advil (for the swelling and aching in my shoulders) because I began taking healthy doses of fish oil (3-4 grams of combined DHA and EPA a day). It was not until I started using a higher dose (as previously mentioned) that I was able to get off the anti-inflam’s and stick with fish oil.[/quote]

Actually you’re wrong, or more to the point you didn’t actually answer the question. The question was a leading one as I already know the answer.

Your definition would equate to an “anti-inflammatory response”. I asked what was the “added” anti-inflammatory response. The answer is there isn’t one. Flameout isn’t anymore anti-inflammatory than any other fish oil with the same DHA/EPA ratios, or at least similar ones.

I’m not saying Flameout isn’t the shit, I just don’t want misleading statements out there that it has something added that can’t be added.

Make sure you actually understand what I am saying before you respond so we don’t end up arguing.

Thx fellas!

I will definitely check “Flameout” out.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
youngun wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
PB Andy wrote:

What exactly is that?

I was able to get off of Mobic and Advil (for the swelling and aching in my shoulders) because I began taking healthy doses of fish oil (3-4 grams of combined DHA and EPA a day). It was not until I started using a higher dose (as previously mentioned) that I was able to get off the anti-inflam’s and stick with fish oil.

Actually you’re wrong, or more to the point you didn’t actually answer the question. The question was a leading one as I already know the answer.

Your definition would equate to an “anti-inflammatory response”. I asked what was the “added” anti-inflammatory response. The answer is there isn’t one. Flameout isn’t anymore anti-inflammatory than any other fish oil with the same DHA/EPA ratios, or at least similar ones.

I’m not saying Flameout isn’t the shit, I just don’t want misleading statements out there that it has something added that can’t be added.

Make sure you actually understand what I am saying before you respond so we don’t end up arguing.[/quote]

1.Why not just correct the poster if you felt the individual provided misleading information instead of setting them up for failure?

2.Flameout does have the ‘added’ benefit of CLA in order to help regulate COX-2. CLA isn’t found in generic fish oils so Flameout would most likely provide more of an anti-inflamatory response than generic fish oil.

3.I dont think the poster was misleading anyone. The topic was based around Flameout, which has CLA.

1. Comments like this are very condescending and lead to arguments. Give the poster a break.

[quote]reconbyfire wrote:
1.Why not just correct the poster if you felt the individual provided misleading information instead of setting them up for failure?[/quote]

Sometimes it’s important for people to think for themselves rather than being spoonfed. Besides, I gave the guy a chance to tell me something I may not know.

You misunderstand the uses for CLA. CLA does not add to the anti-inflammatory nature of Flameout.

You’re right- I don’t think he was intentionally misleading anyone.

I wasn’t rude or a jerk at all in my comments, nor was I condescending. If you feel I was, then that is your perception. I’m not responsible for you perceptions.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=952894&pageNo=0

I just found that artcle by googing Flameout. Its awesome!

oh also, I looked around the kictchen and saw my mom just bought Fish Oil Omega-3 from the pharmacy. Now it doesn’t have the same amount DHA & EPA, nor does it have CLA, but I in the meantime its better than nothing.