T Nation

No Such Thing As a Stupid Question?

Do you get this question a lot from friends, family, girl/boyfriends, and the like, when you decline joining them for binging one some nutrition disaster of a meal.

You tell them “no, I’m on a strict diet” or the like and they say “Why do you bother?”. And you get that slightly superior vibe of “I could if I wanted to but it’s not worth it, so I don’t see why you do either” vibe from them.

Apparently somewhere down the line “going out to buy an ice-cream” became a social event, were it’s rude to decline a invitation, and stopped being just a choice to binge out on unhealthy “food”.

Personally I think it’s just that when you decline people became afraid that what they’re doing is wrong, and they get angry when you decline, maybe because they feel you’re judging them binging out, or because it’s harder for them to do it when they don’t feel it’s accepted, it’s easier for them to justify it if they can drag you along with them because “then you did it to so it’s okay if I do it” - basically using another person pigging out as justification for it to be ok for him or her to pig out as well.

Just something I noticed :slight_smile:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1073864

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1391083

And most importantly:

You are correct though in your headline. There is not such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.

And the whole buddy thing makes them feel better, as you stated. Misery loves company.

(Liking these cliches as an explanation to your dilemma?)

Maybe they ask you “Why bother?” because you look like a beanpole or doughnut. Since you were referring to your family and/or girlfriend…most likely, they would see you progressing on said “strict diet” over a period of time. If they’re not seeing progress, they’re going to poke and prod at you when you decline a scoop of ice cream.

Ice cream is the food of the gods.

There are indeed stupid questions. they are commonly formulated by stupid people. Some interesting examples i’ve heard recently include:

“Man, I have to piss real bad. you think I should go or just keep holding it?”

statistically speaking there are a huge number of these people about so be careful.

And yes, people that aggitate you about your nutrition plan are assholes.

-chris

I’ve been asked that exact question. It went something like this:
Girl: I mean, your skinny now, so, like, why do you not eat other stuff?
Me: …

Fortunately, this was not the girlfriend. She’s very cool about diet and training stuff. Plays along when I’d rather try cooking something than go out to dinner somewhere. Lifts herself (although, she’s not on top of the diet thing yet, but she’s a super ectomorph, way lean without trying).

I think that when someone gets asked that question it is often because their level of sacrifice is greatly disproportionate to their level of progress.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
I think that when someone gets asked that question it is often because their level of sacrifice is greatly disproportionate to their level of progress. [/quote]

Sometimes. Not always. Usually, the person asking has no clue as to what is required for a good looking body.

Or they are out of shape. They get jealous, and then try and sabotage your results to make themselves jealous.

All you can do is try to ignore the jealous ones, and make sure you doing things in the most efficient way possible.

[quote]theOUTLAW wrote:
Maybe they ask you “Why bother?” because you look like a beanpole or doughnut. Since you were referring to your family and/or girlfriend…most likely, they would see you progressing on said “strict diet” over a period of time. If they’re not seeing progress, they’re going to poke and prod at you when you decline a scoop of ice cream.
[/quote]
That might be the case with someone else, not me. My girlfriend cleary notes my more and more defined abs, she just doesn’t like it when I can’t be arsed to eat Pizza with her. As for my other friends, I’m at around 8-9% BF and going down, and I live in the cold north, so they wouldn’t see any fat-loss results unless I took my shirt off, and it’s a good 2 months before it’s that warm.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
I think that when someone gets asked that question it is often because their level of sacrifice is greatly disproportionate to their level of progress.
[/quote]

To me it seems more the opposite. People who are fat, or need to get in shape get way more support when they diet, since they are fatter than the “normal people” who give them support, but those of us who are already beyond what’s considered “in average good shape”, those of us who are at the single digit Fat % and working downwards, we get thrown the “why bother?” bullshit. Since we’re already above average when it comes to being in shape, the gains are seen as so small that “it’s not significant” it seems. I don’t think regular people like that our goal, or idea of perfect, isn’t average, and that we wouldn’t settle for what they have. We’re already in better shape than them and they don’t like that we still don’t consider that good enough.