Non-Whey Protein Powders?

I use whey protein and am very happy with it but a fellow worker has had a bad reaction to whey protein and her DR. said she is alergic to it.

Anyways she is looking at still purchasing something that will provide her with protein for shakes.

Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Casein.

If she is looking for a fast acting protein try casein hydrolysate, although many people don’t like the taste because it can be extremely bitter. For a meal replacement go with casein as that tends to sit in the gut longer. What’s wrong with her eating more meals, if this is the case?

If she has an allergic reaction to those two look for beef protein or vegetable protein (pea or hemp) but from what I understand the vegetable proteins aren’t as good compared to the three mentioned before that.

[quote]riverhawk23 wrote:
If she is looking for a fast acting protein try casein hydrolysate, although many people don’t like the taste because it can be extremely bitter. For a meal replacement go with casein as that tends to sit in the gut longer. What’s wrong with her eating more meals, if this is the case?[/quote]
I would bet that most people with milk allergens (which is common) would also be allergic to casein as well, even if hydrolyzed because even high quality CH is not 100% hydrolyzed.

[quote]…If she has an allergic reaction to those two look for beef protein[/quote](
very expensive. you might as well just eat fresh ground organic grass fed beef which is undoubtedly better for you)

or rice (Jarrow is top notch)

Disagree. Based on the studies I’ve read, in a side by side comparison of whey hydrolysate and SOY protein, the only difference in muscle protein synthesis is caused by additional leucine in the whey. Soy protein is shitty though, but the point of that study is that even fancy whey isn’t that much better than vegetable protein, and is much cheaper, so use the extra money to buy some L-Leucine from the Biotest Store, and you’re good to go. By the way, most rice protein (including Jarrow) is fortified to closely match the amino acid profile of egg, which is leucine rich.

*edited for clarity :slight_smile:

A friend of mine says he gets great results from hemp protein, but I have not tried it myself.

whey protein isolate is lactose free. Isopure sells isolate only protein.

There is always egg protein too.

Thanks for the input.I’ll pass the info to her.