T Nation

No Love for SSS?

So one of my favorite variations that I've been playing around with lately is SSS. I almost never see anyone post about it, but it's probably one of my favorite ways to train (along with SVR, another criminally underrated set up).

5 submaximal singles is harder than it sounds, especially if you treat each rep like a max effort lift and try to move it as perfectly and explosively as possible. I love working up slowly every week of the cycle, making sure I hit all 5 singles with perfect technique and speed. I feel like this is helping me bust through a plateau on squats, as I have struggled for years to adapt to the feeling of having a heavy bar on my back. Light sets for high reps were easy, but as soon as the bar started bending, my performance dropped off substantially. Most likely due to lack of confidence and practice with heavy singles. Not anymore!

I also love the speed work. It really gets me primed and loose before the main lifts. I used to do a couple sets of jumps or throws in between warm up sets, but doing them before the main lifts for a slightly high volume, combined with a ton of different sprint variations, has really helped with my explosiveness.

And the size work allows you so many variations and rep schemes that it almost feels impossible to plateau. Currently working with the basic 5x10 set up prescribed in the book, but I plan on working up the weight on these over the next few cycles.

It's an awesome program to build maximal strength, muscular size, and awesome athleticism. What else could you really want?

Just curious who else has used SSS and how you work it into your program. I tried to not give away too much from the book with respect to Jim, but if this is too much I will willingly edit the post. Just wanted to share my love of this style of training with the world and see who else has used it.

This is in Beyond, right? Do you remember what page

TOC has it listed as page 71. Right before the 75/85 volume work.

Im about to start a new cycle and needed help picking a template, thanks for your input and feedback bro

No problem man. Have fun with it. Only thing I would recommend is keeping the volume of back work high and the weight relatively light. I experimented with 5x5 weighted chins and pendlay rows and it just didn’t feel as good as 5x10-15 in between the upper body presses. Also, flip your size work with the singles (don’t do squat singles and then volume front squat for example). Just feels better to me.

[quote]breakingiron wrote:
Also, flip your size work with the singles (don’t do squat singles and then volume front squat for example). Just feels better to me.[/quote]

Your gonna have to explain this to me a bit man, just read the the book and JW recommends different movements. Do you mean you did the squat singles and the squat volume for the Size portion, etc…?

[quote]RagnarBlackmane wrote:

[quote]breakingiron wrote:
Also, flip your size work with the singles (don’t do squat singles and then volume front squat for example). Just feels better to me.[/quote]

Your gonna have to explain this to me a bit man, just read the the book and JW recommends different movements. Do you mean you did the squat singles and the squat volume for the Size portion, etc…?[/quote]

What I mean is if you’re doing front squats as your “squat size” and RDLs as your “DL size” I would recommend

Day 1
Back squat singles
RDL

Day 3
Deadlift singles
Front squat

And vice versa for the press and bench. I’ve always liked a slightly higher frequency. I see better reaults than Once a week, even if I kill the muscle/movement. If you’ve done well in the past only squatting once a week and so on, it might work for you.

I’ve definitely wanted to give this a go. Anyone else have experience with this?