Nobody Wants to be a Clone (5/3/1)

5/3/1 Week 3, Day 2

Well, I didn’t sleep very well again last night, and I’m seriously hoping that’s what was wrong today. I felt a little slow and a little weak, but I still took the camera in to get my last deadlift set on record for posterity and critique. I did my set, watched the video, and I impressed myself. There’s no way I should have been able to get through the set uninjured. I THINK my form is completely dicked up. I can’t specifically tell, and maybe I’m being paranoid. It didn’t feel wrong or anything - heavy, sure, but not wrong. I just can’t get over the video. It’s attached.

Week 3, Deadlifts:

1 x 5 @ 90
1 x 5 @ 110
1 x 3 @ 130

1 x 5 @ 165
1 x 3 @ 185
1 x 8 @ 210

Back Extensions:
5 x 12, unweighted

Hanging Leg Raise:
4 x 12
1 x 10

Back x’s felt pretty good - they are getting some weight added to them at the beginning of the next cycle. Hanging leg raise wasn’t bad, either. Chalk helps with them a lot. By the beginning of wave 2, I should be getting all 12 in all 5 sets - then I’m shooting for sets of 15, THEN I’ll move to pike position.

As for the video - apologies it’s a little long in the front - I had to chalk my hands after pressing record. Also, I stop after 4 reps because my damn wrist wrap kept snagging my pants and catching the bar. It got tossed.

Please, PLEASE - if I’m so jacked up on deadlift that it’s ridiculous, let me know so I can work form on deload week. Thanks guys.

To me, it looks like your back is a little to rounded in the Dead Lift. Rippetoe suggests keeping your back as straight as possible. Its really hard to do, though, especially in the last reps of the heaviest set.

Rippetoe claims if you have your back straight in the Dead Lift you will never be injured, but if you go to his site you see a number of guys post with back injuries–and he always claims that it wouldn’t have happened if you did the Lift correctly, which I guess mostly means keeping your back straight.

For me, the Dead Lift is a tough lift to keep good form in, especially if you are on your last set.

5/3/1 week 3, day 3 - Benching

Today was my first day really putting a load on my wrist after visiting the doctor. Coming up on 10 months with a wrist injury and had some tingling in my hand the other day. The general diagnosis was…don’t do pushups, and sucks to be me. So, figures. Anyway, got in and tried to hit it pretty strong since this is my “big” week. Naturally, my wrist started killing me after my big bench set.

Bench Press:
1 x 5 @ 70
1 x 5 @ 90
1 x 3 @ 105

1 x 5 @ 135
1 x 3 @ 150
1 x 10 @ 170

DB Incline:
2 x 15 @ 35
1 x 12 @ 35

DB Flat:
2 x 15 @ 35

Kroc Rows:
1 x 25 @ 50
1 x 15 @ 50

I wanted to switch up my DB assistance work today, so I went for the incline. But, by the second set, my wrist was killing my form. I tried to grit my teeth, but suffered for it on the third set. Changing the angle down to flat helped me out some and I was able to get through it. Not the best assistance work, though. As for the Kroc’s today - I was pissed by this point. I could feel it in my wrist, but I really wanted 25. So, I got it. By the end of the second set, I was dizzy, breathing hard, and felt like I was going to hork. So, I called it a day. It was a good week, all things considered, but I’m looking forward to my next heavy wave of this program. I am sold on the concept and hope I can get my strength goals in line.

No video today - I’m kind of timid about videotaping bench press because…well, my numbers suck. According to the calculated max via the 5/3/1 program, my max right now is 226.something. That is huge for me, because I’ve never put up 225. Whenever I attempt it, I’ll try to get it on film for the first time. That’ll be huge.

5/3/1 Week 3, Day 4

Well, this is pretty much the wrap up for my first cycle of 5/3/1. Next week is my deload week, and I am kind of looking forward to it. I’ve been hitting it really hard (as much as I can) and it’ll be nice to hit a maintenance week. Today felt pretty good, as I was able to get about what I thought I should.

Leg Day

Squats:
1 x 5 @ 70
1 x 5 @ 90
1 x 3 @ 115

1 x 5 @ 140
1 x 3 @ 160
1 x 10 @ 180

Leg Press:
5 x 15 @ 155

Leg Curl:
3 x 10 @ 90
1 x 7 @ 90

I cut my leg curls short one set because I was just destroyed. I felt like I had been freakin’ beaten with a stick. But, the overall evaluation of this program, for me, is extremely positive. Granted, I’m sure I had a lot of newbie strength capacity to fill out, but I’m hoping it can help me hit a few goals. I’m going to re-calculate my rep maxes based on the last sets this week and see what I come up with for my next cycle. On THAT cycle (starting in 2 weeks) I’ll have more reliable supplementation through the whole thing, so that’ll be good. Anyway, more vids are going up next round and I’ll start really tracking some strength goals. Appreciate those who have followed so far, and I’ll be throwing up the deload week numbers just to keep up my baseline.

5/3/1, Second Cycle

Well, I didn’t put my 4th week up for my first 5/3/1 cycle because it wasn’t a “progress week.” I completely dedicated my training to the 5/3/1 and I’m loving it. I made good strength gains and felt great along the way. Despite a lot of distractions and traveling, I managed to stick with it. For the second cycle, I didn’t bother taking another week after the deload week to establish new maxes. Instead, I used my last big set from my 1st cycle week 3 sets. Thanks to excel, it was an easy setup. I also re-started my energy-boosting supplement and hit it strong today. My first tier goals are starting to come into focus and by the time the wedding I’m going to rolls around, I should be just outside of reaching them. That is really an exciting concept for me.

C2, Week 1, Day 1 - Mil Presses

Military Press: (Goal: 135 OHP)
1 x 5 @ 45
1 x 5 @ 55
1 x 3 @ 65

1 x 5 @ 70
1 x 5 @ 80
1 x 11 @ 90

Dips:
3 x 15 @ +15
1 x 15 unweighted
1 x 10 unweighted

Chins:
3 x 10
1 x 9
1 x 5

All exercises felt good, even though I am crazy sleepy today. I didn’t sleep much but I wanted to start on a good foot. Added weight on the dips today, and it seemed like my first two sets were nothing special. I think that 15 was just the right amount, though, and by the end of this cycle I should be close to getting all sets/reps with the added weight. Felt the bonk a little in my chins, though. I chalk that one up to losing some steam and just being tired, but a really motivating day to start.

5/3/1, Second Cycle

Today was deadlift day, and I really wanted to go in focused on my form. Despite this, it pretty much went to hell and now I feel like I’m more sore than I should be. Not injured, thankfully, but I’m not lucky enough to stay that way unless I get my act together. My problem is the same as in my vid from before - I round my back when I start a pull. What I did notice, though, is that I seem to be pushing through the balls of my feet, rather than driving my heels to the deck. After watching a bunch of Rippetoe’s vids earlier today and reading some about the proper form, I’m going to be doing some practicing this week. I think my stance is wrong, so maybe I’ll get it worked out. Tips are always welcome

Week 1, day 2 - Deadlift (Goal: 300lbs):

Deadlifts:
1 x 5 @ 95
1 x 5 @ 120
1 x 3 @ 145

1 x 5 @ 155
1 x 5 @ 180
1 x 8 @ 205

Back Extensions:
4 x 12 +15
1 x 10 +15

Hanging LR:
4 x 12

Unfortunately, in addition to my form issue, I got mollywhopped by a headache while training today. By the time I got to the last set of back x’s, I was getting dizzy every time I got off the incline. I didn’t want to just walk out with no ab work, though, so I managed to get in as many as I could, but it was pretty bad. I can handle nausea, upset stomach - but headaches for me are terrible. Anyway, feeling a little better now - pleased with my weight increases. It’s getting to the challenging point, so we’ll have to see how things turn out.

Injury.

Starting to hate that word. The wrist injury I suffered last June is starting to haunt me more than it has before. I have had multiple x-rays, an MRI, and taken all kinds of pain killers and anti-inflammatories. Normally, I just tape it up and get in the gym. Well, I’m starting to hit the heavier weight ranges for me, and after a week of “rest” (aka, deload) I got back in it pretty strong. My wrist almost collapsed after I got out of the gym. I couldn’t put weight on it at all. The doc thinks I tore something last year and it didn’t heal right on top of breaking one or more bones in the wrist (that also didn’t heal right).

So, what I’m left with is severe pain when I do anything requiring me to bend my wrist and apply load (bench press, dips, etc) and no time horizon for it to heal. Which totally fucking sucks. I’ve got to figure out some other kind of training I can get into and not be left losing everything I’ve gained. I’m pretty universally pissed, but at the moment I’m not left with a lot of choice. 5/3/1 is apparently on hold for me.