T Nation

No Squat Rack

Just moved house, and there is a gym that is 50 meters away from my apartment.

Old style equipment, not much weight, but the dumbells are adjustable, and could hold about 80lbs of weight.

All in all pretty decent to train, back to basics kinda thing.

Only problem, no squat rack.

What do I do? Any tips on how I could get a bar “up there”?

No real alternative for another gym in my area.

What do I do?

Try Hack Squats and DB Squats

I use a pair of bench stands with bars on them, adjusted to the same height, then suspend the bar across them. Get the bar on my shoulders, take three steps back, squat. Take three steps forward and rack when done.

I also do front squats with just a pair of boxes or benches to hold the bar far enough off the floor to get under it in the “down” position. Do my squats, then unload from the “down” position when done.

[quote]ImSkinny wrote:
All in all pretty decent to train, back to basics kinda thing.

Only problem, no squat rack.

What do I do?[/quote]

Deadlift, sumo deadlift, Romanian deadlift, dumbbell deadlift/squat, barbell hack squat, goblet squat, lunge, reverse lunge, step-up… just to name a few other options.

Learn to power clean, then you can front squat.

[quote]badbrass wrote:
I use a pair of bench stands with bars on them, adjusted to the same height, then suspend the bar across them.[/quote]

I can’t imagine how management, or other lifters, are okay with you using two complete bench stations just to do squats, but if it works and you haven’t had any issues, rock on I guess.

Build your own for $50. PM me if you want exact dimensions.

[quote]badbrass wrote:
I use a pair of bench stands with bars on them, adjusted to the same height, then suspend the bar across them. Get the bar on my shoulders, take three steps back, squat. Take three steps forward and rack when done.

I also do front squats with just a pair of boxes or benches to hold the bar far enough off the floor to get under it in the “down” position. Do my squats, then unload from the “down” position when done.[/quote]

Wtf how many benches does your Gym have to allow to do that?

Guys, this is fantastic! Thanks so much.

I have a cheat/hack, because I’m short (5’7.5") - I set the rack for an adjustable bench at the highest peg, and it’s only about 2" too low to be at proper squat height. As a bonus, if I leave the bench in place, it’s perfect for box squats.

TPreuss, that looks great, and might even fit in my tiny garage.

Real men zercher.

That’s both of them. It’s the gym in the building where I work. But, I train in the middle of the afternoon when no one’s around. Sadly, after 20 years, we’re moving to a different building which has no gym at all. However, the city rec center has a weight room, with a real squat rack, so even if it’s more inconvenient, it may be a net gain. And since I just had my 50th birthday, it’s only $25/year!

[quote]Rafe.Brox wrote:
I have a cheat/hack, because I’m short (5’7.5") - I set the rack for an adjustable bench at the highest peg, and it’s only about 2" too low to be at proper squat height. As a bonus, if I leave the bench in place, it’s perfect for box squats.

TPreuss, that looks great, and might even fit in my tiny garage.[/quote]

I used to do that at my school, but they had the bench set up with these plates for your feet. I was walking the bar out, and hit the plates. Had to dump the bar, which decided it would bend permanently after that. Needless to say, I prefer squat racks. After that though, I did switch to zerchers because the head trainer wasn’t happy about the bar.

[quote]TPreuss wrote:
Build your own for $50. PM me if you want exact dimensions.[/quote]

That just ain’t gonna work with heavy weight.

Get to know the management and discuss with them your needs. You might find some other guys (or gals) in the gym that are also interested and you could lobby for equipment. You might be able to compromise and get a power cage. It may be a bigger benefit to the gym - not only allowing squats, but various presses and pullups. The fact that it may provided a degree of safety for those that do not lift with partners may also be compelling to management.

Anything that could potentially reduce injuries could also potentially reduce liability. Hey, if you are going to be a paying member, you have a right to voice your opinion and ask for the things you need to accomplish your goals.

Clean the weight, then do front squats.

[quote]Heracles_rocks wrote:
Clean the weight, then do front squats.[/quote]

Yep, clean then front squat sounds like your best bet at the moment. Combined with deadlifts should work for a pretty long time as long as your programming and other variables are on point.

I bought a used one for $400. Best money I’ve spent in a while.

[quote]TPreuss wrote:
Build your own for $50. PM me if you want exact dimensions.[/quote]

That is a badass place to squat. Looks like all hell breaks loose down there.

[quote]Heracles_rocks wrote:
Clean the weight, then do front squats.[/quote]

x3

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
TPreuss wrote:
Build your own for $50. PM me if you want exact dimensions.

That just ain’t gonna work with heavy weight.[/quote]

I’ve had 400lbs on it so far. I take the weight off when I’m not using it, but so far so good.