No Soreness?

I am a beginner 5’10" 170lbs. I am currently 8 weeks into a 10 week 5x5 program 3x per week. I squat every session and then alternate bench and overhead press, barbell rows and deadlift, Dips, Chin ups and pull ups for a total of 4 exercises per day.

Whenever I started the weight was very low (just the bar on some lifts so that I could get the form correct) and I increased by 5lbs each session.

I have finally reached a weight where squats feel like I imagine they should, the first few sets aren’t bad but the last two I can REALLY feel them. The last couple reps of my last set are pretty rough. The only problem is within a an hour or two I have no soreness, even the next day I feel like I could go do squats again.

I’ve heard other people say they are sore for days after doing a good squat session. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to change up my rep/set combo?

It sounds like you are recovering quickly. There is a lot of debate about soreness being important for hypertrophy. I always noticed the most growth when I got sore. It usually only happens right after making changes to an exercise or routine.

The only way I can guarantee to be sore is to use negatives. Once negatives stop bringing you soreness, than you know you have fully adapted to what you are doing and it’s time to seriously change things.

Stronglifts 5x5, right? I’m doing the same program and rarely notice any soreness, but as long as your lifts are still moving up, why does it matter?

The point of a beginner 5x5 program is to get stronger, not necessarily bigger (though that is often a side effect of getting stronger). Once you are a lot stronger, then you might switch to bodybuilding style training (if that’s what you’re after) and the bigger lifts will make a huge difference. You don’t have to take my word for it, but I spent 6 months on bodybuilding routines when I could only squat 135, and it was a complete waste of time. I got sore almost every workout, but rarely made any real gains.

Also, make sure your diet is good and that you’re getting enough calories. Diet is at least as important as training.

Soreness comes from making changes in your program or in making big changes in volume or intensity. It’s a sign of lack of conditioning. Stronglifts is designed to minimize soreness through conditioning and gradual, progressive weight increases. Take the prescribed time off. Soreness is not a good measure of recovery or effectiveness.

If you want to be sore just squat every week with no other leg workout in between. You will be sore but your progress will slow down.

Stu

Good points about strength. But when you consider that soreness is usually a sign that your workouts are a shock to your body, there has to be some merit to whatever caused it (other than not training frequently enough).

But it’s true, there are many ways to get sore that are totally unproductive.

If you’re looking for more information on muscle soreness, I’d recommend you look up DOMS using the search option. I wouldn’t associate DOMS with making gains. After all, if your muscles are sore, it’s a sign you shouldn’t be in the gym working them.
Moreover, you’re never going to feel sore an hour or two after your workout. You’re most likely going to have to wait at least a day.

But ultimately, you should NOT want to feel sore. In fact when I do feel sore, it’s most likely because I didn’t eat properly the day before. As long as you’re making gains, I wouldn’t worry about being sore. Trust me, it’s not something you want to aim for.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Soreness comes from making changes in your program or in making big changes in volume or intensity. It’s a sign of lack of conditioning. Stronglifts is designed to minimize soreness through conditioning and gradual, progressive weight increases. Take the prescribed time off. Soreness is not a good measure of recovery or effectiveness.

If you want to be sore just squat every week with no other leg workout in between. You will be sore but your progress will slow down.

Stu[/quote]

i wouldnt say its a lack of conditioning, although i think i know what you mean… it just means you went beyond your usual. if you pick up 25lbs of hay everyday 15 times, you’ll get used to it and be able to do it daily no problem. then if you all of a sudden grab two batches and do it 20 times, in theory you’ll get sore. challenge yourself a bit more next time if you want to put it to the test. either increase 2 - 3 reps on each set, add a set, or increase the load.