T Nation

No More BBQ at my Apartment

This same thing happened to me. We were told to remove our grills or the fire department would give us a ticket and there was nothing they could do. Me or anyone in the complex EVER removed our grills and we were never fined…

i later learned it was the fire department that warned management to warn us about removing the grills (fire hazard), the apt complex really didn’t enforce it. and like i said we never heard anything about it again. so maybe ask if you can leave your grill out at your own discretion…wait to see if you’re ever fined, then remove it.

just a thought…

Here I was pissed because they told me to remove my window air conditioning unit (which reduced my electricity bill by over 250 bucks a month) because it was against some kind of property agreement. Mind you, the people I rent from don’t give a shit, but the Housing Association in the area won’t stop sending them warning letters and fees because of it.

Some of these people get off on enforcing these rules. I personally don’t appreciate being harassed as if I am destroying an apartment when I know I am a good tenant and I’m never even late in the rent.

Things like this make me want to buy my own house…somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Here I was pissed because they told me to remove my window air conditioning unit (which reduced my electricity bill by over 250 bucks a month) because it was against some kind of property agreement. Mind you, the people I rent from don’t give a shit, but the Housing Association in the area won’t stop sending them warning letters and fees because of it.

Some of these people get off on enforcing these rules. I personally don’t appreciate being harassed as if I am destroying an apartment when I know I am a good tenant and I’m never even late in the rent.

Things like this make me want to buy my own house…somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.[/quote]

…you live in Texas and cannot have a window A/C unit?

This is abuse of the worst kind.

Grilling = cooking quickly over flame/high heat

Barbeque = cooking slowly over low heat.

http://www.bbqmyths.com/grilling.html

It pains me when people use these words interchangeably as if they mean the same thing.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
FREEEEDDOOOMMMM (braveheart)

so today I got a letter saying that I can no longer bbq at my apt. First we weren’t allowed charcoal so I got propane…now none whatsoever!

F*ck these guys! If I can’t have my bbq then MGMT can’t have their front teeth as I’ll remove them with my fist.

Their COMMUNIST I tell ya…COMMUNIST!

How can I eat my steak and chicken now? George Foreman dries them out too much.

BBQ is like taking away part of what makes me a MAN!

I’m pissed and unfortunately I cannot do a damn thing about it besides bitch and moan on the internet.

F*ck this place…this may be the one thing that pushes me over the edge. LOL You all may be seeing me in the newspapers very soon. LOL

/rant

isn’t it bs how dumbass rules and laws are made in the world and especially in the United States…if there is one thing that ‘irks’ me more than anything, its f*cked up rules that don’t have to be there that have been put in place by the higher power for who knows what reason.

oh well…life goes on.

As you can tell I really like to BBQ.

I’m going to protest.[/quote]

Speaking from experience here this may be a fire code issue that your apartment complex does not understand, or the local Fire Marshall is enforcing the fire code. Also be carefull about protesting, in your lease there may be a provision that if you don’t comply you can be evicted.

Granted as a firefighter we love it when you guys grill on a wooden deck with another wooden deck right above you to contain all the heat and catch fire, or for the small grills that superheat the area right below them to the point of combustion. They burn very nicely (usually requires a two alarm response and we get to do what we love)!!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Things like this make me want to buy my own house…somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

This is abuse of the worst kind.[/quote]

I honestly think shit like this happens whenever the people on the home owner’s association include a majority over the age of 60 who sit at home with nothing else to do but pick out things to bitch about.

I don’t have kids, don’t throw parties (much), and take care of the property…but in a city that often gets to 95 degrees or hotter in the summer, I can’t have an ac unit in the window.

That unit is the difference between a $400 bill and a $150 bill.

I honestly think shit like this happens whenever the people on the home owner’s association include a majority over the age of 60 who sit at home with nothing else to do but pick out things to bitch about.[/quote]

Generally, the people that want to be on the board of a homeowner’s association are the very people that shouldn’t be, and the people that would make decent board members have no desire to be involved in such crap. Much like people in politics really. My wife and I were able to locate a neighborhood in Dallas that is nice and had no homeowner’s association so we could avoid the busy bodies that typically run such organizations.

George Foreman + marinades/brines would be your best bet for now I think.

LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I honestly think shit like this happens whenever the people on the home owner’s association include a majority over the age of 60 who sit at home with nothing else to do but pick out things to bitch about.

I don’t have kids, don’t throw parties (much), and take care of the property…but in a city that often gets to 95 degrees or hotter in the summer, I can’t have an ac unit in the window.

That unit is the difference between a $400 bill and a $150 bill.[/quote]

Wait! are you saying the window unit helps you save money or the opposite of that? If the window unit is helping keep your central air more efficient then I would make the landlord fix/update the central air. Offer as proof that it is broken your electric bills showing the discrepancy…and tell the HOA to eat it…make them think you are a “tree-hugger” who’s just trying to “save the planet”. Let them try and fight that PC battle.

I’m pretty sure it’s a fire thing and the managers are just complying to it.

sorry but there is no replacement for a grill. Nothin!

It’s not really the grill thats pissing me off but the way I see society going. For every moron out there we make another rule to cater to them and the rest of us just move along with the flow like sheep. I’m F*CKING TIRED OF IT!

probably because I live in southern cali where we have retared rules to the left, the right, the front, the back, diagonal, you name it. lol

Either way I will be grilling…even if I have to talk to the damn mayor.

This is my college protest that I’m passionate about.

Like X said, you can’t throw a juicy T-Bone on a foreman…and even if you did it just isn’t the same.

I started gaining muscle again NATTY once I got this grill…its not going out without a fight! lol

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Wait! are you saying the window unit helps you save money or the opposite of that? If the window unit is helping keep your central air more efficient then I would make the landlord fix/update the central air. Offer as proof that it is broken your electric bills showing the discrepancy…and tell the HOA to eat it…make them think you are a “tree-hugger” who’s just trying to “save the planet”. Let them try and fight that PC battle.[/quote]

Good post. Not sure if it would be effective but it’s probably worth a shot.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Wait! are you saying the window unit helps you save money or the opposite of that? If the window unit is helping keep your central air more efficient then I would make the landlord fix/update the central air. Offer as proof that it is broken your electric bills showing the discrepancy…and tell the HOA to eat it…make them think you are a “tree-hugger” who’s just trying to “save the planet”. Let them try and fight that PC battle.

Good post. Not sure if it would be effective but it’s probably worth a shot.[/quote]

I’ll try that. Spending that extra cash on electricity sucks when it can be avoided.

I know it’s really boiled down to the principal of the matter but if you really need your BBQ (which every man does), just go do it somewhere else. First semester my room mate and i BBQ’d a half butt and some of JB’s chili and it lasted us months.

If you really can’t BBQ just cook like 2 butts at once at a friends and freeze it.

Also… people complaining about BBQ smoke? I dunno where you live but people congregate around BBQ smoke in Alabama… ESPECIALLY with poor college kids.

Well since I hate grilling outside in the winter months here, I will often use the oven broiler, it’s kinda like reverse grilling because the heat is from the top, but you get a similar cook with some nice seared meat. It is by FAR better than pan frying a nice steak.

V

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
They burn very nicely (usually requires a two alarm response and we get to do what we love)!![/quote]

Eat burnt barbeque?

[quote]JGerman wrote:
lanchefan1 wrote:
They burn very nicely (usually requires a two alarm response and we get to do what we love)!!

Eat burnt barbeque?
[/quote]

Nope the nice structure fires that follow somebody getting hammered firing up the grill and forgetting about it. Subsequently burning down most of the building. Granted I’M NOT SAYING THE OP WOULD DO THIS!!! But that is the reason for the change in I believe the 2006 fire codes.

Use a cast iron skillet. Pan sear the steak (30 seconds each side) and place in a high heat oven (about 2 minutes each side for med rare). Good stuff and a good alternative when you aren’t allowed to grill/bbq/whatevah. And you can make a quick pan sauce with the brown bits and some red wine…

[quote]nvh95 wrote:
Use a cast iron skillet. Pan sear the steak (30 seconds each side) and place in a high heat oven (about 2 minutes each side for med rare). Good stuff and a good alternative when you aren’t allowed to grill/bbq/whatevah. And you can make a quick pan sauce with the brown bits and some red wine… [/quote]

Yeah, that fine for one meal, but what about if he cooked most of his food for the week at once?

nvh95 wrote:
Use a cast iron skillet. Pan sear the steak (30 seconds each side) and place in a high heat oven (about 2 minutes each side for med rare). Good stuff and a good alternative when you aren’t allowed to grill/bbq/whatevah. And you can make a quick pan sauce with the brown bits and some red wine…

Yeah, that’s fine for one meal, but what about if he cooked most of his food for the week at once? [/quote]

My skillet holds 6 chicken breasts at a time or 2 decent sized steaks, so definitely not ideal for bulk cooking. At least not for you guys - okay for me. Only thing I can think of is to buy two skillets (sear in one - transfer to the one in the oven). Again, not ideal. :frowning:

nvh95 wrote:

Yeah, that’s fine for one meal, but what about if he cooked most of his food for the week at once? [/quote]

May I recommend the Weber Ranch? Its so damn big you’re gonna need a forest in your backyard to fuel this bad-ass, BBQin’ mo-fo.

Expect a low-back hypertrophy day when it is delivered if you don’t have the yokes to lift it out of its crate in one shot.

By the way, Chuck Norris highly recommends this product.