T Nation

No One Talking About War in Afghanistan

Why is nobody talking about our current war? We are talking about doubling troops there, we are experiencing high casualty rates. Yet no media outlets are bashing Obama. Where is Cindy Sheehan, why is she not protesting against Obama? Why is the left not focusing on this.

When Bush was in office all we heard every night was the total body count and how we are losing the war. Im a little disgusted at how they treat this president. Im worried that Obama will send more troops in a we might have another Vietnam, which they will blame on Bush.
Im just ranting. But still these people do not make any sense.

There’s not a lot of fuss about it because most people agree to add more troops to Afghanistan, doesn’t matter if you are left or right. I bet even Cindy Sheehan would support this (okay, maybe not Cindy Sheehan).

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Did someone say something about the Iraqi War? I think it would be a good idea to compare what’s happening and happened in these two places.

[quote]jre67t wrote:

Why is nobody talking about our current war? We are talking about doubling troops there, we are experiencing high casualty rates. Yet no media outlets are bashing Obama. Where is Cindy Sheehan, why is she not protesting against Obama? Why is the left not focusing on this.

When Bush was in office all we heard every night was the total body count and how we are losing the war. Im a little disgusted at how they treat this president. Im worried that Obama will send more troops in a we might have another Vietnam, which they will blame on Bush.
Im just ranting. But still these people do not make any sense.[/quote]

Dude.

Micheal Jackson died.

Show some respect.

[quote]orion wrote:
jre67t wrote:

Im just ranting. But still these people do not make any sense.

Dude.

Micheal Jackson died.

Show some respect.

[/quote]

Haha Awsome!

V

First of all, there are fundamental differences between the war on Iraq and the one in Afghanistan. I won’t go into those. They’re trivial.

Secondly, Obama didn’t start either. Bush did.

Finally, the casualties (on either sides) are nowhere near the clusterfsck in Iraq.

Our military action is akin to a floating crap or card game that just keeps moving to a new location. Keep the game rolling boys, 7 come 11! All the subsidiary businesses that feed and supply the troops have to stay in the game as well or the politicos in the know may have to give back some payola money or stop getting their “dividend” cash bags.

The youth of America should be instrumental in the anti-war movement, but guess what? They’re all walking around heads down texting their buds. Sad, really sad.

BG

[quote]jre67t wrote:

Im just ranting. But still these people do not make any sense.[/quote]

"Brzezinski himself has recognized how his gratuitous machinations in Afghanistan in 1978-79 produced the responses of al Qaeda and jihadi terrorism. Asked in 1998 whether he regretted his adventurism, Brzezinski replied:

“Regret what? The secret operation was an excellent idea. It drew the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? On the day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter, saying, in essence: ‘We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam War.’”

Nouvel Observateur: “And neither do you regret having supported Islamic fundamentalism, which has given arms and advice to future terrorists?”

Brzezinski: “What is more important in world history? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some agitated Muslims or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the Cold War?”

When he was asked whether Islamic fundamentalism represented a world menace, Brzezinski replied, “Nonsense!”[8]

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=SCO20090806&articleId=14672

In 1809, the British Empire sent an army of 12,000 into what is now Afghanistan. It was a disaster. What they hoped to accomplish is still a mystery to me, as is why WE are sending anyone there.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. That was a quote from someone that was very wise.

As bad as jungle warfare was during Vietnam, this is the same or worse to deal with. Again, the bad guys look the same as the good guys. The terrain is tough on the body and equipment. And the Afghans have all the time in the world to continue their act of confounding anyone dimwitted enough to invade them.

We have lost the day we stepped onto their turf. But everyone buys into the idiocy of hunting down the terrorist at the source. I say, starve them out and let them play their own game in their own backyard and deal with them when they’re in our dojo.

Democracy is not for everyone and the harder we try to jam it down their throats, the harder they fight back. And rightfully so.

BG

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:

In 1809, the British Empire sent an army of 12,000 into what is now Afghanistan. It was a disaster. What they hoped to accomplish is still a mystery to me, as is why WE are sending anyone there.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. That was a quote from someone that was very wise.

As bad as jungle warfare was during Vietnam, this is the same or worse to deal with. Again, the bad guys look the same as the good guys. The terrain is tough on the body and equipment. And the Afghans have all the time in the world to continue their act of confounding anyone dimwitted enough to invade them.

We have lost the day we stepped onto their turf. But everyone buys into the idiocy of hunting down the terrorist at the source. I say, starve them out and let them play their own game in their own backyard and deal with them when they’re in our dojo.

Democracy is not for everyone and the harder we try to jam it down their throats, the harder they fight back. And rightfully so.

BG
[/quote]

Read Killing Bin Laden,. The Afghans aren’t as tough as people think. We want to own the country, it would be possible. The Afghans are about money like everyone else.

Now whether or not we should be there can be debated.

Yeah it is a war that will be difficult to win as past history proves. My point was and still is why is there not a daily body count of soldiers lost. We hear bits and pieces but not your daily rant by the media. I dont see Cindy Sheehan out there chained up at Nobamas vacation home, like at Crawford Ranch.
Your right lixy there are differences in the reasons why, but why is our damn media in sleep it POTUS.