No Trap Bar

I don’t have a trap bar or dead-squat bar. I’m following the Max Muscle Layering template.

I probably missed it somewhere, but are there any modifications necessary when substituting regular deadlifts for TBDLs?

Ramp
Clusters at 90%
HDL at 60-70%

CT might have a better answer but dropping your hips low might mimic the trap bar about the best you can get. Possibly hips low or the clean style from a deficit so the starting position is more like a high squat.

So I’m going to take no answer as… just do it the same way.

My deadlifts are quite a bit like squats anyway right now, since I’ve spent far more time doing high-bar squats than deadlifting.

Thanks Rush.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
So I’m going to take no answer as… just do it the same way.

My deadlifts are quite a bit like squats anyway right now, since I’ve spent far more time doing high-bar squats than deadlifting.

Thanks Rush.[/quote]

A good option is snatch grip deadlift starting with the hips low.

But the Dead-Squat/Trap bar deadlift is one of those things you can’t really substitute.

How about the barbell log handles that are able to be plated on each end with clamps. Basically a trap bar but DB separated.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
How about the barbell log handles that are able to be plated on each end with clamps. Basically a trap bar but DB separated. [/quote]

Sure, but these are even more rare than trap bars in most gyms

I know, I’m special.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
I know, I’m special. [/quote]

Strongmen competitors do a lot of heavy “deadlifts” with their farmer’s walk loadable apparatus

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

But the Dead-Squat/Trap bar deadlift is one of those things you can’t really substitute.[/quote]

Thank you.

I’ve never used a trap bar so I really have no frame of reference. Is the additional quad stimulation the primary difference?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

But the Dead-Squat/Trap bar deadlift is one of those things you can’t really substitute.[/quote]

Thank you.

I’ve never used a trap bar so I really have no frame of reference. Is the additional quad stimulation the primary difference?[/quote]

It basically combines the advantages of the squat as far as building the legs with the advantages of the deadlift when it comes to building the traps and upper back.

It also makes the movement much more lower back friendly because the resistance is not in front of you.

dumbbell squats can be a substitute?

[quote]fighter87 wrote:
dumbbell squats can be a substitute?[/quote]

If you are weak, yes.

By that I mean that eventually the DB you have wont be heavy enough.

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

If you are weak, yes.

By that I mean that eventually the DB you have wont be heavy enough. [/quote]

thanks! i train at home so i can mount the dumbell with the weight i want

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

If you are weak, yes.

thanks! i train at home so i can mount the dumbell with the weight i want[/quote]

When you say dumbbell squats, are you referring to the ones with the DB between your legs? or the ones where you have a DB on each side?

I know my DB handles can hold at least 180lbs each.

I’ll stick to snatch-grip deadlifts for now – as awkward as they felt when I tried them last night.

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

If you are weak, yes.

thanks! i train at home so i can mount the dumbell with the weight i want[/quote]

The only thing I don’t like with DB squats is that you start too low (because the plates are smaller than 45lbs plates) and very few peoples have the leverage and mobility to maintain a proper lifting position at that height.

Would the Hammer Strength Shrug machine be a bad idea to use for legs? A few years ago I used to do this little circuit using moderate-light weight and lowering the Shrug machine seat as far down as possible…

1A. “Dead-Squat” on the shrug machine
1B. Bodyweight pushups (holding onto the shrug handles)
1C. Shrugs
1D. Remove some weight quickly and “jump squat” on the shrug machine
1E. Bentover Row with butt against the back of padding
1F. Seated tricep dip (holding onto the shrug handles)
Rest and repeat 2 more times

My gym was extremely packed so space was very limited, dumbbells we needed always being used/scattered, squat racks always occupied and using multiple machines at once was close to impossible, but I remember this circuit always made me sweat like crazy!

[quote]Basara187 wrote:
Would the Hammer Strength Shrug machine be a bad idea to use for legs? A few years ago I used to do this little circuit using moderate-light weight and lowering the Shrug machine seat as far down as possible…

1A. “Dead-Squat” on the shrug machine
1B. Bodyweight pushups (holding onto the shrug handles)
1C. Shrugs
1D. Remove some weight quickly and “jump squat” on the shrug machine
1E. Seated tricep dip (holding onto the shrug handles)
repeat 2 more times

My gym was extremely packed so space was very limited, dumbbells we needed always being used/scattered, squat racks always occupied and using multiple machines at once was close to impossible, but I remember this circuit always made me sweat like crazy![/quote]

Well… I’m a free-weight guy. To me a machine will never be able to replace a big money free weight lift regardless of how similar it is.

I know the machine you speak of and actually used it for “trap bar deads” with some clients in the past. It really doesn’t compare to the real thing even if on paper it looks similar.

Can it work? If you get enough range of motion it can work, just like any piece of equipment can work… but can it replace a trap-bar/Dead-Squat? No.

Very true, free weights are king! I try to do barbell hack squats and “Steve Reeves deadlifts” with a plate loading EZ curl bar (where my knees travel between the 2 grip areas), but I imagine the Dead-Squat bar is far superior.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

[quote]fighter87 wrote:

If you are weak, yes.

When you say dumbbell squats, are you referring to the ones with the DB between your legs? or the ones where you have a DB on each side?

I know my DB handles can hold at least 180lbs each.

I’ll stick to snatch-grip deadlifts for now – as awkward as they felt when I tried them last night.[/quote]

If anyone’s wondering, the fitness gear olympic DB handles from Dick’s can hold 230lbs.