No Weight Training ?'s

Hello all, new to the forums.
let me drop some background.
Ive been boxing for a few years, and do little weight training. I usually do triceps, biceps, shoulder from sides up, and “arnold” presses. The rest of my workout is i do about 300-500 sit-up type exercises a day, using 25 reps in a set, vary each set, using 25 lb on my chest for 50 of the total, and i do pull-ups + push-ups.

I am wondering what workouts would you reccommend me doing to help me get more definition and larger muscles, I do not want to look like the people on the left of the screen, but want mainly am aiming for a more toned body in general. Do i need to go register for a gym and use the machines, or can i get by with simple weights, like maybe the bowflex barbells.

I have a bench, and a press bar that i do not use too often, I hear a lot about dead lifts, I don’t know where i should start on an entire workout plan.

[quote]knockoutjm wrote:
Hello all, new to the forums.
let me drop some background.
Ive been boxing for a few years, and do little weight training. I usually do triceps, biceps, shoulder from sides up, and “arnold” presses. The rest of my workout is i do about 300-500 sit-up type exercises a day, using 25 reps in a set, vary each set, using 25 lb on my chest for 50 of the total, and i do pull-ups + push-ups.

I am wondering what workouts would you reccommend me doing to help me get more definition and larger muscles, I do not want to look like the people on the left of the screen, but want mainly am aiming for a more toned body in general. Do i need to go register for a gym and use the machines, or can i get by with simple weights, like maybe the bowflex barbells.

I have a bench, and a press bar that i do not use too often, I hear a lot about dead lifts, I don’t know where i should start on an entire workout plan.

[/quote]

Tie some of your plates to you when you do your pullups. Switch to lower reps with higher weights. Switch from high rep pushups to low rep one-arm pushups.

Drop the situps. Start at least training your deadlift and squat forms with the bar you have.

For actual program structure, look around the site, there are plenty. A 10x3 type system with some of the above mentioned lifts will get you started. If you are still boxing, check out Ross Enamaits stuff, www.rosstraining.com, he has some very good programs that will “tone” you up with little in the way of equipment.

Most of all, clean up your diet if it is not already!

I highly recommend clicking this link:

…and reading the sticky threads at the top - “New to T-Nation”, and the “Are You A Beginner II” thread. These will definitely point you in the right direction.

Ross Enemait is also a good direction based on what you’ve stated above. However even before you get into Ross’ stuff, read those two threads.