No Showers After Practice

we would shower if we had time to cool down/dry off. then my school got this new gym and put individual stalls for showers so noone cared, but prior to that the only ones who showered were the athletes bc we were all around it after practice and such.

I shower in the gym

I always use the stall with a dude already in it…so we can have sex…no one says no to sex with me.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
I don’t understand why people care so much that some kids refuse to shower naked together. I mean, the entire idea of it is preposterous – we live in a specific society where nudity is considered an intensely private thing, something to be shared with specific people, generally for intimate reasons, yet we tack showerheads to a wall in a big open room in high school and expect them to have no problem stripping.

And whoever mentioned bootcamp, did you ever go to high school? In bootcamp, you had a rigid structure, you didn’t have people sneaking cell phone pics of your wang to share to the entire unit while giggling and trying to destroy you. The inside of a high school is like an entire different world – find your place, shut your mouth, and try to survive the next 4 years, else things are going to get nasty.[/quote]

Excellent logic.

I think this made the news because there is the cultural assumption that guys have no problems with body image or taking to the extreme, since of privacy. Hell, we pee outside, right? So it is shocking to some that their assumptions were false.

I have yet to see a men’s locker facility that has shower curtains but I hear the women’s lockers do (except in movies where, well, you know…)

At my old high school (before they rebuilt it), there was an ‘open shower’ area set up right across from the gym teacher’s “office”… with only a big glass window and a hallway separating them.

Wouldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to use that even if the gym teacher wasn’t such a weirdo.

Needless to say, most everyone I know worked hard those years to put the Axe CEO’s kids through college.

we weren’t even given time to shower after gym class in high school.

i will echo, what seems to be the consensus here, that the people who didnt seem to have any problems showering were the athletes (football, basketball, baseball, ect.) because they all kinda grew up changing around the other guys and didnt see it as ‘gay’ or anything like that.

you’re dirty, sweaty and gross = you take a shower.

You dont have to be in there staring at dongs the whole time. Just get in, do your business and get out. I can see how ‘kids’ (middle school aged for sure) could feel self conscious doing it though.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
…you didn’t have people sneaking cell phone pics of your wang to share to the entire unit while giggling and trying to destroy you. The inside of a high school is like an entire different world – find your place, shut your mouth, and try to survive the next 4 years, else things are going to get nasty.[/quote]

sounds like sooooooomeone was a nerd in highschool :slight_smile:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
I think this made the news because there is the cultural assumption that guys have no problems with body image or taking to the extreme, since of privacy. Hell, we pee outside, right? So it is shocking to some that their assumptions were false.

I have yet to see a men’s locker facility that has shower curtains but I hear the women’s lockers do (except in movies where, well, you know…)[/quote]

The Gold’s I trained at in Florida had curtains and separate showers.

This is actually just not strange. Guys are self conscious at that age. High school is a bitch. It is all about cliques and popularity. If you are not one of the “cool kids”, the last thing you want is to give anyone more ammo…and if you are one of the “awkward” ones at that age, that is likely all you think about when you even picture public showering in your head.

Now, if you are 25 and still acting the same, you may have some self esteem issues or a warped self image.

I mean, shit, I was in middle school when Saved By The Bell was on. At that age, I thought that was the ideal look for someone that age and I was far from it. I remember thinking I just wanted to be as big as ‘Slater’ on that show.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
we weren’t even given time to shower after gym class in high school.[/quote]

This.
I was in high school back in the 80s. After P/E class you barely time to change out of your shorts and t-shirt, much less shower.

Besides, has no one noticed the epidemic of fat young people? Back in my day, guys with moobs and rolls hanging over their belts would sooner die than be seen naked - even if it’s just by other guys. There were only a handful like that however. Now there are many more, but I can’t imagine that alone erases the embarrassment factor.

Much of the world doesn’t shower regularly.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I mean, shit, I was in middle school when Saved By The Bell was on. At that age, I thought that was the ideal look for someone that age and I was far from it. I remember thinking I just wanted to be as big as ‘Slater’ on that show.[/quote]

AC Slater was pretty jacked back in the day! I remember thinking the same thing back then lol

One more thing to throw in…unless they are truly involved in sports, most of these kids aren’t doing enough at PE to get that sweaty anyway. These little fat kids aren’t exactly running marathons at 3pm.

The only kids really getting sweaty are the guys playing football or basketball.

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:
Never had this issue in gym class in high school or middle school and definitely never after football, wrestling or lacrosse practice. If you DIDN’T shower we talked about you for being a dirty pig. That WAS over 20 years ago, though, so I am guessing guys have gotten more “sensitive” in the ensuing years.[/quote]

Not really. You were probably a jock back then. I was a late bloomer and a nerd. Guys like us didn’t fit in well with guys like you at that age.

Also, our school didn’t have sports.[/quote]

I was in high school from 1990 - 1994 and played football, basketball and track at various times. Not even the jocks showered after gym class. All of the football players showered after practice, but the other sports not as much. I lived across the street from the high school so I just went home and showered after practice.

[quote]gregron wrote:
You dont have to be in there staring at dongs the whole time. [/quote]

Well, to be quite frank… I happened to observe an interesting discrepancy between “members” in the showers.

Our wrestling team’s heavyweight was hung like an elevator button, while the 119 lb jv wrestler was hung like a pack mule.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Well, to be quite frank… I happened to observe an interesting discrepancy between “members” in the showers.

Our wrestling team’s heavyweight was hung like an elevator button, while the 119 lb jv wrestler was hung like a pack mule.
[/quote]

Maybe he was a grower and not a shower.

Stop comparing dicks, dude.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

2 things

a) Wow. I mean just… wow. Did you ever publish these findings?

b) I would dispute your qualifications to post on this topic. At 4’2", you should be able to complete a wash/rinse cycle in about 15-20 seconds.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

Maybe he was a grower and not a shower.

Stop comparing dicks, dude.[/quote]

You’ve just revealed YOUR particular situation, eh?

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

2 things

a) Wow. I mean just… wow. Did you ever publish these findings?

b) I would dispute your qualifications to post on this topic. At 4’2", you should be able to complete a wash/rinse cycle in about 15-20 seconds.

[/quote]

a) Why publish anything? There were about 15 other dudes in that shower whom all noticed most likely.

b) Funny! But I’m 5’4".

Dammit. When I go back to review what I posted, I seem to lose a bit of credibility with that stupid jiggly avatar.