T Nation

Noise in Shoulder, No Pain

Last night while doing facepulls in my home I heard a sound coming from my shoulder. I thought it sounded like hair being cut by a scissors, my girlfriend described it as a grinding-mortar-in-a-pestle type of noise. it didn't hurt, but this is not the first time I've had problems with this shoulder. I roll the shoulder out using a lacrosse ball regularly twice a week.

What does this sound likely indicate and what can I do about it?

Noise in the shoulder can be a wide variety of things. Biggest possibility is tendon friction over bone or other tendons. Could be worn cartilage/ bone contact but typically that causes pain. Both shoulders or just one? Any motions restricted?

It's just the left one. The motion isn't restricted but doesnt feel "right" - almost as if it will go through the same ROM as the right one, but with a little more effort, or it doesnt go through the ROM quite as "smoothly"

Could be a couple different things from a stability standpoint as well. You may want to get it checked by an experienced soft tissue provider, it's good you do the lax ball on your own, but to really resolve it you might need some work on it. I would suggest ART over Graston, because you really don't want some yahoo digging in around your subscap with a graston tool. Always the possibility of some labral issues as the cause for omse of that grinding. If that's the case, do everything you can to make sure your scap stability is squared away and balanced to put off surgery as long as possible.

This could be serious... Not trying to freak you out but my problems started out this way...

Basically I had/have a protracted shoulder girdle or rounded shoulders... On top of this it has either causes or been caused by a winged scapular.

Imagine dominoes falling down in a big line... One thing causes another and the problems mount up and eventually you get really damn hurt.

The causes can be many, bad posture - do you have an IT based job? Tight chest muscles, tight or weak scap, weak rhomboids, weak rear delts and weak lats.

So what I've been trying to do is get all of those weak areas stronger, focusing also on flexibility and mobility exercises as well. I've no idea how long it'll take to fix the problem, even if it will but either way strengthening those weak points is probably a good thing.

GL