No Weight Loss and I've Been Good

Just curious if its age(26) or bad luck. This wk ive ate pretty much 90% cleaner, cut down on bread,no white potatoes, ive cut my drinkin back to less than 5 drinks a night, gave up fried food for the most part(fries etc), i know ive cut my daily intake of calories by atleast 1,000 and my carbs in half and ive lifted hard(no cardio) and havent lost any freaking weight… I thought by cutting just my alcohol down id lose atleast a couple this wk… damn… I go from 284 to 287 every other morning. Ive drank half a gallon of water atleast everyday this wk as well…

My only suggestion would be to keep an exact food log with calorie/macro counts. If you’re trying to cut, that’s the best way to monitor progress and see where adjustments need to be made. A lot of people like using Fit Day or you can make up a spreadsheet yourself.

[quote]MrEdofCourse wrote:
Just curious if its age(26) or bad luck. This wk ive ate pretty much 90% cleaner, cut down on bread,no white potatoes, ive cut my drinkin back to less than 5 drinks a night, gave up fried food for the most part(fries etc), i know ive cut my daily intake of calories by atleast 1,000 and my carbs in half and ive lifted hard(no cardio) and havent lost any freaking weight… I thought by cutting just my alcohol down id lose atleast a couple this wk… damn… I go from 284 to 287 every other morning. Ive drank half a gallon of water atleast everyday this wk as well…[/quote]

If 90% clean isn’t working, then your answer might just be to eat cleaner.

less than 5 drinks a night[/quote]

Uhmm, your body is physically incapable of burning fat while metabolizing alcohol. It’s a survival thing, alcohol being a metabolic poison and all.

Just curious if its age(26) or bad luck. This wk ive ate pretty much 90% cleaner, cut down on bread,no white potatoes, ive cut my drinkin back to less than 5 drinks a night, gave up fried food for the most part(fries etc), i know ive cut my daily intake of calories by atleast 1,000 and my carbs in half and ive lifted hard(no cardio) and havent lost any freaking weight… I thought by cutting just my alcohol down id lose atleast a couple this wk… damn… I go from 284 to 287 every other morning. Ive drank half a gallon of water atleast everyday this wk as well…[/quote]

I mean to sound crass, but dude, are you for real man?

• Okay… so what are you eating?
  • 5 drinks a night!? This should be 5 drinks a month, at the very least. It’s more or less common knowledge that drinking is probably one of the dumbest things you can do on a diet.

I’m seriously very perplexed by this. Are you an alcoholic? (Serious question, and if you’re saying no I think you may need to do some soul searching.)

• Why not for the whole part?

How does half-ass diet + no cardio = weight loss? There’s just no athlete, bodybuilder, or person who regularly eats healthy who can lose any amount of significant weight without cardio.

I’m hoping that your post came off sounding really bad, but wow man. I think you need to re-asses your commitment to either the diet or your lifestyle choices that go along with it if you’re serious about it. I can assume you’re an experienced lifter at 285, unless you’re just obese or tall. what scares me is that the inquiries you’re making are kingergarten-level questions with any kind of “health” lifestyles.

EDIT: Unless you’re a troll. Fantastic job if so.

Are you able to cut the alcohol down to a more conservative amount than 5 alcoholic drinks? Something along the lines of 0 would probably be better (if for any reason you say you actually cannot do that, you may have a bigger problem on your hands than losing weight).

Start doing cardio if you want to lose weight. I know it’s going to feel like shit at first just because of your weight, but cardio is essential. It not only burns calories on the elliptical (I suggest an elliptical, not a treadmill), but it raises your basal metabolic rate for the entire day.

Age is not a factor. 26 is as young as you can be. There’s approximately ~4000 calories that need to be burned for every pound of fat you lose. Keep that in mind. This is a long road, don’t think on a weekly bases, but think monthly, or every 3 months. Sleep well, eat properly, keep macronutrient/calorie counts, cut the alcohol out completely (alcohol has a lot of calories, 7 per gram. 1 ounce of 40% scotch=(28g X 0.4 X 7 calories). Shit adds up quick. There’s many more calories if your drink of choice is beer, or if you add soft drinks to it.

Cardio, cardio, cardio. It won’t feel good at first but you’ll get used to it.

Also it should be “cut down on potatoes, no white bread.” Less processed foods=better fat loss, a long with all the other tips you received.

It’s not gonna happen right off the bat. Progress isn’t linear. I know you think by changing your diet so drastically, you thought something would certainly change. Your body isn’t gonna start any radical changes that soon. Don’t get me wrong, you’re on the right track. After one month of steady dedication you will certainly see a change in not only your body composition, but energy and mood as well. Just remember it takes a while to get used to a new lifestyle and your body doesn’t know what your plans are. It’s still trying to fight off all the poisons you been ingesting and metabolize the junk you’ve ate. Once it realizes good nutrition and less poison is coming in, combined with exercise it will act accordingly.

Just don’t stop your new found motivation because you haven’t noticed instant results. Good Luck.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
Also it should be “cut down on potatoes, no white bread.” Less processed foods=better fat loss, a long with all the other tips you received.[/quote]

How are potatoes “processed?”

WTF? 5 drinks a night? If you’re serious about losing weight, you wouldn’t be drinking any.

Also only half a gallon of water? Try a gallon.

Very good replies, i needed to hear alot of that, even the harsh shit “SSC” I agree these are kindergarten questions and i could have answered them myself but i needed to be told what i already knew. Weird yes, but its a reassurance kinda thing.

On the alcoholic subject, it really depends on what book u read or your opinion. I consider myself as not, but ppl will look at 5 drinks a declare i have a drinking problem. If i got hammered on a nightly basis it would be different, i get hammered once a wk,a and pay dearly for it the next day.

And I didnt mean to come off like i was cutting or anything,(i could careless about being ripped up etc) Hell im just tryin to lose bout 20lbs so my damn knees, ankles and feet quit aching. Im 6’4" and only carry the wt in my belly. ideally id like to get around 260.

Again thanks for the replies, the bread is a hard thing to completely give up, i can literally eat a 20oz steak w green beans and if there is no bread involved ill be starving a hr later.

It’s not just about being an alcoholic or having an addiction problem. How long have you been living this lifestyle? What was your daily alcohol intake before you cut down to 5/day and how long of a period have you been drinking like this?

The amount, 5/day and getting hammered once a week, is MORE THAN ENOUGH. I will repeat that, it is MORE THAN ENOUGH to seriously damage your liver. Combine that with your height and weight, your liver probably already has a higher than normal metabolic load to deal with. You may already have fatty liver and not know it. You may have worse. You need to get bloodwork done.

You don’t want to be on the transplant list for a liver when you are 28. P.s. if they know why your liver failed, and what lifestyle you were leading and may continue to lead, the transplant board may be very hesitant to give you a beautiful healthy liver in the event you need one.

I’m not trying to scare you, but health comes first. With your weight and lifestyle description, it sounds as if you could also have moderate to severe hypertension and a very high resting heart rate (in the 95-100 range).

Go to your doctor, and don’t be afraid to ask him any questions you may be embarrassed about.

Well joey a couple months ago i was drinking between 5-10+ drinks a night, ive been drinking heavy for the last 5 yrs of my life(college included).
I do get blood work done every 6 months because as you assumed i have hypertension, but its not because of weight, have had high BP since senior yr when i was 200lbs playing basketball 7 days a wk.(I take medicine for it) My cardiologist thinks i have an over active adrenaline gland. I had more mri my senior yr than most ppl will in a lifetime. My liver values are always in the normal value range as well. Anyways im pretty healthy except for the extra 25lbs doc says i need to lose.

I appreciate the concerns Joey

I’ve got a brain buster for you. Did it occur to you that perhaps even though you’ve employed a “better” lifestyle and dietary habits that you’re still not in a deficit of energy on a day to day basis??? Drop the alcohol if you’re serious.

If you’re serious, you need to figure out your maintenance calories, pretty easy to do since you haven’t been losing any weight, just make a log of what you’ve been consuming on average and figure out how many calories that is. Now here comes the mind blowing part…eat less than that on a daily basis. Also, stop using bullshit words like clean eating. That means something different from person to person.

You aren’t going to lose fat drinking 5 alcoholic drinks a day, period.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
You aren’t going to lose fat drinking 5 alcoholic drinks a day, period.[/quote]

I quote

No. NO. “Good” ain’t got shit to do with changing yourself.

Five drinks a night will stop you from losing weight. PERIOD.

“90% clean,” my ass. Unless you have a solid breakdown of your nutritional intake, and I’m talking about grams of carb, fat, protein, then you are eating at best half-clean. No argument here. I guarantee that.

Hell man, “I’ve been good” is what a female client says when she’s about to tell me with a Cheshire Cat grin she was also “bad,” and ate a fucking Sarah Lee cheese cake by herself, and went out clubbing all weekend, and she can’t feel too bad about not losing weight, but oh my gawd I didn’t think I deserved to gain weight Vash what’s wrong withmydietohmygaaaawwwdI’mgonnadie!!!". Get a better fucking tampon and buckle down on this work.

You want to lose weight? Want your ankles, knees, back to stop hurting so damn much?

Then do what you need to do to get it done. Or, don’t. That way, you just have to live with the pain, as well as the knowledge that you could’ve changed your health and your physique for the better, added happy years to your life, and been able to look down at your dick without straining your neck, and all the shame that comes with that.

So you haven’t lost weight and haven’t gained weight?

I’ll play devil’s advocate for a moment and give you the benefit of the doubt. Is there any chance your body composition might have improved? You say you’ve been training hard and you have at least made some changes to your diet.

Maybe post a picture of yourself with a shoe so that everyone can see what your bodyfat % is like…

On the alcoholic subject, it really depends on what book u read or your opinion. I consider myself as not, but ppl will look at 5 drinks a declare i have a drinking problem. If i got hammered on a nightly basis it would be different, i get hammered once a wk,a and pay dearly for it the next day.

Again thanks for the replies, the bread is a hard thing to completely give up, i can literally eat a 20oz steak w green beans and if there is no bread involved ill be starving a hr later.[/quote]

It doesn’t matter how different books describe what constitutes a drinking problem, the point is that alcohol is a problem when you want to lose weight, period. You have to know that, right?

And seriously, I doubt that you’re starving for bread after eating all that, its just a craving that you give into. If you’re concerned that you’re not getting enough carbs or something, fuck the bread and eat some brown rice or more veggies, or some beans. Anything but bread.

I’m not trying to sound like a prick, but your doctor says you need to lose weight, and you say that you’re trying, so take everyone’s advice and try harder. Give up the booze and bread for a week, do some friggin’ cardio and then see if you see results. Then if you don’t lose weight you can at least say that you tried our advice that you’re asking for.

Thanks everyone for being so honest. It takes a little punishment for me to get the idea. As far has Bf goes, i took 6months off prior to goin to the doc last sept, and @ 280 i was 28% according the the handheld device, ive never been flabby fat, but like i said ive got a gut, not huge but i do have to “strain my neck” to see my man down stairs. Im thicker and more dense (arms,chest shoulders,thighs are all bigger in measurements than ever before) Ive been lifting regular for the last 6 months, and im stronger. I lift 4 days a wk on the 5/3/1 program. Cardio I will start this wk as well, ill actually be playing basketball twice this wk for a couple hours.

Thanks again for the replies, this big dummy needs it straight forward.