T Nation

No More Canadian Penny

So the Canadian Penny is going extinct. Apparently it costs 1.6 cents to produce a Canadian penny. Now all purchases will be rounded.

I have $100 worth of $2 bills in my house. I guess I’m going to start collecting pennies.

And now for more hard-hitting Canadian news…“PROMINENT LOCAL CAT STUCK IN TREE”.

Front page material right here.

Time for the US Penny to go the same way, take the Nickle too as far as I’m concerned. Waste of resources.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Time for the US Penny to go the same way, take the Nickle too as far as I’m concerned. Waste of resources.[/quote]

Yeah, the US penny and nickle cost more to make than they are worth too.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
And now for more hard-hitting Canadian news…“PROMINENT LOCAL CAT STUCK IN TREE”.

Front page material right here.[/quote]

No more take a penny, leave a penny containers…

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Time for the US Penny to go the same way, take the Nickle too as far as I’m concerned. Waste of resources.[/quote]

H4M endorses this idea

[quote]therajraj wrote:
So the Canadian Penny is going extinct. Apparently it costs 1.6 cents to produce a Canadian penny. Now all purchases will be rounded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/03/29/federalbudget-flaherty-penny-cent.html

I have $100 worth of $2 bills in my house. I guess I’m going to start collecting pennies.[/quote]

It’s not really meaningful to individuals, but I’m curious what kind of effect it will have on charitys that rely on people’s change for their donations.

As long as we’re rounding down.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/03/29/federalbudget-flaherty-penny-cent.html

I have $100 worth of $2 bills in my house. I guess I’m going to start collecting pennies.[/quote]

It’s not really meaningful to individuals, but I’m curious what kind of effect it will have on charitys that rely on people’s change for their donations.[/quote]

I wasn’t old enough at the time, but I bet strip club patrons were pissed when the $2 bill was retired.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

It’s not really meaningful to individuals, but I’m curious what kind of effect it will have on charitys that rely on people’s change for their donations.[/quote]

Guess people will actually have to make a conscious effort to give alms. Kind of like genuinely giving a shit…oh my what a concept.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

That’s an interesting point. Personally, I never give spare change to those causes. When I donate, it’s a larger sum online a couple times a year. Maybe people will end up giving larger donations?

Also, if I buy some thing thats costs $4.52, they round down. So the charity would get, 50 cents instead 48 cents. Unless there are people that only donate the pennies.SMH.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I wasn’t old enough at the time, but I bet strip club patrons were pissed when the $2 bill was retired.[/quote]

The first time I went to Montreal, this confused the shit out of me. I was used to sliding dollar bills down the strippers bodies. I felt like a dick standing there with a bunch of coins in my hand lol.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[/quote]

In the countries where they have done this they round up/down to the nearest. Either way it is only pennies per transaction.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[/quote]

In the countries where they have done this they round up/down to the nearest. Either way it is only pennies per transaction.
[/quote]
Down or bust.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I wasn’t old enough at the time, but I bet strip club patrons were pissed when the $2 bill was retired.[/quote]

The first time I went to Montreal, this confused the shit out of me. I was used to sliding dollar bills down the strippers bodies. I felt like a dick standing there with a bunch of coins in my hand lol.[/quote]
I loved it! There was a club in Calgary where the strippers are nude except for a little belt with a magnet on it and as they go around the stage, instead of sliding dollars in a leg garter you throw coins at them.

I mean stripping is a pretty fucking derogatory career choice but that was hilariously ridiculous.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

The first time I went to Montreal, this confused the shit out of me. I was used to sliding dollar bills down the strippers bodies. I felt like a dick standing there with a bunch of coins in my hand lol.[/quote]
I loved it! There was a club in Calgary where the strippers are nude except for a little belt with a magnet on it and as they go around the stage, instead of sliding dollars in a leg garter you throw coins at them.

I mean stripping is a pretty fucking derogatory career choice but that was hilariously ridiculous.[/quote]

Lol. Yeah, I loved the strip clubs in Montreal. Went back 2 more times. In the one we went to, you lay back on the stage with the coin on your face and they’d pick it up with their tits. I noticed they did that less and less each trip I went. Fuckin inflation.

RIP 99c stores

[quote]therajraj wrote:

True story - in college, my “thing” was to tip hot bartenders with 2 dollar bills. Cleaned everyone out of them and did it for two semesters. Worked like a charm.

Are you looking to get rid of them? Because…you know.

[quote]John Romaniello wrote:
Worked like a charm.[/quote]

implying the annoyingly handsome man handing them the offbeat bills had nothing to do with the “charm”.

I’ll be the judge of this tactic.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I mean stripping is a pretty fucking derogatory career choice but that was hilariously ridiculous.[/quote]

Far as I know that’s one of the big appeals to some of the strip joints in Calgary is playing the “games” ie throwing loonies at strippers. I can remember one evening where one of the girls was going around perv row, and anyone who wanted to play, she’d turn around on her hands and knees and hold up a rolled up poster to her rear. If you got a coin in the poster you won the poster. Others had similar “games.” I went home with a few posters that night.