T Nation

Non-Stimulant Appetite Suppressant?

Can anyone recommend a non-stimulatory appetite suppressant I could take late in the day (close to bedtime)? I have just started Berardi’s Get Shredded Diet, which I’ve used to great effect to get into the mid single digits bodyfat in the past. It’s very tough. But works. When I drop carbs and calories this low, I start to have issues sleeping, in part due to being hungry at bedtime. The ZMA and Z12 do help some, but I’d like to see what else might assist.

Honestly, I’d like to see Biotest turn its efforts to such a supplement. It’s been a long time since a new supplement has come out, and I think this would fill a need.

Maybe look into 5HTP. IIRC, it will raise serotonin which might be low with a low carb diet. Serotonin being converted to melatonin to help you sleep. Lots of evidence that it suppresses appetite too.

[quote]oso0690 wrote:
Maybe look into 5HTP. IIRC, it will raise serotonin which might be low with a low carb diet. Serotonin being converted to melatonin to help you sleep. Lots of evidence that it suppresses appetite too.[/quote]

The above is true. Just make sure you’re also supplementing with L-Tyrosine to back fill dopamine synthesis. Our brains like to maintain homeostasis and if you introduce 5-htp, it will increase serotonin levels which over long periods of time can reduce dopamine levels. In my opinion, I would find another way to reduce your appetite or work on your will power. Modifying neurotransmitters in your brain could have consequences.

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:

[quote]oso0690 wrote:
Maybe look into 5HTP. IIRC, it will raise serotonin which might be low with a low carb diet. Serotonin being converted to melatonin to help you sleep. Lots of evidence that it suppresses appetite too.[/quote]

The above is true. Just make sure you’re also supplementing with L-Tyrosine to back fill dopamine synthesis. Our brains like to maintain homeostasis and if you introduce 5-htp, it will increase serotonin levels which over long periods of time can reduce dopamine levels. In my opinion, I would find another way to reduce your appetite or work on your will power. Modifying neurotransmitters in your brain could have consequences.[/quote]

You may also want to do a google search for “Examine” and then search again for said supplements or other ways to suppress appetite.

Thanks for the input, guys.