Non-Agenda-Oriented Solutions

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:
What original solutions do you have for the problems that exist in our society? [/quote]

What if the solution is already known?

Don’t hurt people. Mind your own business.[/quote]

What’s that a solution too?
[/quote]

It is a commandment for government and people to obey that solve the problem of aggressive violence and coercion.

It brigs about peace, freedom, trade, and subsequently, prosperity for those willing to cooperate in society.[/quote]

If people stop hurting other people, then the problem of aggressive violence will be solved.

but that’s not a solution.
that’s a tautology.

Why is it assumed that the best ‘solutions’ would be ones you’d like, or original.

[quote]ephrem wrote:
To believe that you can solve a problem by continueing to use solutions that have previously failed, that’s craziness.

Ironcross, unless humankind makes a discovery that releases us from the bondage of fossil fuel and unless humankind unlearns ancient superstition in favour of reason, I think we’re doomed as a species.

There are too many people who believe in lies and those who are in a position to make a true difference; they don’t care at all.

The problems that exist in our society exist because of our society. To solve those problems is to change society at it’s heart and that only happens with war, revolt or cataclysm.[/quote]

Here’s a little something to get your spirits up: 'Inexhaustible' source of hydrogen may be unlocked by salt water, engineers say -- ScienceDaily

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…unless humankind makes a discovery that releases us from the bondage of fossil fuel and unless humankind unlearns ancient superstition in favour of reason, I think we’re doomed as a species…[/quote]
[/quote]

What I wonder is why you use a pic depicting gold bars placed in the shape of a cross rather than some other non-denominational shape.

I do believe I smell an agenda brewing.

Oh, and we are doomed as a human species for a plethora of reasons. I’m over it. People suck.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:
This board is fraught with political and religion argument and I’ve noticed that when someone brings up an idea that doesn’t have a side (such as my idea in the “How to get rid of Jobless people” thread and the lack of response to my response about how it’s true that Atheists do turn into somewhat more selfish people and what can be done about that), no one cares to give it a second thought.

This means that either everyone is just here because they want to fight or they don’t care about an idea unless it was brought to them by their religion or political party. I am scared of that second option and I hope it isn’t true.

What original solutions do you have for the problems that exist in our society? [/quote]

Well, it depends on the problem, list one and I will give you a solution. ‘All of them’ is kinda hard to give a solution to. Jobs, homelessness, drugs, Middle East, the Meredith Kertcher murder, etc.?
I got lots of solutions.

Can’t say I have an agenda in all of them because lot’s of things don’t really pertain to me.[/quote]

Finally someone who’s willing to play! Here are some current brain teasers: how do you stimulate the economy without giving out freebies, creating jobs that don’t exist, or getting rid of the excess people?

What are some proven strategies for reducing criminal re-offense and how would you recommend incorporating them?

What should we do with the fostercare system, considering it’s currently not working very well?

How can we help a 3rd world country catch up to us without going broke ourselves or creating excessive harm to the environment?

What could we tell atheists that would encourage them to be more altruistic on a regular basis that has nothing to do with religion?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[/quote]

It is a commandment for government and people to obey that solve the problem of aggressive violence and coercion.

It brigs about peace, freedom, trade, and subsequently, prosperity for those willing to cooperate in society.[/quote]

If people stop hurting other people, then the problem of aggressive violence will be solved.

but that’s not a solution.
that’s a tautology.

[/quote]

According to primatologists, war may be written into our DNA. I’ve noticed that kids love playing war. The most popular video games where I am located are Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. Based on this, I’d say humans actually enjoy war-like play. The ones fighting them don’t, of course.

So, maybe there is a way of re-directing this love into something that fulfills the same desire.

[quote]ironcross wrote:

Leave people alone. Each person is best suited to figure out what is best for said person.

[quote]orion wrote:
None.

People who come up with original solutions to age old problems are usually bat shit crazy.[/quote]

Thomas Edison was batshit crazy?

Is bat shit crazy the same thing as analytically creative with extra determination? If so, we need more bat shit crazy people.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

Leave people alone. Each person is best suited to figure out what is best for said person.[/quote]

What would the application of this idea in society look like?

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

Everybody is seemingly throwing random solutions around, but to what?

First, get comfortable with the fact that there will always be problems and many which we cannot control. So what are we trying to fix?[/quote]

Yes. Need to take one problem at a time.

The OP is a bit too open.

[/quote]

I was at that. Repost:

Finally someone who’s willing to play! Here are some current brain teasers: how do you stimulate the economy without giving out freebies, creating jobs that don’t exist, or getting rid of the excess people?

What are some proven strategies for reducing criminal re-offense and how would you recommend incorporating them?

What should we do with the fostercare system, considering it’s currently not working very well?

How can we help a 3rd world country catch up to us without going broke ourselves or creating excessive harm to the environment?

What could we tell atheists that would encourage them to be more altruistic on a regular basis that has nothing to do with religion?

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

Leave people alone. Each person is best suited to figure out what is best for said person.[/quote]

What would the application of this idea in society look like?[/quote]

As little government as possible.

As a complete aside, I have an iron cross. It was my maternal great-grandfather’s. He was awarded it for valor in WWI. Also recommended for the Blue Max by his CO, but didn’t make it.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

What would the application of this idea in society look like?[/quote]

As little government as possible.

As a complete aside, I have an iron cross. It was my maternal great-grandfather’s. He was awarded it for valor in WWI. Also recommended for the Blue Max by his CO, but didn’t make it.[/quote]

I picked the name because, probably in my head alone, it could be referring to so many different things.

What mechanisms would need to be in place to accomplish as little government as possible?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

As little government as possible…

[/quote]

And herein lies the rub. How do we determine that quantity?[/quote]

You don’t determine it.

Let every individual state of the USA experment. And let people (and businesses) vote with their feet.

Limit the federal government to the barest Constitutional requirements.

There will be different “quantities” of government in each state, and perhaps in many cities in towns. People will go where they are best suited.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

You don’t determine it.

Let every individual state of the USA experment. And let people (and businesses) vote with their feet.

There will be different “quantities” of government in each state, and perhaps in many cities in towns. People will go where they are best suited.[/quote]

I like your idea. What systems/mechanisms would need to be in place to allow this to happen? What would the voting mechanisms look like? Can you give an exact example of how this would work?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

You don’t determine it.

There will be different “quantities” of government in each state, and perhaps in many cities in towns. People will go where they are best suited.[/quote]

I absolutely agree.

Come to think of it, that’s the way the whole deal was originally drawn up…[/quote]

Good input! I was thinking this, too. What is working against the original idea and what are some realistic solutions to those forces?