No Promises This Time

45 min swim followed by 2 mile run. 80f/26.6c today. After lunch headed out to the college for some throwing.
Discus - 12 power position
6 - South Africans
18 - full spin

over the shot put area determined to decide on how i was going to throw. Went threw all 3 methods and finally had to admit to the fact I’m getting old and slower. Rotation was definitely out which left the glide or the good old “scoot”. I’m getting across the ring quicker with the scoot so decided to go with the old fashion way, The last time a world record was set using this method was in 1948 by a man named Charles Fonville. He was also the only man to set the WR weighing under 200#. His quickness was hard to believe. Been studying him and some of the old throws recently. We’ll see what happens.

9 Likes

Really impressive here.

1 Like

Congrats on that DL PR! Do you do your snatches at full (squat) depth or the power variation? Either way I am extremely impressed. Strong Clean & Press too. :+1:t2:

1 Like

The snatches here I did from the floor up but there’s very little squat. At most I do my a half squat when I get near my limit.

1 Like

Yesterday
Leg Press - 115wu, 205 x 15, 340 x 12, 440 x 8
Sng leg press - 90 x 15, 140 x 12, 180 x 10 ea
step up to maybe 12" platform: same leg x10 holding 2 x 20, 10 x 30, 8 x 40
Bench - 135wu, 185, 225 x 10, 245 x 8, 265 x 4
smith incline – 105wu, 175 x 12, 195 x 10, 205 x 8
Cables xover - low to high - 30s x 15, 40s x 10, 50s x 8
flys (bent arm) - 25wu, 35 x 12, 45 x 10, 50 x 7
cgb - 135 x 12, 185, 215 x 10
Overhead ti ext (ez bar) - 60 x 18, 90 x 12, 110 x 8

Today
Dojo - kata x 3/4 hr., Escrima sticks and knives x 1/2 hour, hvy bag x 15 min.

8 Likes

That Eastern stuff in that last sentence…

1 Like

DL - 135wu, 225, 275, 315 x 5 x 5 (fast)
hypers - 3 x max w/25 plate
sng arm clean/press (r) - 30wu, 5 x 40, 50, 60, (w/dip) 75 x1,1,1 (l) 30wu, 50 x 5 x 5
cable front raise - 20wu, 25, 30 x 8, 40,x 8
hammer curls – 35 x 12, 40 x 10, 45 x 8
reverse curls (Ez bar) - 110 x 10 x 3
Cable overhand wrist curls 30, 40, 50 x max ea.

8 Likes

Just too beautiful to not throw. Packed up the implements and head out to A&M.
Won’t bore you with the details but basically praciced the scoot in the shot and gained a 1’ 3" over my last sessions. Now to concentrate on more speed.
Discus session was good, too. Concentrated on positioning for the release and speed getting there.
Amazing how you have memories triggered by things from the past. Grass, and mainly wild onions, popping up. The smell took me straight back to school. The cool nip of fall in the air still makes me think football, the smell of grass in spring is T&F. I think it’s one of the reason I always go to a gym. The smell of the gym and the clang of weights just triggers good memories in me. Enough, bottom line I had a great day. Crappy weather coming back tomorrow.

8 Likes

"Those were the days, my friend…

…For in our hearts, the dreams are still the same."

1 Like

I can relate on the smells. I have smells that take me back to my childhood sometimes (and anytime since). Way to get after it on those last few sessions. Glad you were able to get outside and throw too.

1 Like

Well, all that and you’re as much a meathead as the rest of us.

1 Like

Rough night for the area. Power went out about 800pm. (Good excuse to make up Dagwood type sandwichs for supper). Lot of straight line wind damage and and a F1 tornado set down right up the road. We were lucky. No damage except a lot of braches snapped and thrown around. Took a ride around this morning checking on some of the older folks (not young like me). Luckily no reported injuries. Some downed trees and several roofs with damage. My swimming river is running real high but we’re enough up a rise to not have to worry. Getting a little reprieve tonight and then the next wave’s suppose to come through starting around 0900-1000 tomorrow. Hoping to get to the gym before then.

8 Likes

We’re just having wind and slight here but no idea about north Louisiana.

1 Like

Yeah, they played this up big time here yesterday. Weather alerts all day, said the storm was moving at 70 mph. 70 mph winds etc…
We had a spring thunderstorm :roll_eyes:
Once again I thanked the Lord they were full of shit.

1 Like

It’s here in Ga now. Hoping for the best. Glad you mostly dodged it.

2 Likes

Saturday - morning at dojo, afternoon at gym
Today - Discus and shot throwing

7 Likes

Getting in some more throwing I see. You planning on competing again in the summer season?

1 Like

So far I’ve got 5 meets if they all hold up. May thru July. Looking forward to it. First time in this age bracket.

5 Likes

I predict domination.

1 Like

^Yep.

1 Like