T Nation

No TV

[quote]oriensus wrote:
deanec wrote:
oriensus wrote:
am able to go to bed on time to get some quality sleep and be more productive the following day. I really much rather choose to sit in a chair and stare at the wall than watch TV.

No internet? Can I ask what technology you are using to transmit your thoughts to this message board? Can it be patented? Do you need investors? Or is it just the bosses time you are wasting now?

The bosses time I’m wasting of course. But c’mon, that’s a bit strong, I’m not really wasting anybody’s time. I’m just you know, um…wasting my own time.[/quote]

Yeah, me too :slight_smile:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I waste enough time bullshitting on the computer.[/quote]

You are merely cutting your life short with cholesterol rather than television. But really, you guys that bullsh!t on the computer all day absolutely amaze me. Don’t you have jobs?

Bastard

I haven’t got TV either, and I don’t miss it. I don’t download, so I get DVDs (either bought or from the library). I spend a lot of time on the internet, reading up my newspapers, and I listen almost constantly to BBC Radio 4, which I think is the best radio station in the world.

Makkun

I got hooked on this last summer when I literally just couldn’t watch T.V. at all and I don’t miss it.

I must clarify though, no t.v. means no television programming. I do miss sports, if I could go see live MMA, the Tri-nation cup and the soccer and world cup I would but I can’t.

I do this now for radio and newspapers (except for comics and weather) too. I’m tired of being bombared with the marketing and other bullshit.

If I could figure out how to do this with the internet and MSN messenger (damn the local teenagers for only using this as a means to communicate b/c I get the oddest looks when trying to get phone numbers but not msn address)

Thanks to Xen for pointing out this bandwagon that I’m happy to be on

I haven’t had a TV in my room since freshman year in high school (I’m in my third year in college now). Don’t miss or anything.

My girl’s parents bought me a portable dvd player last year, which is pretty cool. I occasionally use it to watch movies, Renegade Training dvds, and, most recently, the entire 1990s X-men cartoons (all 77 episodes). I still haven’t finished watching those, but that’s as close to TV as I’ll get.

Oh yeah, the only other time I was forced to watch commercials was for a Sociology class. I remember during class, my teacher asked “So what kind of media portrayal do you see on television? Anyone?..Antonio (that’s me) what do you think?”

ME: “Well…from what I remember of watching TV many years ago…” Haha. That was funny. Got the funniest looks during that class. Oh well. You’re not alone in the TV-less world.

-ton

I have to admit I am a tvaholic. I come home around 6pm watch sportcenter. Then I watch simpsons reruns followed by seinfeld reruns. Depending on the day it is I will play video games until from about 8-9 on mondays then watch monday night football. tuesday & Wednesday I watch nip/tuck and Over There. Then it is off to cartoon network for a little adult swim until my eyes get heavy and sleep calls.

I never used to watch this much television before I think I am stuck in a terrible routine. I do think there are quality shows out there Smallville, 24, family guy, Simpsons and such but 90% of what is on televison is trash. I do have sattelite so I watch alot of the science channel and national geographic channel. In someways Television can be like books. If you read trash like romance novels and crap like that you are not really feeding your brain. If you have a television and all you watch is PBS or Discovery Channel you are feeding your brain.

I personally feel I have to cut down my television watching and focus more on hobbies and things of that nature. Its a uphill battle but I think I got a shot.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I’m with holifila on this one…

My TV is (in no particlar order):

a) A tool (yes, for education).

b) An excellent “Window to the World” (especially News, etc.) and

c) A source of entertainment.

Sometimes after a long day at work…I don’t want to be preached to, or “edified” or anything else but take my shoes off, take a shower and be entertained.

If you watch garbage, that’s what you’ll get…but between Sattelite and Cable…and yes, the major networks… the quality is out there for the asking.

Mufasa [/quote]

I agree!

TV isn’t “bad” for you. It is what you make of it. Sometimes it’s cool just to space out in front of it, sometimes there is great info on it, and sports is always cool.

I know you want to make it look cool not to watch, but there exists no harm in watching an hour or two of TV whenever the hell you feel like doing just that.

As far as parenting, yes guidelines should be in place. Limited time as well as content is in order. That said, my little Sam isn’t any worse for wear because he watches Thomas the Train on Saturday a.m. Hell he’s just 5 and he enjoys a great Badger game with me, like the ass pounding they gave Michigan just the other day!

Moderation men, moderation.

I’m with you Xen. Especially where I live, they steal the satellite signal then boost to other peoples houses. Call themselves the “cable company”.

Anyway, they made a fuss one day about something and were gonna turn off my cable. I paid up my bill and I said fine, turn it off. I dont want it.

I had it off for 4 months or more! I thought it was wonderfull and use to preach about the benefits.

Then my overbearing inlaws thought it be a wonderfull idea to turn it back on for us. Despite them knowing I was against it.

Now my woman just sits there all day watching useless fuckin TV again. I really hate it. Sad part is… after 3 weeks or bitching, I get pulled into it cause… ya know… we both sleep in the same bedroom.

Dont know what the hell to do now.

T-Islander

I use my TV to work on dexterity in my right thumb.

It goes like this:

Pick up remote.
Turn TV on.
Flip through all 300 channels (Dish Everything)
Determine nothing is on that I’d like to watch.
Turn TV off.
Read book.

I send Dish $100 per month because I think they’re really nice people and, even though they have nothing to offer, they really need my money more than I do.

I recently upgraded to the DVR option so now I can do this:

Turn TV on.
Determine nothing is on that I’d like to watch or record to DVR.
Turn TV off.
Read book.

See how much better that is?

Occasionally, I do this:
Find something to DVR because the title is interesting.

• later -
    Watch first 15 seconds of DVR’d show determine it isn’t worth watching.
    Turn TV off.
    Read book.

RB

[quote]holifila wrote:
HOw can you complain about 24’s problems and love CSI? In the only episode of CSI that I have seen the main character (I have no idea what his name is), a crime scene investigator, interogated suspects in an airport!
[/quote]
If it’s the episode I’m thinking about, the person could’ve been a suspect or a witness, arrested or not, and no one plead the fifth. Otherwise, the communication was voluntary. I admit, they do glamourize stuff excessively (“Now, do a shot from the coke can’s point of view.”), and they do portray PCR, CE, LC/GC, MS, and other techniques as two minute procedures (usually with cutscenes). But, I’ve used every one of those techniques and to televise it at length would quickly get boring. And, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Jack Bauer’s heart stop in hour 12 or 14 of one season and he was revived and “toughed it out” for the rest of the day? Come on.

BTW- The character’s name is Gil Grissom.

[quote]
Comedy:
The Office (not as good as the BBC version but still funny)
My name is Earl (the first 2 eps were awesome)
Everybody hates Chris (finally the UPN has a decent sitcom, for years they have been trying to appeal to blacks with bad shows about black people, finallly they just concentrate on making a good show)

Drama:
Lost
House (Laurie is fun to watch)
Veronica Mars (the best ‘hour of mystery’ show on now)

There you go, 6 shows that entertain and will not lead to the rotting of your brain.[/quote]

Dude, don’t get me wrong, I like the shows you mentioned (haven’t seen Veronica Mars), but if you think ‘My Name Is Earl’ and ‘Lost’ aren’t rotting your brain, you need to seriously evaluate your definition of rotting.

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
You are merely cutting your life short with cholesterol rather than television. But really, you guys that bullsh!t on the computer all day absolutely amaze me. Don’t you have jobs?

Bastard [/quote]

Yeah, it involves long hours of hurrying up and waiting. I’m pretty sure Prof.'s the same way. And besides, when you’re the best at your job, it shouldn’t take you very long. :slight_smile:

[quote]T-Islander wrote:
I’m with you Xen. Especially where I live, they steal the satellite signal then boost to other peoples houses. Call themselves the “cable company”.

Anyway, they made a fuss one day about something and were gonna turn off my cable. I paid up my bill and I said fine, turn it off. I dont want it.

I had it off for 4 months or more! I thought it was wonderfull and use to preach about the benefits.

Then my overbearing inlaws thought it be a wonderfull idea to turn it back on for us. Despite them knowing I was against it.

Now my woman just sits there all day watching useless fuckin TV again. I really hate it. Sad part is… after 3 weeks or bitching, I get pulled into it cause… ya know… we both sleep in the same bedroom.

Dont know what the hell to do now.

T-Islander[/quote]

I’m with you there, I haven’t watched a full episode of the Bachelor or Bachelorette, but I have seen way too much of it (my wife watched every season). I can offer a little help, pick the show you like the least and plan your workout, meal preparation, etc. right for that time. It at least gets you out of the worst of it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I never watched Nip Tuck until they sold it on DVD. I may watch some games on tv, but overall, when people ask me what’s on, I just don’t know. I do watch the news stations more than anything lately if I don’t have a dvd in.

I do hate that I missed the season premier of Lost because I really like that show (the writers are off the chain), but I am at the point where I would rather have the freedom of watching a whole season whenever I have the time with no commercials (for the record, Lost is the closest thing to a movie on tv).

Maybe I just need Tivo.[/quote]

Do you consider Nip/Tuck to be ‘quality TV’ or smut? People here seem to like it and I’ve heard buzz elsewhere, but not having watched it, it just seemed like smut. I ask because (to me) it seemed out of character for you. Not being judgemental, just wondering if the DVDs are worth owning/watching.

You boys are lucky you are in the States and actually have TV to watch. TV in Australia sucks the sweat off donkey balls!!!

My TV is limited to the following:

Lost - which has finished for the season over here

Alias - Double episodes at the moment

Rugby League - Grand Final this weekend, so I will be screwed after that as well

Drawn Together - This is the funniest fucking cartoon I have ever seen. If you haven’t seen this, you are missing a treat.

Occasionally, I’ll watch something educational. I like some of the history and nature shows when they have something different on.

So that is it. From next week, it would be about 3 hours a week.

We have the rating’s period over here, and what came back is that males aged 20-35 are turning off the TV in droves. The TV companies told the ratings agency that they wrong and to go back and redo the numbers.

The ratings agency did a survey of males aged between 20-35 as to why they didn’t watch TV, and the overwhelming response was “Why would we? TV is shit.”

[quote]lucasa wrote:

Dude, don’t get me wrong, I like the shows you mentioned (haven’t seen Veronica Mars), but if you think ‘My Name Is Earl’ and ‘Lost’ aren’t rotting your brain, you need to seriously evaluate your definition of rotting.[/quote]

You’re killing me Smalls (just a quote from Little Giants that I liked). I could debate TV shows until the cows come home. Veronica Mars season 1 comes out on DVD on Oct. 11 ( I think ). Once you get past the teenage girl set in High school, the show is damn fun. Men and Women both seem to dig it, even Lindelof (creator/producer of Lost ) wants more people to watch it, even though it airs at the same time as Lost.

I understand everyone who likes the convience of shows on DVD, I own a few myself (can I plug Firefly here?) but usually I use my DVR and I get the same convience. By the way, what a time saver, just using a dvr cuts my TV time by 25%.

[quote]Massif wrote:
You boys are lucky you are in the States and actually have TV to watch. TV in Australia sucks the sweat off donkey balls!!!

My TV is limited to the following:

Lost - which has finished for the season over here

Alias - Double episodes at the moment

Rugby League - Grand Final this weekend, so I will be screwed after that as well

Drawn Together - This is the funniest fucking cartoon I have ever seen. If you haven’t seen this, you are missing a treat.
[/quote]

Saw “Drawn Together” for the first time the other night night. At first I was like WTF? A princess has an Octapus or rather an “Octaphir” for a vagina due to some curse, then watched it for a bit and rolled around on the floor laughing some really funny shite, definately not a cartoon for the kiddies.

Burnesy

Same boat here, I only watch the follow from TV:

• Desperate Housewives - c’mon, the wives are hot

• Veronica Mars - it’s on when I come back from training, good to watch while stretching

• Numbers - it’s on my off day. And I like Ridley Scott’s stuffs.

And we import far too much crap from Australia like Home And Away. Damn Aussies!

To be honest, if I had more time I would rather spent it on reading and sleeping.

Geek boy

[quote]lucasa wrote:

Do you consider Nip/Tuck to be ‘quality TV’ or smut? People here seem to like it and I’ve heard buzz elsewhere, but not having watched it, it just seemed like smut. I ask because (to me) it seemed out of character for you. Not being judgemental, just wondering if the DVDs are worth owning/watching.

[/quote]

Quality or smut? I honestly don’t even think like that. I like Nip/Tuck because they actually do bring up real issues of running a practice (only with EXTREME circumstances) and they actually show parts of surgery that appear close to the real thing. It isn’t my favorite show but it holds my interest because of those two factors. I like CSI because of the science angle, even though they could stand to go deeper…but I guess they might lose their core audience.

As far as “quality”, Lost is the one that I really got into. Their writers kick ass. Smallville is another one simply because I think it was the best retelling of a Superman story that could be put together. Bringing Christopher Reeves in before he died just sealed it for me.

TV is a medium. It is no better or worse than any other medium. It what you choose to watch on TV that makes the difference.

Over 99.9% of the Internet isn’t worth surfing but I have a computer.
Over 98% of books are not worth the paper they are printed on, but I have shelves full.
About 95% of music is a waste, but I have got my body-weight in Cd’s.
Most movies suck, but I have a collection that I can defend, but don’t feel the need to.
TV. Same rules. Most TV shows are bad, that is a given. But it doesn’t make you any better than someone that can figure out when it’s not worth watching.

So, read a book, lift some weights, play the guitar, watch a movie, and find a really good series. They are out there. Just don’t be lazy and look for the good ones.

That was Sandlot. This was after Smalls admited he did not know what a smore was.

I am a movie addict

Jeff