Nobody Like Lost Here?!

[quote]whereami wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Love the show. Ending was good. Can’t say they fucked it up.

Spoiler Alert

How is it that Jack went down the cave hole and didn’t come out a Smoke Monster like “Locke”. Silly writers[/quote]

Probably because the stone plug thing was out when Jack went down, preventing the electromagnetic energy from killing him (at least initially). And because MIB was evil and Jack was good.[/quote]
bingo

Fuck Lost.

I watched the first few seasons, and then it started getting weird and retarded during Season 3 and I stopped watching.

Yesterday I watched the finale a bit with my mom as she explained things to me. Apparently, Locke is now the Smokemonster… wtf?

Yeah, fuck Lost. Sounds like the creators of the show didn’t have an end-game plan that would make any sense, so they had to come up with some stupid shit to end the show.

Hmm. I felt like I got it. Thought it was a pretty good finish, actually.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Did they ever explain what the big deal about Walt was? I watched all the episodes but I may have missed it.[/quote]

Unfortunately, no. That’s one of the questions I really wish they would have answered.

there are quite a few websites that explain basically what was going on. But they left a lot of stuff open for interpretation. I thought the season finale was good. I’m bummed though that there wont be anymore Lost cause this season was so legit and action packed.

.greg.

The final episode was a piece of garbage.

I’ve been watching the show since season one, and I specifically remembered deciding to continue watching after the writers explicitly stated around that time they won’t use the worn out “purgatory” or “afterlife” solutions.

I guess they had to end the show, and it is depressing how everything changed (for the worst) in the sixth season. Especially since no plot twists from the end of the fifth season were not explained, just replaced with one gimmick (“sideways” timeline) to end the story.

You can almost feel the desperation in the plot line kicking in: “Fuck, only four episodes to go and we still haven’t killed off all the secondary characters and some of the major ones”.

Instead of dealing with the mysteries of the island, we got a cheesy “source of life” theme, straight out of Star Trek: Voyager.

I liked the ending. I think te island was a place where the characters were brought to be tested. They could make it to heaven or hell.

I also think Jacob intervened and worked to bring them to the island before otherwise they would commit suicide IRL

kate = would kill herself in prison after being caught
sawyer = would kill himself after he couldnt handle the guilt of killing the wrong man
hurley = his obesity
sun = couldnt handle that she thought her husband was a killer
jin = couldnt live with himself after sun killed herself
desmond = foolishly raced around the world and died in the process
jack = his wife left him and his dad died so he ended it
charley = od on heroin
juliette = after that scientist got hit by a bus in front of her she couldnt live with herself
locke = killed himself after being denied the walkabout
Claire = couldnt handle the pressure of being pregnant
michael = after his wife left him and got custody of walt he killed himself

they were “Lost” because they were going to take their own lives or go on paths such ad morbid obesity that would lead to their own deaths and a life in hell.

Just my theory - haters gon hate

Incredibly disappointed to see the Man in Black/ Fake Locke’s arc ending with a bullet wound to the back. Where was his redemption, his epiphany? They built him up so much; a character that is thousands of years old and then they kill him off in such a limp manner?!

[quote]whereami wrote:

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Dude, [i]nothing[/i] made sense P L U S they pulled the cheesy “it’s just dream”.
[/quote]

It wasn’t just a dream.[/quote]

I didn’t say that.
There is a technique in storytelling that goes like this, and it’s been mostly lame for some decades now:
various shit happens but in the end, it’s not a big deal, cause it was a dream/ a big misunderstanding/ the afterlife etc. Everything is restored and thus, a very quick “happy end” can occur.

The only difference is here, Lost urinates on your face and tells you it’s meaningful.

Sure, there are powerful ways to use that theme (e.g. Jacob’s Ladder). And it’s not to be confused with a (shortstory-like) twist as in, for example “sixth sense”.

Lost is not on that list simply because

1. the end makes no sense, whole major plots have lost their meaning if the characters are dead (I assume, since the a-bomb detonation, doubting the whole series makes even less sense if that is even possible) or quasi dead.
  2. a gazillion of plots AND
  3. the whole background are still not explained. At all. The story with the two brothers is so dumb on sooooo many levels and it leaves even more holes open.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]whereami wrote:

Spoiler Alert

How is it that Jack went down the cave hole and didn’t come out a Smoke Monster like “Locke”. Silly writers[/quote]

Probably because the stone plug thing was out when Jack went down, preventing the electromagnetic energy from killing him (at least initially). And because MIB was evil and Jack was good.[/quote]
bingo
[/quote]

err, nope.
At the time of the “across the sea” episode, they probably had no clue how the inner cave looked like.
And: It would have been impossible for the black dude to do more then fall into the cave and rot there.
Also, how is the young black guy evil again?
Right, he isn’t, AT ALL.
I don’t know which gods of murder you worship, but the only things done on the island prior to the transformation one should consider evil (you know, killing a woman, stealing and lying to the children, killing a whole village) were done by the psycho bitch with mysterious superpowers.
Since we have NO evidence at all that she’s not batshit crazy, we can pretty much disregard what she said about “protecting the light”.

So after the guy fell into the cave, beaten half-dead by his brother, being robbed of his humanity by the witch’s heir, her brainwashed, adopted son, I cannot see why he shouldn’t be pissed.
Later on, all he cares for is getting of the island.
Why he kills some people (for instance the group in the sub) is not explained, but it is implied he has a reason. Of course the authors wouldn’t tell us. And if it’s all a pseudo-afterlife, I’m not even sure if killing people would be inherintly wrong.

So no, just someone repeating “he’s evil, and he’s good” is not valid, moralic reasoning.

And I know, he’s clad in black. Still doesn’t matter.

The bomb didn’t kill them. Jack really did die from the knife wound. Those who got off the island died from whatever causes through the course of their off island lives. Or, they might have creashed in the ocean, who knows. Hurley and Ben could’ve died 1000 years later, once they’d have found their own replacements as protectors. Basically, the island was real. The deaths and the escapes were real.

Sideways was simply them moving to come together once each one had died. A purgatory like existence that allowed each one to find some closure, make ammends, whatever. And it wouldn’t have mattered if one had died in 2008 in the real world, and the other in 3008. Their purgatory existed outside of time.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

Sideways was simply them moving to come together once each one had died. A purgatory like existence that allowed each one to find some closure, make ammends, whatever. And it wouldn’t have mattered if one had died in 2008 in the real world, and the other in 3008. Their purgatory existed outside of time.[/quote]

^My thoughts exactly.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]whereami wrote:

Spoiler Alert

bingo
[/quote]

err, nope.
At the time of the “across the sea” episode, they probably had no clue how the inner cave looked like.
And: It would have been impossible for the black dude to do more then fall into the cave and rot there.
Right, he isn’t, AT ALL.
I don’t know which gods of murder you worship, but the only things done on the island prior to the transformation one should consider evil (you know, killing a woman, stealing and lying to the children, killing a whole village) were done by the psycho bitch with mysterious superpowers.
Since we have NO evidence at all that she’s not batshit crazy, we can pretty much disregard what she said about “protecting the light”.

So after the guy fell into the cave, beaten half-dead by his brother, being robbed of his humanity by the witch’s heir, her brainwashed, adopted son, I cannot see why he shouldn’t be pissed.
Why he kills some people (for instance the group in the sub) is not explained, but it is implied he has a reason. Of course the authors wouldn’t tell us. And if it’s all a pseudo-afterlife, I’m not even sure if killing people would be inherintly wrong.

So no, just someone repeating “he’s evil, and he’s good” is not valid, moralic reasoning.

[/quote]

Exactly! I agree. Prior to Jacob beating the shit out of him and throwing him down the cave, the only “bad” thing he’d done was killed a genopsycho bitch. Good for him.

And this is the reason that his anti-climactic death bothered me. Ben gets a redemption, yet the man in black doesn’t? He was imprisoned for a good 2000 years by his brother’s rules. He just wanted out. It is all he ever wanted.

If we were in the same situation - stuck on a rock for two millenia with nothing to do - and we weren’t allowed to go home, we’d kill a few people to do it, I’m sure.

[quote]gregron wrote:
there are quite a few websites that explain basically what was going on. But they left a lot of stuff open for interpretation. I thought the season finale was good. I’m bummed though that there wont be anymore Lost cause this season was so legit and action packed.

.greg.[/quote]

Links?

[quote]celtics2022 wrote:
I liked the ending. I think te island was a place where the characters were brought to be tested. They could make it to heaven or hell.

I also think Jacob intervened and worked to bring them to the island before otherwise they would commit suicide IRL

kate = would kill herself in prison after being caught
sawyer = would kill himself after he couldnt handle the guilt of killing the wrong man
hurley = his obesity
sun = couldnt handle that she thought her husband was a killer
jin = couldnt live with himself after sun killed herself
desmond = foolishly raced around the world and died in the process
jack = his wife left him and his dad died so he ended it
charley = od on heroin
juliette = after that scientist got hit by a bus in front of her she couldnt live with herself
locke = killed himself after being denied the walkabout
Claire = couldnt handle the pressure of being pregnant
michael = after his wife left him and got custody of walt he killed himself

they were “Lost” because they were going to take their own lives or go on paths such ad morbid obesity that would lead to their own deaths and a life in hell.

Just my theory - haters gon hate[/quote]

This is actually a pretty interesting interpretation.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
The bomb didn’t kill them. Jack really did die from the knife wound. Those who got off the island died from whatever causes through the course of their off island lives. Or, they might have creashed in the ocean, who knows. Hurley and Ben could’ve died 1000 years later, once they’d have found their own replacements as protectors. Basically, the island was real. The deaths and the escapes were real.

Sideways was simply them moving to come together once each one had died. A purgatory like existence that allowed each one to find some closure, make ammends, whatever. And it wouldn’t have mattered if one had died in 2008 in the real world, and the other in 3008. Their purgatory existed outside of time.[/quote]

This makes no sense for the following reasons:

First of all, they spend half of the season showing them how they spend their afterlife?
What is the reason for the show besides telling us they find “happiness”? Sounds like a superretard-happyend deluxe. Half of the show wasted- which could have been used to tell us what the fuck is going on.

Then, why ignoring what happened since the crash? This parallel universe had the distinct feature of being crashless only to confuse the viewers? Sounds great, mysteries for it’s own sake.

Desmond’s mission was a crucial plot in the season. Turns out his mission had no impact on the whole “save the island”, instead all he did was manipulating lives to bring them “happiness” in an alternative dimension where memories were erased and he had superpowers. And what did he do, for instance, to bring Kate or Sayid happiness? He reunited them with the group and selected a blonde lover for Sayid- sounds like a perfect afterlife?

It makes no sense.
And we could go on and one here, not even touching the fucked up and abandoned main plots…

How was it Jacob could get off the Island and “touch” these people?

[/quote]

Maybe it doesn’t make sense to you, but I’m just pointing out that the island and the events were real, while Sideways life was a form of purgatory. I’ve seen some people confusing the Island as having been a dream, or something.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

First of all, they spend half of the season showing them how they spend their afterlife?
What is the reason for the show besides telling us they find “happiness”? Sounds like a superretard-happyend deluxe. Half of the show wasted- which could have been used to tell us what the fuck is going on.

Then, why ignoring what happened since the crash? This parallel universe had the distinct feature of being crashless only to confuse the viewers? Sounds great, mysteries for it’s own sake.

Desmond’s mission was a crucial plot in the season. Turns out his mission had no impact on the whole “save the island”, instead all he did was manipulating lives to bring them “happiness” in an alternative dimension where memories were erased and he had superpowers. And what did he do, for instance, to bring Kate or Sayid happiness? He reunited them with the group and selected a blonde lover for Sayid- sounds like a perfect afterlife?

It makes no sense.
And we could go on and one here, not even touching the fucked up and abandoned main plots…[/quote]

You know, when I finished watching the episode, I loved it. Ever since that moment, the shitness of it is settling in. I feel more and more cheated, the more I think about it. SO many plot points with greater impact could have been tackled but weren’t.

And they threw two million red herrings in there, just for good measure. I did enjoy Quinn and Fox’s acting - the nostalgia scenes were quite poignant but this can never take away from the fact that they basically lied to us over a good 6 seasons.

It could’ve been wrapped up in 2-3 seasons. Oh well.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:

[quote]whereami wrote:

Spoiler Alert

bingo
[/quote]

err, nope.
Right, he isn’t, AT ALL.

[/quote]

He was “evil incarnate.” You can’t really get much more evil than that.