T Nation

Noni Juice and Recovery

Alright, here’s the deal - some friends have told me to take noni juice for overall health, to moisturize, yada yada. However, I researched Noni juice and it says that it is a pain killer.

I don’t like this for two reasons: most pain killers on the market inhibit muscle recovery through blocking I believe, and I never take pain killers for anything - but that’s just more of an “I’m a man, I can deal with pain” issue. The inhibiting muscle growth factor is what really worries me.

Now, have any of you tried Noni juice and noticed it inhibiting your muscle growth or recovery since you started taking it? I wonder if it has similar chemical properties as the pain-killer drugs in that respect.

[quote]DTC wrote:
Alright, here’s the deal - some friends have told me to take noni juice for overall health, to moisturize, yada yada. However, I researched Noni juice and it says that it is a pain killer.

I don’t like this for two reasons: most pain killers on the market inhibit muscle recovery through blocking I believe, and I never take pain killers for anything - but that’s just more of an “I’m a man, I can deal with pain” issue. The inhibiting muscle growth factor is what really worries me.

Now, have any of you tried Noni juice and noticed it inhibiting your muscle growth or recovery since you started taking it? I wonder if it has similar chemical properties as the pain-killer drugs in that respect. [/quote]

Have your friends researched it? how informed are they? How are they backing up their recommendation to you?

My suggestion: look into it (looks like you have done), if you don’t like what you hear then ignore your friends.

My brother came back from Hawaii a month ago and gave me a brochure about Noni juice. Sounds good but with all the supplements I take, I’d probably be overdoing it at this point. I haven’t tried it or know if it works but might consider it in the future. Peace.

Holy crap DTC, you’re exactly right! It will inhibit muscle growth and recovery.

Nice call!!

BTW-Are you a science student? I’m curious because this is a great connection and good application.

[quote]DTC wrote:

[/quote]

Mr. Barr - Thanks. I’m really into fitness and nutrition so I do a lot of my own research both online and through databases.

I also perform my own experiments to test out different ways of working muscles and fueling workouts/recovery with different nutrition/supplement combos on both myself, friends and clients. But yes, I have taken a fair share of exercise science courses and I have a pre-med focus - so I guess I’m a science guy.

Generally, however, I like to use science as a guideline and just apply the succesful fitness and nutritional programs I have formulated in the past within those parameters. Well I just officially rambled, but yeah - thanks for noticing my scientific analysis haha.

Stuey - Yeah, I never take anything that I don’t research extensively first, I’m just too uptight with things like that.

Ghost - Yeah, agreed. Everything advertised about the product seemed awesome to me besides the pain killer part. I guess it’s just not a supplement that I’d be interested in.