T Nation

No Longer Have Time to Go to the Gym

hi. vacation is over and time for law school. I don’t have an idea yet what i should do to attain my dream physique. It’s sad that I can only spend 30 mins. to 1 hour working out. worse is that, i can’t even go to the nearest gym in our place due to time constraint. I have here 1 long bar, 2 short bars, and weights (2-2.5, 4-5, and 2-10 lbs.). I’m 20, 5’7 1/2" in height, and 140 lbs.

I just want to look bulky, and develop more my chest, bis, tris and abs. could you suggest a program for me? as of now, i only do push ups, and some crunches. i can have a 30-60 mins. workout EVERYDAY… thanks in advance.

and i don’t have a bench

the answer is don’t go to law school

Delay for a semester and work up enough cash to buy the essentials for a home gym.

Or if you can, save enough while going to school.

errr… thanks… but i don’t think i can take those advice… what if going to the gym once a week? would that help?

Going to the gym once a week is better than nothing. The little bit of equipment you have won’t get you very far.

Isn’t there a college gym on campus?

I bet there’s advice on here about making the best with what you’ve got to hand. Find some random heavy stuff and be inventive. I remember seeing 1 article about all the stuff you DON’T need to have to get a decent work out around here somewhere. Something about the failing Law Student with a shelf full of books who instead of cracking the spine on the one’s he has - goes out and buys more books, or something like that…

I think your fisrt step should be to decide on a work out that’s going to suit your needs and then find a way of being able to do it. Also check out the advice on diets for bulking and stuff - plenty to read

(while I think about it - I’ve heard also that training for long hours builds endurance rather than size - can someone help explain that for me as I don’t have the experience to be dishing advice on that)

[quote]beibitoi wrote:
hi. vacation is over and time for law school. I don’t have an idea yet what i should do to attain my dream physique. It’s sad that I can only spend 30 mins. to 1 hour working out. worse is that, i can’t even go to the nearest gym in our place due to time constraint. I have here 1 long bar, 2 short bars, and weights (2-2.5, 4-5, and 2-10 lbs.). I’m 20, 5’7 1/2" in height, and 140 lbs.

I just want to look bulky, and develop more my chest, bis, tris and abs. could you suggest a program for me? as of now, i only do push ups, and some crunches. i can have a 30-60 mins. workout EVERYDAY… thanks in advance.

and i don’t have a bench[/quote]

Invest in a trip to Tijuana for some extra powerful “vitamins”. ^^

[quote]beibitoi wrote:

I just want to look bulky, and develop more my chest, bis, tris and abs. could you suggest a program for me? as of now, i only do push ups, and some crunches. i can have a 30-60 mins. workout EVERYDAY… thanks in advance. [/quote]
If you have 60 minutes every day, you have plenty of time to workout. You’re biggest problem is going to be lack of weights. Look on craigslist if you can’t get to the school gym, and try to find a set of olympic weights. As far as programing, try doing a strength workout such as Rippietoes or a 5x5 program. Eat like a horse, and you’ll add slabs of muscle overall. If you find that your bis and tris don’t grow as much as you’d like, add some accessory work to the end of your workouts.

[quote]beibitoi wrote:

and i don’t have a bench[/quote]

get 300 pounds of weights, floor press, clean, jerk, frontsquat from a clean, deadlift, minitary press, row, door chinup bar, snatch. The results are attainable, you just have to figure out how to get it done. Floor press, deadlift, and frontsquats should be the staples, but realisticaly all the lifts are very good.

repcipe for a succecful 5x5:

Monday:
front squat
floor press
clean

Wednesday:
front squat
deadlift
military press

Friday:
front squat
floor press
clean

add chins/rows to taste

I just bought a nice squat rack for 150$ new, free shipping. You can use that for back squats, step ups, even as a pullup bar or bench press (if you have a free bench for underneath). With a squat rack like that and a free bench, you can hit the basic three easily as well as a number of other essential exercises. Like Zep said, get some olympic weights … my suggestion is the squat rack. As a lawyer you will be bankin’ anyway, so spend the money!