No Prostate Training

Hey,
I recently started training a client who had his prostate recently removed. I searched around and read up on the problem, but at most I get a vague understanding of what he can and can not do.
So far, I know to keep plyometrics out and most hard impact type aerobics. I’m assuming his squats and deads have to stay pretty light. Other than that I’m pretty sure I’m in the clear.
I’ve already contacted his doc and was given some basic doc dribble along with tips on how to train any client.

If anyone has experience or knowledge in this area, fill me in if you could.

Hey, gusto, don’t be second-guessing the guy’s doc…even if it is the standard play-it-safe dribble. It takes a while for the body to heal post-surgery. When I had surgery on my shoulder, my arm was immobilized for a couple of weeks, at which point I started into simple ROM stuff. I wasn’t back to semi-normal – i.e., back to STARTING to lift – for 3 months.

Play it safe with the guy and put it all back on the doc. Focus on the guy’s diet and get him walking if he’s able and has the energy. I don’t know where you live, but if the weather permits, get him out in the sunlight. Sunlight and fresh air help with depression – or in preventing it.

Another thing, he needs to include green tea, broccoli and a small (5-6 oz.) glass of red wine (high in resveretrol) into his diet EVERY day – but no more than a single glass. They are all cancer protective. It will help with body comp, too.

Get the bad fats out of his diet. Get the nitrates and nitrites (think deli meal and hot dogs) and other chemicals out of his diet. He needs to get the sugar (suppresses the immune system) out of his diet, too. Whole foods, unprocessed, organic if at all possible! He needs to eat for health first and foremost. The good thing is it won’t conflict with the body comp stuff. Read some of JB’s stuff, like the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs and some of LL’s work, too. LL has writen on the health benefits (and cancer protective benefits) of adding beans and lentils into your diet.

Good luck to both of you!!! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Wow…thanx for the input. I should’ve been more clear about his doctor. His nutritional ideas were good and heeded. His fitness advice…eh…pretty vague, at best. But I took it all into consideration. I’m located in Tampa, fl… so the walks are easy to do. Some more head pounding research gave me the notion to build around corrective core excercises (mainly for internal obliques and pelvic floor).
I’ll check through the archives here also.
thanx again

From what I’ve read about cancer, I probably won’t go for prostate removal immediately. If it’s slow growing cancer that’s encased, it might be best to fight it with alternative therapy. The usual treatment, surgery, chemotherapy and radiation isn’t really the best route but that’s what they do anyway. It is big profit maker unlike the alternative therapies. The doctors are not obligated to tell you that. It’s against the hospital policy because it would mean loss of money! If you find a mass on x ray, that’s encased, it is best to leave it alone! The kicker is that once you do the biopsy, it pulls out the cancer cells and “re-seed” along the path of exit and START the spreading of cancer! That’s exactly why they immediately push for you to take chemotherapy and radiation! Either the doctors don’t know it or they don’t tell you that! Somewhere, i read that it doesn’t make much of difference between keeping the prostate and removing it. I thought it was interesting…

Gusto, I wouldn’t treat him any differently than any other client who’s had surgery. If it hurts or feels funny, back off or don’t do it at all. He doesn’t need to be straining with max anything for three months post surgery.

I think a lot of people would benefit from an emphasis on core stability, but I’d look at everything. How are his shoulders (internally rotated) and ham to quad ratio? How are his calves? Has he neglected them? How’s his forearm and grip strength? Those are common areas of weakness or muscular imbalance.

I’m not a PT (either personal trainer or physical therapist), so take what I say under advisement, but let him heal, don’t go heavy, lay a foundation, identify muscular imbalances so that you can start correcting them. And over time increase intensity and/or volume as he starts to feel better. In the meantime, focus of GPP, walking, diet, etc., laying a good foundation and correcting deficiencies/imbalances.

Sounds like you’re doing pretty good on your own, though. (grin)

Tungsten, great info, there!!!

Thx for the insite Tungsten,

Terry, you got good insight into the pt biz. The steps you speak of for clients safety and corrective training…have already been taken and implemented into my clients regiment. His goals do not included getting maximally strong…so I don’t mess with the max lift stuff. I’m pretty thorough with assessments, corrective training, and take notes from NASM, Chek, Staley, and King. Thx alot…you should look into the biz. There is always a need for a few good trainers.