T Nation

No Upper Body Strength After 20-Rep Squats


#1

Every time I finish my squats, I am so wiped out that all my upper body work afterwards goes to chit.
I just have no strength afterwards.
Should I do my primary upper body lift (bench or OHP) 1st before I do my 20 rep squats?


#2

Why the fuck do you have a primary upper body lift with 20 rep squats?


#3

[quote]magick wrote:
Why the fuck do you have a primary upper body lift with 20 rep squats?[/quote]
Are you even familiar with the 20 rep squat program? Google it


#4

[quote]magick wrote:
Why the fuck do you have a primary upper body lift with 20 rep squats?[/quote]
I mean honestly, I have to train upper body too right? You can’t just do squats and leave the gym and never train upper body. Especially not since I’m a powerlifter


#5

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
Should I do my primary upper body lift (bench or OHP) 1st before I do my 20 rep squats?[/quote]

Yes, you absolutely should. Quite a few programs arrange the exercises in this manner. After doing 20 rep squats, you’re either done or you didn’t push yourself.


#6

In the past I have tried training upper body on the other “off” days. So you will be training 5-6 days per week. I would hit a couple sets of RDLs or GHDs and some abdominal work after my 20 repper since that was all I was doing.


#7

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:
Why the fuck do you have a primary upper body lift with 20 rep squats?[/quote]
I mean honestly, I have to train upper body too right? You can’t just do squats and leave the gym and never train upper body. Especially not since I’m a powerlifter[/quote]

20 rep squats are going to drain you, assuming you’re pushing yourself.

You have really a few choices:

1.)Do bench work shortly after, and suffer the consequences. You’ll eventually adapt. Probably.

2.)Wait a longer period of time (later that day, the next day, whatever) to rest, then bench.

3.) Bench first.

Pick one. I prefer 2.


#8

Your central nervous system can only handle a certain amount of load before it needs a break, as well as other processes that occur with exercise in the body. Deadlifts and Squats are one of the most taxing on your entire system.


#9

shadowbobo8028 i have seen your accomplishments you have posted on this site, good work.
so your question really surprised me,
i tried 20 rep squats awhile back i wound up arranging my workouts so that squat day was on my day off from work and i did not plan anything else that day
i am currently hitting squats hard ,i finish work out, eat, take hot shower,2 to 3 hours later i do the rest of my workout


#10

The only other thing I do on squat day is band pullaparts in between sets. But yeah I didn’t realize most people only squat on squat day. I think that one exercise trains such a big percentage of your muscles that it’s fine alone.


#11

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:
The only other thing I do on squat day is band pullaparts in between sets. But yeah I didn’t realize most people only squat on squat day. I think that one exercise trains such a big percentage of your muscles that it’s fine alone.[/quote]

[quote]ShadowBob8028 wrote:
Are you even familiar with the 20 rep squat program? Google it
[/quote]


#12

I always did my pressing exercise first, then the squats, then the pull overs, and then, after a long break, my pulling exercise.

I ran the abbreviated program, so something like

Bench
2x12

Squats
1x20

Pull overs
1x20

Rows
2x15

But doing squats last is always a great option. Means you can really give it everything you’ve got.


#13

I never did my 20 rep squatting on anything other than a pure “leg” day, but if I were to hazard some input, I would say that assuming you want to do squats prior to your upper body work, you should do any leg assistance work (or add in some leg assistance work) after your squatting. If you were doing something like hamstring curls, it would allow (1) your CNS a bit of a break and (2) your upper body, esp your upper back, the chance to recover.

Esp considering that you are a powerlifter, I would imagine that a lot of the power drain you are experiencing is more upper back/lats-specific than just a general fatigue, insofar as the upper back is so critical to squatting integrity.


#14

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
Every time I finish my squats, I am so wiped out that all my upper body work afterwards goes to chit.
I just have no strength afterwards.
Should I do my primary upper body lift (bench or OHP) 1st before I do my 20 rep squats?[/quote]

Are you doing 25# 20 rep breathing db pullovers after the squats? They used to talk about ribcage expansion from them, which we now know isn’t very likely. But, they are really good at helping you recover from the sqauts.


#15

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
Every time I finish my squats, I am so wiped out that all my upper body work afterwards goes to chit.[/quote]
When you say “all my upper body work”, exactly what else are you trying to do on that day? What exercises, sets, and reps.

Are you doing the 20 rep work 3 days a week?

Also, silly little question, but how long do you plan to do the 20 rep squats and what’s your particular goal for that time period?


#16

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
Every time I finish my squats, I am so wiped out that all my upper body work afterwards goes to chit.
I just have no strength afterwards.
Should I do my primary upper body lift (bench or OHP) 1st before I do my 20 rep squats?[/quote]

You should be wiped out after your 20 reps. The original program has you do 20 rep pullovers (light) right after you rack the bar from your 20 reps. Take a few minutes to recover after that, peel yourself off the floor , drink some recovery drink, then do a light upper body- sets of 10 press, row , bench. - take a nap - eat - Eastcoast Jim


#17

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I always did my pressing exercise first, then the squats, then the pull overs, and then, after a long break, my pulling exercise.

I ran the abbreviated program, so something like

Bench
2x12

Squats
1x20

Pull overs
1x20

Rows
2x15

But doing squats last is always a great option. Means you can really give it everything you’ve got.[/quote]

This is your answer. I find pressing movements don’t take all that much out of squats/deadlifts but I always struggled with pressing after squatting.


#18

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:

Are you even familiar with the 20 rep squat program? Google it[/quote]

The 20 rep squat program that most people mentioned here doesn’t really have a “primary upper body lift”. It has a number of light upper body exercises.

Of course, my interpretation of “primary upper body lift” may be off. In that case, I apologize.


#19

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:
The only other thing I do on squat day is band pullaparts in between sets. But yeah I didn’t realize most people only squat on squat day. I think that one exercise trains such a big percentage of your muscles that it’s fine alone.[/quote]

[quote]ShadowBob8028 wrote:
Are you even familiar with the 20 rep squat program? Google it
[/quote][/quote]

I wasn’t talking about that program and yes, I’m very familiar.


#20

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:
The only other thing I do on squat day is band pullaparts in between sets. But yeah I didn’t realize most people only squat on squat day. I think that one exercise trains such a big percentage of your muscles that it’s fine alone.[/quote]

[quote]ShadowBob8028 wrote:
Are you even familiar with the 20 rep squat program? Google it
[/quote][/quote]

I wasn’t talking about that program and yes, I’m very familiar.[/quote]

Why would you not talk about the program the OP is asking about?