No Machine 30-10-30 Routines

Here’s my current 30-10-30 no machine routine. I alternate workout A with B, two to three times per week.
A:

1. Incline press
  2. Chin-ups
  3. Incline flyes
  4. Lateral raises
  5. Romanian DL’s
  6. Squats
  7. Weighted carries (not 30-10-30)
  8. Ab wheel rollout (not 30-10-30)

B:

1. Bent rows
  2. Dips
  3. Pullover
  4. Dumbbell shoulder press
  5. Curls
  6. Triceps ext.
  7. Sled push (not 30-10-30)
  8. Ab wheel rollout (not 30-10-30)

Shoulders are banged-up and flat bench doesn’t go well, hence the incline focus (also because I noticed with age the harder it is to keep upper pecs full). Also, I think the dips and pullovers balance out the incline work. Just getting it dialed-in and so far have used too much weight on most of the 30-10-30 exercises. I think starting much lighter is the key (at least for me, as doing something that turns into 30-2-10 is a buzzkill). I’m going to go with starting weights (bands for dips and chins) that allow me, without question, to get full 30-10-30 for all the exercises.

2 Likes

I believe a lot in pre-exhaust. Doing the Incline Flyes before the Incline Presses some days could spur some growth — or at least lack of upper chest loss as we age. Similarly, the POs done before the Rows is another good pre-exhaust.
The Rom DLs and DB Carries the same day could be a grip challenge. You might move the DLs to Workout ‘B’, unless your plan is to hit the grip hard and then give it some rest (AJ had a study showing how long it could take forearms to recover).
All-in-all a well thought-out routine. It’s not always easy to get a quick turnaround with a free weight set-up, so I really like the two conditioning exercises finishing up each workout!
Best, Scott

The program doesn’t have any pre exhaust! It’s purposely set up the way it is. Really shouldnt recommend adding things to amp up the intensity

Good thoughts. When I do weighted carries, I start with overhead, then rack position, then standard (farmer’s style), so not quite as much grip work as if standard carries for the entire time. And, yes, while B is still a good workout, I’ve intentionally made it a little less than A, so when I say I’m doing the routine 2-3 times a week, I may just only do A once, then either B once or twice. E.g. M/W/F = B/A/B or TU/TH = A/B.

1 Like

Relax — it’s localized focus. I seriously doubt the overall system/body load will be unaffected. IF he does the Flyes first, then one of two things will happen: 1) he’ll have to drop the Press weights 10-20 lbs or 2) shoot for less, like 20-7-20 or 25-8-25.

If the body wasn’t affected Dr Darden would have included pre exhaust n the program. You want to do it go ahead. But dont advise others to!

1. This was NOT Dr. D’s program. It was dhudson’s program.
  2. Dr. D’s program, at least the ones in the new Extreme Challenge book DO contain pre-exhaust in several of the routines. Please read the book before popping off again.
  3. I merely suggested some ideas and things to think about. dhudson is a big boy and can decide quite well to try or ignore what I suggested!

Darden has promoted pre-exhaustion techniques in the ebook and in the killing fat book pertaining to 30-10-30 method of training

1 Like

My bad, does have pre ex for shoulders only in a couple workouts. Forgot that