Non-Meat Complementary Protein Ratios

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
You should focus on getting your protein from meat. Any protein you get from plant sources should be seen as incidental.[/quote]

Once a protein broken down in the body, amino acids are amino acids.

OP.

Just eat your food. No one is going to list the ratio of every combination of foods that have incomplete proteins. [/quote]
I think meat is better utilised. I certainly feel a whole lot better (and perform better)when my protein is primarily meat and not dairy, nuts, legumes or supplements. Could be vitamin and mineral related but digestion and utilisation of meat protein is better than most other forms, especialy plant based proteins. [/quote]

Off of a rough estimate, 30% (max) of my protein intake is from meat/fish.

The rest is whey and pea protein powder, MD, milk, eggs, and everything else.

The more meat I eat the more pro-biotics I need to take.

Digestion is an extremely individual thing, I think. [/quote]
Id count Eggs in with my Meat protein intake, just because of the source and very high (highest on some scales) bioavailabilty of its protein. The rest of your sources still look much better than what vegans would try to get their protein from. Legumes and nuts etc.

Hemp seed is great for vegans. Berardi uses it I believe, and it has all necessary aminos and such, plus GLA and omega 3s

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I agree.

I can take in quite a bit of chicken without any problems, but when I start to go too heavy on the red meat or protein powders I need to look into probiotics as well. Some of my friends don’t have any problem pounding down a ton of either of these.

EDIT:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
pea protein powder[/quote]

WTF? That just sounds expensive and kinda unpleasant.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I agree.

I can take in quite a bit of chicken without any problems, but when I start to go too heavy on the red meat or protein powders I need to look into probiotics as well. Some of my friends don’t have any problem pounding down a ton of either of these.

EDIT:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
pea protein powder[/quote]

WTF? That just sounds expensive and kinda unpleasant. [/quote]

about $5.80 per pound. Mixed together with whey iso and whey hydro. not the best tasting combo but I rarely drink it without some sort of flavored carb powder.

I have banana MD for ‘dessert’ shakes at night.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I don’t disagree, but that’s not what I was getting at.

I was trying to say that focusing on plant sources for protein is a bitch for someone who needs 300g+ daily.
[/quote]

Whoa whoa whoa…who’s posted that needs 300+ grams of protein?

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I don’t disagree, but that’s not what I was getting at.

I was trying to say that focusing on plant sources for protein is a bitch for someone who needs 300g+ daily.
[/quote]

Whoa whoa whoa…who’s posted that needs 300+ grams of protein?[/quote]

It’s a reasonable presupposition for a weight lifting forum. Most people here are on high protein diets.

If I had said 250g would that have changed something?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
about $5.80 per pound. Mixed together with whey iso and whey hydro. not the best tasting combo but I rarely drink it without some sort of flavored carb powder.

I have banana MD for ‘dessert’ shakes at night. [/quote]

That’s a pretty reasonable price. Any reason you go for pea protein in particular?

MD shakes are pretty awesome as far as flavor is concerned. I like a mix of the banana/chocolate with some almond butter/ice thrown in. Screwing around with different MD concoctions has definitely helped me avoid quite a few cheats.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

That’s a pretty reasonable price. Any reason you go for pea protein in particular?

MD shakes are pretty awesome as far as flavor is concerned. I like a mix of the banana/chocolate with some almond butter/ice thrown in. Screwing around with different MD concoctions has definitely helped me avoid quite a few cheats.[/quote]

Because it saves a lot of money when buying 15+ pounds at a time.

whoa, the vegetarians have gotten to everybody… LOL…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

MD shakes are pretty awesome as far as flavor is concerned. I like a mix of the banana/chocolate with some almond butter/ice thrown in. Screwing around with different MD concoctions has definitely helped me avoid quite a few cheats.[/quote]

Because it saves a lot of money when buying 15+ pounds at a time. [/quote]

LOL fair enough.

My wife works the front desk at a music school. One of the hippie guitar teachers there proudly told her he just became a vegetarian.
She said, “Be careful. Where will your protein come from?”

He said “Protein is WAY over-rated. Besides, I eat a lot of broccoli and broccoli is loaded with protein!”

I posted this because it shows the gross ignorance of many vegan/vegetarians. They jump on the bandwagon yet don’t do the research.
Asking questions here pertaining to vegetarian protein sources is smart. Although I eat meat and other flesh daily, I have no problem with the INTELLIGENT dietary decisions of others.

Truth be told, the problem of “where will you get your protein in a vegan diet” IS over-rated.
I’ve been vegan for about half the year each year (total time/year, but only 7 continuous weeks, the rest is intermittent), and, esp. since I’m trying to gain weight and only care about getting 1.5 g protein/kg (.7/lb), I find it pretty easy to get my protein.

Sour-dough bread: ~10 g/100 g (220 kcal/100 g)
Oats: ~13 g/100 g (360 kcal/100 g)
Legumes: ~20 g/100 g (350 kcal/100g)

ooo intermittent vegan… Is that like intermittent fasting? Hey, I’m kind of an intermittent vegan as I don’t eat any meat for 16 hours every day. :slight_smile:

[quote]Sterneneisen wrote:
Truth be told, the problem of “where will you get your protein in a vegan diet” IS over-rated.
I’ve been vegan for about half the year each year (total time/year, but only 7 continuous weeks, the rest is intermittent), and, esp. since I’m trying to gain weight and only care about getting 1.5 g protein/kg (.7/lb), I find it pretty easy to get my protein.

Sour-dough bread: ~10 g/100 g (220 kcal/100 g)
Oats: ~13 g/100 g (360 kcal/100 g)
Legumes: ~20 g/100 g (350 kcal/100g)

[/quote]

nice! grain protein!

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Screwing around with different MD concoctions has definitely helped me avoid quite a few cheats.[/quote]

What’s a MD shake? (is MD a brand?)
When I google I get the Maryland Shakespeare Festival.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Screwing around with different MD concoctions has definitely helped me avoid quite a few cheats.[/quote]

When I google I get the Maryland Shakespeare Festival. [/quote]

This site sells a protein powder called Metabolic Drive.

If you want quality protein powder thats for vegans try garden of life RAW protein, basically made from nuts, legumes, etc

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

When I google I get the Maryland Shakespeare Festival. [/quote]

This site sells a protein powder called Metabolic Drive.[/quote]

Thanks

Sour-leavened grain probably has a BV of ~80, which is ok if you have nothing better for a (short) while.
Add some legumes, and you’ve all the protein you need (and maybe a bit too many kcals for someone who wants to lose weight… then again, 300 g legumes + 300 g grains + 50 g oil : ~2600 kcals and 100 g pr.

As I (didn’t) say, for no more than a few weeks, then back to meat and eggs etc.

Also, some guy had an article on protein cycling a while back (~2005).

why would one need probiotics? just wondering if im missing out on something awesome.