No Squating for Legs

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Probably a form issue.

Everyones ideal form is a bit different. Unless the people you asked are in tune with how you used to squat pain free, their current assessment isn’t all that helpful as it wont pick up any minor changes that could be affecting things.

[/quote]

x2

I know what hurt me the most was the slight butt under at the bottom. Depending on how exaggerated this motion is, it may be hard for other people to see. Meaning, your form might not be solid even though others are telling you.

Wanted to add this to my above post, but was away from my actual desktop so could not.

Look at this picture, notice that the further back/posteriorly the resistance/bar is placed, the greater the torso must lean forwards to compensate for the change in center of gravity. The more torso lean, the greater the lever length is between the resistance and the hips, therefore the greater the sheering forces placed on the vertebrae and the harder the erector spinae have to work to maintain the lumber arch. In contrast, the more anteriorly/towards the front the bar,resistance is placed the more upright the torso can remain and therefore the shorter the lever and the less sheering force is placed on the vertebrae/erector spinae.

I won’t argue against the fact that a low bar squat challenges and recruits the posterior chain more than a high bar squat, because it does. But for someone who is having lower back trouble (and wants to be a bodybuilder and not a powerlifter), I’d suggest they try a squat variation that allows for a more vertical torso.

Try rear foot elevated squats with the dumbbell in the goblet position. Probably my favorite lift right now.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Wanted to add this to my above post, but was away from my actual desktop so could not.

Look at this picture, notice that the further back/posteriorly the resistance/bar is placed, the greater the torso must lean forwards to compensate for the change in center of gravity. The more torso lean, the greater the lever length is between the resistance and the hips, therefore the greater the sheering forces placed on the vertebrae and the harder the erector spinae have to work to maintain the lumber arch. In contrast, the more anteriorly/towards the front the bar,resistance is placed the more upright the torso can remain and therefore the shorter the lever and the less sheering force is placed on the vertebrae/erector spinae.

I won’t argue against the fact that a low bar squat challenges and recruits the posterior chain more than a high bar squat, because it does. But for someone who is having lower back trouble (and wants to be a bodybuilder and not a powerlifter), I’d suggest they try a squat variation that allows for a more vertical torso.[/quote]

I agree with this entirely.

If you are seeking hypertrophy and are having lower back issues, back squats regardless of the bar position or form will not work your legs to their full potential simply because your lower back will be the weak link.

IMO regardless of whether or not you are having back problems, low back/core will always be the first thing to go on back squats and that’s something I believe ought to be remembered when selecting exercises. That being said, I love back squats, do them often for legs, and have built some pretty good legs with them being my primary movement. But I do believe that if we’re talking pure leg work, particularly quads, front squats
are probably better, and leg press/hacks are going to allow you to push them even further.

I was also wondering how do you guys feel about using a belt to help relieve back strain?

IMO the belt is only useful if the lifter understands to brace their abs

I just finished doing some front squats and felt no pain or anything. I also felt in my quas way more. Definitely going to keep doing them . Thanks for the help guys.